Email notifications capped at 12 - another issue

So eBay will still only show a maximum of 12 items on the email notification, but now I've discovered that sometimes (not always) when it says there are 12 new items and it shows 12 items, often there are way more than 12 new listings fitting the description.

For example, if there are 17 new items that fit the description, for some of my email notifications it will tell me there are 17 new items (and show 12), BUT FOR SOME OTHER EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS IT WILL TELL ME THERE ARE 12 NEW ITEMS (and show 12). If I know there are more than 12 new listings I can click on "see all results" to see them all, but when it tells me there are 12 new items then there's no need for me to click on "see all items" ... or so I thought - so in fact I am missing some new listings that I want to see.

Anyone else experiencing this and is there a fix?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Email notifications capped at 12 - another issue

@cantona4ever wrote:

So eBay will still only show a maximum of 12 items on the email notification, but now I've discovered that sometimes (not always) when it says there are 12 new items and it shows 12 items, often there are way more than 12 new listings fitting the description.

For example, if there are 17 new items that fit the description, for some of my email notifications it will tell me there are 17 new items (and show 12), BUT FOR SOME OTHER EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS IT WILL TELL ME THERE ARE 12 NEW ITEMS (and show 12). If I know there are more than 12 new listings I can click on "see all results" to see them all, but when it tells me there are 12 new items then there's no need for me to click on "see all items" ... or so I thought - so in fact I am missing some new listings that I want to see.

Anyone else experiencing this and is there a fix?

In eBay's mind the rationale may be that 12 is enough. If you want to search further it would at your choice. It's similar to all the promoted items that show up in a listing where most, if not all are from overseas.

-Lotz

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I've noticed that if I do the same Search multiple times, that different listings will show up in each Search.

I think part of the algorithm is "Oh, you don't like any of those? Here are some others."

If a Search turns up one item that interests me, but not today, I may put it on my Watch List for later investigation.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I'm fine with eBay just showing 12 items in the email as long as the email indicates there are more so that I can search further if desired. My point is eBay doesn't always tell me there are more.  When I get notification of 12 I only look at the 12 and move on to the next email notification (I've maxed out at 200 saved searches so need to go through quickly every day). My issue is there might be 47 new listings that qualify but ebay only tells me there are 12 so I look at the 12 in the email and move on, missing many potential items I am interested in. It's inconsistent because I will also get emails telling me there are 47.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

The order of words in the search is also important and can trigger a different number of listings in the search results. It shouldn't but it does sometimes.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@cantona4ever wrote:

I'm fine with eBay just showing 12 items in the email as long as the email indicates there are more so that I can search further if desired. My point is eBay doesn't always tell me there are more.  When I get notification of 12 I only look at the 12 and move on to the next email notification (I've maxed out at 200 saved searches so need to go through quickly every day). My issue is there might be 47 new listings that qualify but ebay only tells me there are 12 so I look at the 12 in the email and move on, missing many potential items I am interested in. It's inconsistent because I will also get emails telling me there are 47.

It's eBay in theory telling you what you want. Streamlining options and features. 

-Lotz

Message 6 of 6
latest reply