Why I do not like eBay anymore

I have been buying from eBay for over 20 years.  While living in the US it was very good,  Also, it used to be genuine individuals who were listing on the eBay at that time.  Then the businessment got on to the platform.  Noe all the vendors of JUNK from especially China is on it through agents resident in the US.  It is a zoo out there.  One could always check and avoid 90% of them if careful.

Since I moved to Canada it has gotten worse.  It is the shipping racket now.  Big companies have got the 'contract' to do the shipping and customs clearance. They are trying to cut corners to sharpen profits.  It takes weeks if not months for you to get your purcase what you have won.  Fees are on the rise too.  For some items which are not subject to taxes and duties, it is not worth it.  The vendors have jacked-up the prices to cover their e-bay costs.

All-in-all, I seldom buy on eBay now.  It was a good thing which is going where the dinasaurus have gone.  I hate it.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Your choice!

Life is about choices!!

C'est la vie!

Que Sera, Sera!

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Funny how capitalism works.

US brands like Coca-Cola and McDonald’s have permeated the global economy and we take that for granted, but when the Chinese operate from the same playbook, it’s viewed as a catastrophe.

And don’t get me started on the Dole family’s presence in Hawaii.

As for the involvement and evolution of shipping services on eBay, it’s capitalism at work again. A need was seen, given that there are lots of “genuine individuals” who have no interest in or stomach for shipping out of the US under their own steam. We probably wouldn’t have services like the GSP and eIS if there were more sellers willing to ship internationally themselves.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply