December 15 2021 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone - 

Opening the chat up for your questions. I'll being working on replies tomorrow afternoon. 

See you then!
Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

pvj2
Community Member

So I have a buyer that I sent a package to in Australia Oct.25 Ahe was warned that surface mail was the only option no tracking and accepted those conditions. Now today she files a dispute and eBay of course withholds money from me. Why is there no accomodations for any protection other than BC?  There are notices on Canada Post website that delays of 20-30 days BEYOND the normal transit times are to be expected.Yet as soon as she is able to she files a dispute.

Cmon eBay 

Date posted: October 26, 2021

Increased safety protocols and restricted flight capacity to Australia and New Zealand are creating delays for customers.

Some items may be delivered 20 to 30 days beyond published delivery standards. Consumers and business shippers should consider the additional delivery time when making commitments to recipients in Australia and New Zealand. Please know our people are working hard to maintain service and keep the mail moving. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience and understanding. Our on-time delivery guarantee remains suspended for USA and International services including XpresspostTM-International and PriorityTM Worldwide.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Hi Tyler,

No questions. Just a Christmas message.

But first...UPS delivered my shipment of drums to Sacramento in record time. My customer was happy enough to say this "Very professional packaging. Item arrived promptly and safely. Recommend seller."

UPS ping ponged my xylophone shipment from Kelowna to Vancouver to Calgary to Edmonton. Seems convoluted to me but they know wht they are doing. It should be delivered tomorrow. 17 below zero in Edmonton. Freezing is a factor when shipping instruments. Fortunately the xylophone is made of "xylon" a synthetic and not wood so it will be fine. 

2021 was pretty tumultuous for Ebay Sellers.  I'm sure it must have been for Ebay professionals like yourself too. Just want to say thank you for your help and for answering all our questions put forth.

Have a happy holiday! I think it's safe to say for the new year we all hope for peace, love, a healthier planet and a little prosperity would be good too!   Thanks for all you do!

InTimeWithMusic 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Could you confirm that eBay accepts delivery to a freight forwarder ends the responsibility of the seller for delivery?

There is a belief on dotCOM that an eBay rep told someone that this was not true, because the buyer might  be an employee of the forwarder and just having his orders delivered to his work address. Which is a pretty unusual circumstance.

Also, when a shipment has been delivered to a  forwarder, and forwarded overseas, if there is a Not As Described dispute, what is the seller's repsponsibility for return shipping? From the overseas address or from the forwarder's address?

It has been my belief that the seller only needs to pay for return from the forwarder's address.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Yesterday had an order from Whitehorse, Yukon and, instead of them being charged $111.69 as per my shipping rate tables, they were charged $34.51 which is the rate to urban Alberta, my province of residence. Ive had this issue before, a few months ago.  What's worse is this morning I just had another order from Whitehorse with the same issue, probably friends telling each other about the amazing shipping deal.. Now I will have to cancel both, which can be very upsetting to many customers, and leaves me at the risk of negative feedback for no fault of my own

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@pvj2 wrote:

So I have a buyer that I sent a package to in Australia Oct.25 Ahe was warned that surface mail was the only option no tracking and accepted those conditions. Now today she files a dispute and eBay of course withholds money from me. Why is there no accomodations for any protection other than BC?  There are notices on Canada Post website that delays of 20-30 days BEYOND the normal transit times are to be expected.Yet as soon as she is able to she files a dispute.

Cmon eBay 

Date posted: October 26, 2021

Increased safety protocols and restricted flight capacity to Australia and New Zealand are creating delays for customers.

Some items may be delivered 20 to 30 days beyond published delivery standards. Consumers and business shippers should consider the additional delivery time when making commitments to recipients in Australia and New Zealand. Please know our people are working hard to maintain service and keep the mail moving. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience and understanding. Our on-time delivery guarantee remains suspended for USA and International services including XpresspostTM-International and PriorityTM Worldwide.

Hi @pvj2 - I can't assist with account specific issues publicly, so for most of this I'll have to ask you to consider working with Customer Support so they can review the transaction in detail. 

In general, I can say that we display an estimated delivery date to the buyer based on stated averages from the courier as well as historical performance of the stated shipping service you selected for the item. One full day after the latest estimated delivery date we allow a buyer to open a request with you to inform you it hasn't arrived. 

I'd recommend communication with the buyer - you can let them know in the body of the request that surface mail is slow at any time of year, but particularly now, and ask for their patience while it ships to them. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@intimewithmusic wrote:

Hi Tyler,

No questions. Just a Christmas message.

But first...UPS delivered my shipment of drums to Sacramento in record time. My customer was happy enough to say this "Very professional packaging. Item arrived promptly and safely. Recommend seller."

UPS ping ponged my xylophone shipment from Kelowna to Vancouver to Calgary to Edmonton. Seems convoluted to me but they know wht they are doing. It should be delivered tomorrow. 17 below zero in Edmonton. Freezing is a factor when shipping instruments. Fortunately the xylophone is made of "xylon" a synthetic and not wood so it will be fine. 

2021 was pretty tumultuous for Ebay Sellers.  I'm sure it must have been for Ebay professionals like yourself too. Just want to say thank you for your help and for answering all our questions put forth.

Have a happy holiday! I think it's safe to say for the new year we all hope for peace, love, a healthier planet and a little prosperity would be good too!   Thanks for all you do!

InTimeWithMusic 

@intimewithmusic - thanks for the well wishes! I hope that you and yours have a good season and find some nice reasons to indulge (my go to this year are pecan bars made from scratch, they're far too easy to make and dangerously good). 

What an unusual journy that xylophone made to get to California! I know that @reallynicestamps & @femmefan1946 have tried to help me understand hub and spoke delivery systems and how they are actually more efficient, but sometimes I feel like they just want to let your item see the world a bit before hitting its new home. 😛

Tyler,
eBay
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Could you confirm that eBay accepts delivery to a freight forwarder ends the responsibility of the seller for delivery?

There is a belief on dotCOM that an eBay rep told someone that this was not true, because the buyer might  be an employee of the forwarder and just having his orders delivered to his work address. Which is a pretty unusual circumstance.

Also, when a shipment has been delivered to a  forwarder, and forwarded overseas, if there is a Not As Described dispute, what is the seller's repsponsibility for return shipping? From the overseas address or from the forwarder's address?

It has been my belief that the seller only needs to pay for return from the forwarder's address.

Hi @reallynicestamps - A buyer's use of a third-party freight forwarding or mail redirection service is not covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee (link here). I cannot make a blanket statement that any time something is delivered to a freight forwarder all obligation stops, but in general that's one I would definitely contact CS so they can review and take appropriate action. 

For a Not as Described request where we would expect you to provide means of return shipment you are only ever expected to arrange return shipping from the address that was used at the time of checkout (*). So for situations where a member uses a freight-forwarder as their address, you are only responsible for providing shipping from that address back to yourself. 

(*) Not that it's super applicable for Canadian members, but I want to be a stickler on this point: this does not apply for GSP transactions - in a Not as Described return where the seller is responsible for arranging return shipping it would need to be from the buyer's international location, not the domestic hub.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@prosperityreiki wrote:

Yesterday had an order from Whitehorse, Yukon and, instead of them being charged $111.69 as per my shipping rate tables, they were charged $34.51 which is the rate to urban Alberta, my province of residence. Ive had this issue before, a few months ago.  What's worse is this morning I just had another order from Whitehorse with the same issue, probably friends telling each other about the amazing shipping deal.. Now I will have to cancel both, which can be very upsetting to many customers, and leaves me at the risk of negative feedback for no fault of my own

Hi @prosperityreiki - sorry to hear that you've had two of these happen so quickly. If you haven't already, please consider contacting CS to have them review the transactions and listing involved so that they can determine what is going on and if there's a quick fix or something we need to get filed for the tech team to evaluate. 

My preferred method of Customer Service is via social media. I work closely with that team and they are well trained, and have a large amount of eBay tenure and expertise. You can reach them on Twitter or Facebook - just send a private message and let them know the situation. They'll ask for some basic info about your account to verify it's you and then proceed to help. No hold music necessary. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for joining the chat this week - it's closed but will be back on Tuesday. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 10
latest reply