Help Wanted-- Vancouver

Heard a Help Wanted ad on a Vancouver golden oldies station today for AZ temporary workers .

Paying 'up to' $18.20 an hour*.

Wondering who could afford to live in Vancouver for $36,400 annually.

BC minimum wage is $12.65 an hour.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Help Wanted-- Vancouver

A single could live in a bachelor suite.

A married couple can both work and double their income...  Works best when the children are all attending school.

Where there is a will there is a way......

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

If you can find a bachelor suite in Vancouver proper, you're looking at over $1000 a month, which would be likely well over half most workers' take-home pay, assuming that they'd be working full-time (and that's a big assumption).

Something decent for a family would be at least three times that amount.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I saw (or read) a doc last year on the working conditions of your average River warehouse. It was done by a reporter who went 'undercover' to get hired in one of their temporary positions for the holiday season.... and it made working in the salt mines look a treat. 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

noman55
Community Member

In Quebec it is possible to have a fair life on such a salary but the daily transit to the job would be murder.  I guess minimum wage should be proportional to the cost of living in every community.  Every paradise has it's snake so do we.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Much the same in Victoria, unless you are willing to put up with the commute from Langford, Saanich, Sydney or even Duncan.
Better than Toronto commutes, I had a niece who returned to work after maternity leave to find her job had moved from a 30 minute commute to an hour and a half. She quit on her first day back.

(It was a while ago, the baby just started first year at Queens.)

Message 6 of 6
latest reply