eBay pages being redirected to unsafe websites

Anyone else having this issue? When I have ebay.ca open, suddenly the page will load another page with no prompting, and this page is indicated as unsafe by my antivirus. I'm assuming it's the ad scripts running on ebay, as I've heard of this with other websites, but never one like ebay. Thankfully my antivirus has kept my computer clean by blocking the pages, but a site like ebay should really be paying attention to what's running on their website. Wish they'd fix the issue, when this kind of thing happens on another page, I can just avoid that website and their sketchy issues. That's not really an option when you sell on ebay.

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

AdBlock tells me there are 6 ads on this page.

Six on the German Post Office site.

Eighteen on Google Mail.

And 21 on the Esquire article about Shia Lebouef.

Message 21 of 36
latest reply

It sounds like we are getting a collection of experiences here, so I will forward this to one of our Product Managers--thank you.

Message 22 of 36
latest reply

Update: It's been passed on and we believe we've found the source of the issue. It should be fixed soon. Thanks all for flagging.

Message 23 of 36
latest reply

I'm really sorry if I wasn't wording the question about being sure the ads existed on the website itself and not an infection in my computer showing something that isn't there, in a way that you understood what I meant, I do understand how an ad-blocker works. And I apologize for being unable to communicate clearly to you my intents of asking my question.

However my question if the ads are there has since been answered by other members who were having the exact same thing happen, so thanks anyway.

Message 24 of 36
latest reply

That's good to hear, I can't even do a single search anymore without being redirected.

Message 25 of 36
latest reply

Howdy y'all,

The domain that was causing an issue for our members here has been blocked across our system. Those who were experiencing the issues should clear their cache to clear the cookies from that site.

Hopefully no one has further issues, and thanks to everyone for their input. If anyone comes across anything like this again, start a thread and @ me, or send a PM.

17ifiv

Message 26 of 36
latest reply

I still keep getting redirected, I'm not sure why now. I delete the cookies for that site and they just come back, I've never had that happen before.

Message 27 of 36
latest reply

Have you installed an ad blocker?
If so, update the filters.
I've never been redirected or seen anything as described in this thread or others in the forum.
Message 28 of 36
latest reply

If you haven't already done so try downloading the Malwarbytes free trial... let it scan your system and see what it finds. Uninstall the program after the free trial period ends.
https://www.malwarebytes.com/premium/.
Message 29 of 36
latest reply

Neither have I. And I’m relatively new to the Church of AdBlock.
Message 30 of 36
latest reply

I'm getting redirected to that gamiss site too.

Randomly...  maybe once or twice a day.

It ONLY happens during search results - not while posting nor while using my ebay pages.

Running a clean pc using Firefox - usually 4 to 6 eBay tabs on the go at any given time.

I also get the annoying music playing for no reason at all, but that is a rarer event.  I just attribute that to one of the ads, and close down the offending tab  (Imagine a casual buyer doing that - not good).

Before reading this thread I wondered if I was the only victim.  

I fear these nuisances might drive away potential buyers from eBay.

Gamiss is probably hoping for that to happen.

Message 31 of 36
latest reply

Yeah that "music" playing when browsing ebay freaks me out ... have never experienced being redirected to that dubious Chinese gamiss site but the two occurrences are probably related. Wonder how long it'll take ebay to scrub the site of this trash. 

Message 32 of 36
latest reply

Here we are May 2018 and we are still getting redirects to unsafe Web Sites or music starts playing or audio ads start playing if you leave your eBay page open.  This only happens on eBay and I am tired of seeing responses like "you have a virus or malware" or "you need an AdBlocker" or "try another browser".  The problem is on eBay pages only, and fortunately my Antivirus keeps blocking me from being redirected to all these sites.  However, it is obvious that advertisers are embedding redirection code in their ads and I am shocked that eBay has not been able to solve this problem.  Just Google eBay Redirects and it is plain to see this is an issue.

Message 33 of 36
latest reply

This only happens on eBay and I am tired of seeing responses like "you have a virus or malware" or "you need an AdBlocker" or "try another browser". 

I completely agree and it's only happening on eBay.CA not eBay.COM. I've been saying the same thing over and over on these boards but the posters here just put up with a "B" grade browsing experience and download extra protections instead of going after eBay Canada for providing such poor service and leaving buyers open to potential viruses from malicious websites. 

Message 34 of 36
latest reply

It has been happening to me lately as well. It's a thing with their 3rd party advertising they use. Some advertisers will embed links into their add and force the user to go to it without even clicking a ad.

I removed my adblock from eBay to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I had to since turn it back on cause I couldn't even browse eBay without being redirected to some scam website.

It's amazing to me how a multi-million dollar business can't figure that out and we can figure it out in 5 minutes.

Message 35 of 36
latest reply

I've personally never had an issue with these ads popping up but find it interesting their systems will/can allow these random ads and nothing is done no matter how many times these problems are reported, but as a seller if we try to include a video link for an item we are trying to sell, because it actually would help our sales, it's a major no no and we get our hands slapped.

-CM

Message 36 of 36
latest reply