About a Case for a Damaged Item

A buyer in the UK opened a case claiming that an item had arrived badly damaged.

I have 4 options and none of them works in this case.  (Accept return, Give a full refund, Offer a partial refund, or Send the buyer a message.)

The only response which could work is to send the buyer a message but the last time I did that it jumped me right over to "Accept return" and that isn't what I want to do.  

I shipped with insurance so if the item arrived damaged I'd like to file a claim, and it would probably be best if I had some photos to go with that claim.

I'm not going to gamble and select "Send the buyer a message" because the last thing I want to do is accept a return.  For one thing a return voids the insurance claim and also I don't want a damaged item back let alone pay to get it back.

I do want to get co-operation from the buyer in filing a claim via Shippo/InsurePost.

I could send the buyer a message via the PP email but I'd rather keep all communication on record.

Has anyone had experience with this type of thing ............. and why the heck isn't there an appropriate option when a buyer files a case for an item that arrived damaged.  You'd think, right?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

You have her email address.

Look on your Paypal account.

You don't actually have to go through eBay to contact the buyer.

I'd prefer to start there, before doing anything that involves eBay.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Thank you femme.  Yes, I have her PP address but with this buyer I'd like everything on record if possible because she's been flakey all along.

That may be my only way but you'd think they'd have an option to keep things on record for this type of thing, am I right?

Just checked and she's from China not the UK so language could be an issue.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Sending a message works fine, at least it has for me, I've done it a few times.

It also puts the onus on the buyer to respond to the message. Sending a message drops it off your outstanding cases until the buyer responds. (you can send multiple messages if you wish)

Sending the message also records the important information within the actual case, which will help if it turns out you have to eventually talk to CSR(s) about it.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

ricarmic wrote:

Sending a message works fine, at least it has for me, I've done it a few times.

It also puts the onus on the buyer to respond to the message. Sending a message drops it off your outstanding cases until the buyer responds. (you can send multiple messages if you wish)

Sending the message also records the important information within the actual case, which will help if it turns out you have to eventually talk to CSR(s) about it.

Smiley HappySmiley Happy Promise?  Smiley HappySmiley Happy

That's what I'd prefer but it bumped me right over to accept the return when I used it in the past.

Maybe that was a glitch, but it makes me very nervous now.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

How about contact first through Paypal, then repeat the conversation through eBay?

Braces and belt.

I'm more sanguine than you about going through eBay first. Like ricarmic I have successfully settled a problem only through eBay, but if you feel nervous, why not both?

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I even had to do one in Italian recently (the buyer was from Italy and it seems I had to do everything through the italian site).

I was nervous because I had to keep translating the buttons I was figuring I had to push.

That one went ok too....
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

femme, You're probably right that trying both makes sense, but I'd like to be sure to get everything on record as well.

I think I'll also call eBay so they can walk through the procedure with me to make sure I don't get bumped to accepting the return.  Hate wasting my time on the phone with them but if I get bumped right over accepting the return I'd kick myself later because I saw it coming.

Don't trust the procedure at all and thanks ric and femme for helping me get the focus to do that.  

I want to be sure that it's clear to eBay that the buyer is claiming that the item arrived damaged and not that it isn't as described.  

This will also give me the chance to see if I'm wasting my money when I buy insurance via Shippo.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I remember when that happened to you but I recently used send the message with a return case and it didn't automatically accept a return so it 'should' be ok. 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

You could also just avoid the return system and send a message through the regular eBay message system. That way eBay would be able to have a look at the messages if necessary.

Keep in mind that eBay may suggest to the buyer that they cooperate with the insurance claim but they won't insist on it.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

What was the item and how did it arrived damaged? Do you think the claim is credible?

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

along with photos, showing before and after conditions, you will be required to keep all packing materials until a claim is approved..

you also may want to check the list of items that are ineligible for claims..it is a long list.

it is easier to make a claim when an item doesn't show up than it is to make a claim for a damaged item..

i wish you luck..

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I called eBay and processed the case while they were on the phone with me and it worked as it should.

I was totally suspicious of this buyer but just saw the pictures and the item was indeed badly damaged en route.  The buyer had been difficult so I wasn't quite believing her and this is a good lesson for me.

She's telling the truth.

Now to see how smoothly it goes when I file the claim with Shippo.

Ship Insurance has always been decent with my claims so I expect it to go smoothly. 

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Let us know how it goes. I also buy insurance from time to time with Shippo (especially items going to Italy), and I'm curious to know if it is as simple as a claim of non receipt with InsurePost (same as Shipsurance, but for individual packages).

Message 14 of 14
latest reply