1950s advertising instead of a proper Item Description

I've noticed an increasing number of sellers of vintage calculators and computers resorting to ludicrous fifties-style advertising instead of providing a useful description of their item, probably because they know nothing about it. Here's an example:

"Experience computing at its finest with the *** vintage home computer. This classic home computer is a must-have for collectors and enthusiasts alike. With its advanced features and powerful capabilities, it's perfect for anyone looking to add a touch of nostalgia to their home office or entertainment center.

Whether you're a vintage computer enthusiast or just looking for a unique piece of tech history, the *** is sure to impress. From its sleek design to its impressive performance, this home computer is the perfect addition to any collection. So why wait? Order yours today and experience the power and beauty of vintage computing firsthand!"

This huffing and puffing is not a description—there's not a single piece of information, just sales patter from a bygone era. If this was the only example I'd put it down to the seller's sense of humour/satire, but unfortunately such blather is becoming all too common in the vintage consumer electronics world and is clearly seriously intended. Have others noticed it elsewhere?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: 1950s advertising instead of a proper Item Description

marnotom!
Community Member
Your example reads like AI-generated text to me.
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

AI that's woefully old-fashioned. I think it's more probably a matter of naive sellers copying a style that they think is attractive and conceals the fact that they have no idea of what they're selling.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

@aramatic wrote:

AI that's woefully old-fashioned. I think it's more probably a matter of naive sellers copying a style that they think is attractive and conceals the fact that they have no idea of what they're selling.

@aramatic 

It's bad enough the description is hidden farther down the page but often when/if you get there there is nothing to see. Maybe a few details about shipping policies and handling time but critical info is MIA!!! Sadly, the new generic normal!! It feels like listings have become sanitized?!?

-Lotz

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Yes, you scroll past things you don't need to see only to find unintentionally comic sales talk or the hopelessly inadequate "Condition is used". The example I quoted is quite typical of this genre is not even mentioning if the computer works. Despite this, the seller has a Buy It Now price of US$300 (for a common vintage console worth about $50).

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Thanks. I wasn't aware of this. How awful. Just what we don't need. Presumably some people think this language entices buyers, but for me it has exactly the opposite effect.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

@aramatic wrote:

Thanks. I wasn't aware of this. How awful. Just what we don't need. Presumably some people think this language entices buyers, but for me it has exactly the opposite effect.

As per the attached discussion from dot com, "AI output *is* mostly glop." Well put!! How much of that "glop" could turn into cause for an NAD?

-Lotz

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

It's AI output. 

Using AI to generate item descriptions or form letters CAN be useful, but it is only as useful as the person on the otherside of the AI is able to make it.

If I am an enthusiast of vintage calculators, I can provide an AI with bullet points about the specific calculator. I can also instruct it about using things like a customer focused 'you' form of writing, or what kind of tone I need. It will likely write up something usable that would take me much longer to write manually. If you do it that way, it can be a reasonable tool to use to improve your listings. 

The way it was used in the OP adds no value to the listing. On top of that, some people are opposed to the idea of AI being used as a shortcut by businesses or media. Just like how you reacted to that listing, if people use AI just to use it, and not as a time saver to type up something relevant to their listing, it is more likely to turn off someone who reads it than convince them to buy the item. 

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@ilikehockeyjerseys wrote:

It's AI output. 

Using AI to generate item descriptions or form letters CAN be useful, but it is only as useful as the person on the otherside of the AI is able to make it.

If I am an enthusiast of vintage calculators, I can provide an AI with bullet points about the specific calculator. I can also instruct it about using things like a customer focused 'you' form of writing, or what kind of tone I need. It will likely write up something usable that would take me much longer to write manually. If you do it that way, it can be a reasonable tool to use to improve your listings. 

The way it was used in the OP adds no value to the listing. On top of that, some people are opposed to the idea of AI being used as a shortcut by businesses or media. Just like how you reacted to that listing, if people use AI just to use it, and not as a time saver to type up something relevant to their listing, it is more likely to turn off someone who reads it than convince them to buy the item. 

@ilikehockeyjerseys 

Not sure how workable it would be but if seller(s) choose to use Chat AI maybe anything included should come with a disclaimer? Basically give credit where credit is ummm due!!! Kinda like tipping when it's self serve.😁

-Lotz

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@ilikehockeyjerseys 

Would most of the market for these be collectors? Would they care what the specs are? Would they be using them or displaying them?

If these were just being bought "for pretty", the meaningless description might even be an attraction.

And of course, the buyer could send the seller questions which might encourage them to actually write a useful description.

Maybe.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Most are collectors who want accurate information, but I think even those who just want props or steam punk or whatever must be put off by the laughably outdated advertising style... "sure to impress", "sleek design", "why wait?" etc. etc. etc. It sounds like the grown up version of kids playing shopkeeper.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Well, remember Mad Men was a thing a decade or so back.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

The AI generate description showed up on my ap, and the result was comical.  

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

I can't speak about calculators, because I don't know anything about them. 

I know that with various other things I collect, there are important specs or distinctions that should be pointed out. For example, with hockey jerseys - Is it a retail authentic? Is it a made in Canada authentic? If it is a made in Canada authentic; is it game worn, game used, or game issued? Does it have any repairs or alterations? Has it been stripped? Who did the cresting for the numbers? Etc, etc. 

There are also various different types of collectors. There are some people who are just starting out collecting something. There are people who know everything about a collectible. There also might be friends or family of collectors who want to buy the collector a gift. 

As far as actual marketing copy that is meant to excite a buyer and increase the chances they buy an item, it depends on how you view eBay as a marketplace. Some people still view eBay as a peer-to-peer marketplace where it should be no frills, casual, and personal. With that said, most businesses who market to consumers try to include some sort of description that highlights the benefits and tries to increase the chances of there being a sale. If you go to the website of a major retailer and look for a hockey jersey, it will likely come with some sort of description meant to accentuate the positives of the item or convince you to purchase it.

Here is an example from Sportchek's website: 

"Launched in 1992, NHL third jerseys are now such a staple, many teams post their alt-jersey schedule so fans can suit up in tandem when their squad takes the ice. Pull on this adidas Buffalo Sabres third hockey jersey, and join in the fun. The look stays authentic but has a fresh feel for fans and players alike. Made with 100% recycled materials, this product represents just one of Adidas’s solutions to help end plastic waste."

I suppose it's a two part question:

1) Should eBay sellers behave more casually, or should they push and market to their buyers in the same fashion that a business would.

2) If the answer to 1 is that they should push and market to their customers. Can AI be used to do that appropriately? Or will it turn people off with because it sounds like an alien trying to trick you into thinking it's actually a human.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

The other issue could be if the AI uses copyrighted material in the description. That's probably less of an issue for something that came out in the 50s, but for newer items it could definitely get you a VERO ding.

I feel like the AI could be very effective for titles, but is probably not the best idea for descriptions.

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

We expect gung-ho language from major retailers. While the SportCheck example is perfectly reasonable, the same words would sound ridiculous from an eBay seller. The AI examples I've seen make the seller look like they're pretending to be a big business in a rather embarrassing manner and/or they know little or nothing about the item they're selling.

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

Agree, the few times I hit the AI button the result made me cringe.

Message 18 of 18
latest reply