16 REPLIES 16

December 8 2021 Weekly Session

Hi Tyler, any update on the "Jump to first unread post in a topic" function on the Community Forums getting fixed?

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Hi Tyler, here is another of my shipments that shows delivered in Canada Post and not in eBay. The item no. is 184555502199 and the tracking no. is 9164601689305273 and I have taken screenshots if you need them. 

Also, I noticed today that this item is shown as shipped (thankfully) in my Seller Hub but shows up as still has to ship on the ebay app on my iPad. Not sure if one has anything to do with the other but still worrisome.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Hi Tyler, 

I have a couple of questions regarding signature requirements and shipping deadlines.  I had to switch gears from Canada Post to UPS for an $850 shipment to Sacramento.  The only signature service from CP was Xpresspost. The shipment was very big and heavy. In the past you said for orders over $750 shipping Expedited Parcel was OK (even though CP wasn't collecting signatures). We would be covered as long as we selected and paid for the signature option.  But now Canada Post no longer offers the signature option on Expedited Parcel. This makes items valued over $750 economically unshippable via CP.  

Question 1.   Are you aware of any changes coming from either Ebay or Canada Post that will include protection for  orders above $750 while still using a tracked Canada Post service other than Xpresspost?

My second question is about the Seller chosen shipping time limit.  I have a xylophone to ship to Edmonton (Another larger shipment.)  After the purchase was completed the buyer contacted me saying he would be away for a stretch of time and could I defer shipping it out. My intention is to ship tomorrow because the longer I wait at this point the busier the couriers will be.  Being a xylophone I'd rather not ship it "hold for pickup" as it will become a "shelf" at UPS or CP.  

Question 2.    If I have a 2 day shipping window but the buyer asks me not to ship an item via Ebay messaging am I clear and OK to withhold the item to ship "down the road" and if so, are there any conditions?

Thank you and best wishes for the Holidays!

ITWM

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Hi Tyler. Sorry to come around now only when I have a beef but this is a big one and I am furious about it. A few weeks ago, some old stock sold in a bundle for a low-to-moderate price which is nice considering these are collectible items that have been out-of-production for ages. The problem was, when I went to ship it, I discovered the last time I had it was in 2015 and that it randomly relisted itself in early 2016 and I, having more than a 1,000 listings at the time, simply didn't notice which I accept is my fault but I know I did not relist it myself so it must have been due to one of those glitches of which sellers speak. Never happened before but there is a first time for everything.

I contacted the buyer and explained this: did they want a refund or did they want me to look and see if I could send them a set from another source? It would take extra time because it would probably have to come from The States.

No answer. I wait. Keep waiting. Still no answer but not wanting to disappoint this buyer who has a right to expect what they bought, I buy this bundle in seperate pieces from other sellers in the USA at DOUBLE the cost to me (now I am out-of-pocket an extra $100 CAD) and have it shipped directly to them.

These two purchases are in my Purchase History with evidence to show these items shipped directly to the buyer.

The buyer opens a case of INR. 

I kindly explain AGAIN what happened and that the items are on the way, coming from The States, costing double and please be patient as the delivery estimates are within the week.

The buyer does not respond to any of the case details or send any other kind of message to me and on the day tracking shows one package is delivered to him while the other is still in transit, he escalates it and I immediately lose. He now has his money back AND the items which cost me double what he paid. This transaction has now cost me personally $250+ CAD.

I then call Customer Service at 11pm local time to ask for an appeal. Oh, yes, they say, they can see I did nothing wrong, they will appeal it for me. Please don't worry, et cetera.

Instead, five minutes later, I get a message saying, no, I should send the buyer and invoice through paypal and simply wait for them to pay me back.

I think we both know the chance of that succeeding is less than zero. The buyer has never replied to any message sent and now has both the items he ordered and his money back. Effectively, by telling me to try to get my money back through Paypal, ebay is washing its hands of this problem which, at its very root, was one it created by glitchily relisting Sold items and then allowed to settle in favour of the buyer even with tracking showing delivery today. 

I am trusting the powers of ebay Community to set this right. I feel that I should not have to pay $250 for a mistake I did not make as I am certain I didn't relist this item after it sold in 2015 but I do take responsbility for not noticing it relisted which is the reason I was willing to pay double to get it from other ebay sellers for the buyer so they wouldn't be disappointed by a Cancel Order from me and a realization it would cost them double to buy it elsewhere.

Given that the buyer has the item, I expect the refund reversed and the funds from the purchase restored with any associated defects removed. It's too late to call back Customer Service despite that I will be awake all night stewing over this.

Thanks,

Maureen 

p.s. The buyer has a cartoon nude image as their avatar; how is that even possible?

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

UPDATE: In the amount of time it took me to spill my guts here, another message came from ebay Customer Service that re-iterated what the Call Centre guy told me and my appeal is grated. 

So much angst for nothing.

My apologies for spreading the drama.

Maybe at least others will learn from my mistakes.

I hope you are well.

Take care,

Maureen 

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

(Granted, not grated.) 

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

The information from the eBay book catalog had been added to listings of books on eBay.com and eBay Canada. … Also  added to my listings of books.  (This  addition  to listings of books was noted on eBay.com)

The most important statement in a listing is…..

Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.

What I put in a listing is my choice….  My primary focus is History > Canada.   For something like Canadian Military history  the word … Military … is added to the title of the listing…. The same is done for other topics  that relate to Canadian history

Much of the information in the book catalog is …. NOT … acceptable…..  It is a distraction to the potential buyers that are reading my listing….In many instances  my information in the listing becomes hidden by the book catalog information.  What I put in a listing is an accurate description of the book and its content.

My approach to listing is an actual photograph of the book and sometimes other photographs of images in the book  .....very specific, item specifics to listing the book in my store .….information about the content of the book  ... and ..... the Table of Contents.

Things have been changed with the removal of book catalog information from my listings of books ... almost all of my listings of books ...  A listing with book catalog information still present had to be revised ... Book catalog information was never added to this listing.  .....Hopefully all of my listings have had the book catalog information removed.....

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@dinomitesales wrote:

Hi Tyler, any update on the "Jump to first unread post in a topic" function on the Community Forums getting fixed?

Hi @dinomitesales - sort of. We've got confirmation that it's a technical issue (the first hurdle), and that a fix is being developed (the much larger second hurdle). 

What's unclear is if that will be ready before their code freeze on the 16th (a surprise third hurdle). If they can't get it released before it will be a thing we live with until after the new year.  

Tyler,
eBay
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@msmaggie060 wrote:

Hi Tyler, here is another of my shipments that shows delivered in Canada Post and not in eBay. The item no. is 184555502199 and the tracking no. is 9164601689305273 and I have taken screenshots if you need them. 

Also, I noticed today that this item is shown as shipped (thankfully) in my Seller Hub but shows up as still has to ship on the ebay app on my iPad. Not sure if one has anything to do with the other but still worrisome.

Thanks for letting me know about this @msmaggie060 - I'm consistently told that this has to do with the transfer of information from courier sites back to ours, but I hadn't heard of the app discrepency before. I'll get it to them. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Hello Tyler,

1)Thank you for your recent response regarding some of the rational towards why the changes were made with Categories.

"As to the category changes, those are part of a larger plan to make selling quicker and easier. Part of that process is to reduce the number of subcategories that exist, and instead using item specifics to help Buyers quickly filter for the items they are looking for (in addition to being incorporated into search results)."

Is there any possibility of rethinking/re-adding "Lots" back to the categories where they were removed from as an option? A few that that come to mind are Books, Antiques(very one size fits all) and Jewelry. There are probably several more. It has made trying to create listings of multiple items extremely time consuming especially when the Item Specific options can vary per item in the listing. Anywhere Year option is used needs to include unknown/assorted - Submitted multiple times)

2)Re: Verified Shipping Addresses. Is eBay looking into anything to improve this works? Since the change over from eBay/PayPal this has become a major problem for sellers receiving partial shipping addresses. A major concern if the customer has paid.

3)Lastly is eBay looking at improvements/tweaks to the GSP program. I don't believe it should be the discussion areas responsibilty to try to defend this program EVERY time a buyer shows up here having another bad experience with it.

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@intimewithmusic 

Expedited USA has never had a signature option.

It may be less expensive to use  Fedex or UPS when you do have an item going to the US that requires a signature.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@intimewithmusic wrote:

Hi Tyler, 

I have a couple of questions regarding signature requirements and shipping deadlines.  I had to switch gears from Canada Post to UPS for an $850 shipment to Sacramento.  The only signature service from CP was Xpresspost. The shipment was very big and heavy. In the past you said for orders over $750 shipping Expedited Parcel was OK (even though CP wasn't collecting signatures). We would be covered as long as we selected and paid for the signature option.  But now Canada Post no longer offers the signature option on Expedited Parcel. This makes items valued over $750 economically unshippable via CP.  

Question 1.   Are you aware of any changes coming from either Ebay or Canada Post that will include protection for  orders above $750 while still using a tracked Canada Post service other than Xpresspost?

My second question is about the Seller chosen shipping time limit.  I have a xylophone to ship to Edmonton (Another larger shipment.)  After the purchase was completed the buyer contacted me saying he would be away for a stretch of time and could I defer shipping it out. My intention is to ship tomorrow because the longer I wait at this point the busier the couriers will be.  Being a xylophone I'd rather not ship it "hold for pickup" as it will become a "shelf" at UPS or CP.  

Question 2.    If I have a 2 day shipping window but the buyer asks me not to ship an item via Ebay messaging am I clear and OK to withhold the item to ship "down the road" and if so, are there any conditions?

Thank you and best wishes for the Holidays!

ITWM

Hi @intimewithmusic - congrats on the sale! But also, logistics on this are going to be a bit of a tangle. 

Question 1. There aren't any plans that I'm aware of to change this threshold or offer any other service. Official page on the requirements here. Are there any other couriers that you could look at using that would make this a more economical shipment for you?

Question 2. Yes, with an asterisk, mostly revolving around whether or not the buyer has paid. 

If they have not paid you are just fine to delay shipment, since the 'timer' doesn't start until they complete payment. Just make sure that you don't have any automated unpaid item assistant turned on to avoid them getting penalized for not paying.

If they have paid and they ask you to delay shipping via eBay message CS can remove any 'late shipment' dings that you got from the transaction, but they won't be able to remove any 'tracking uploaded within handling time and validated' miss. Those aren't super impactful unless you're Top Rated on the .com program.

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:

UPDATE: In the amount of time it took me to spill my guts here, another message came from ebay Customer Service that re-iterated what the Call Centre guy told me and my appeal is grated. 

So much angst for nothing.

My apologies for spreading the drama.

Maybe at least others will learn from my mistakes.

I hope you are well.

Take care,

Maureen 

I'm so glad to hear that this had a good outcome @momcqueen ! I wonder if there was some kind of form-letter mixup maybe? In any case, I'm glad you are (mostly) put right and I hope that you have a lower stress wrap to the holiday selling season!

PS: a nude avatar shouldn't be allowed, I'll get it reported. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

The information from the eBay book catalog had been added to listings of books on eBay.com and eBay Canada. … Also  added to my listings of books.  (This  addition  to listings of books was noted on eBay.com)

The most important statement in a listing is…..

Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.

What I put in a listing is my choice….  My primary focus is History > Canada.   For something like Canadian Military history  the word … Military … is added to the title of the listing…. The same is done for other topics  that relate to Canadian history

Much of the information in the book catalog is …. NOT … acceptable…..  It is a distraction to the potential buyers that are reading my listing….In many instances  my information in the listing becomes hidden by the book catalog information.  What I put in a listing is an accurate description of the book and its content.

My approach to listing is an actual photograph of the book and sometimes other photographs of images in the book  .....very specific, item specifics to listing the book in my store .….information about the content of the book  ... and ..... the Table of Contents.

Things have been changed with the removal of book catalog information from my listings of books ... almost all of my listings of books ...  A listing with book catalog information still present had to be revised ... Book catalog information was never added to this listing.  .....Hopefully all of my listings have had the book catalog information removed.....

@cumos55 - thanks for this report. The teams involved told me they rolled out a fix overnight and that things should be displaying properly as of now. 

If it is still displaying catalog data that you did not opt-in for will you start a new thread and let me know so I can have it looked into further?

Tyler,
eBay
Message 15 of 17
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Hello Tyler,

1)Thank you for your recent response regarding some of the rational towards why the changes were made with Categories.

"As to the category changes, those are part of a larger plan to make selling quicker and easier. Part of that process is to reduce the number of subcategories that exist, and instead using item specifics to help Buyers quickly filter for the items they are looking for (in addition to being incorporated into search results)."

Is there any possibility of rethinking/re-adding "Lots" back to the categories where they were removed from as an option? A few that that come to mind are Books, Antiques(very one size fits all) and Jewelry. There are probably several more. It has made trying to create listings of multiple items extremely time consuming especially when the Item Specific options can vary per item in the listing. Anywhere Year option is used needs to include unknown/assorted - Submitted multiple times)

2)Re: Verified Shipping Addresses. Is eBay looking into anything to improve this works? Since the change over from eBay/PayPal this has become a major problem for sellers receiving partial shipping addresses. A major concern if the customer has paid.

3)Lastly is eBay looking at improvements/tweaks to the GSP program. I don't believe it should be the discussion areas responsibilty to try to defend this program EVERY time a buyer shows up here having another bad experience with it.

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies

1)  I don't know what the possibility is, but I'm happy to make the suggestion!

2)  I don't have any info on if there are changes on this front coming in the future, but I'll make sure that this input is shared with the right team. 🙂

3) There are no upcoming changes to the Global Shipping Program that I'm aware of. If there is specific content that you think would help make things clearer I'm happy to see what I can do to make it more prominent on the boards. 

Thanks! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 16 of 17
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for joining the chat this week! It's closed but will be back next Tuesday.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 17 of 17
latest reply