Acceptance Scan Receipt

So are acceptance receipts no longer given when we take our prepaid (Paypal)  Postal Labeled Packages?
My two closet "Official" Postal Outlets say their most recent system update no longer lets them give me one.
This is for expedited with in Canada.

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: Acceptance Scan Receipt

@recped wrote:

I still don't understand why anybody would want or need a printed receipt for an item which receives an acceptance scan.

When I drop off Expedited Parcels I'm not waiting around for anything never mind a receipt, I drop my package on the counter, say thanks and am out the door in seconds. If I were to look back on my way I would see the clerk scanning my label and placing the package in the bin......what more do I need?

Well it proves you've actually dropped off a package at the PO.  I guess you trust everybody. Heaven forbid you get a counter person that screws up one of your shipments.

Message 21 of 35
latest reply

No one will even look at that for proof of anything except maybe 3rd part insurance cos that aren't worth having

Message 22 of 35
latest reply

My handling time is set to same-day so if I miss the 11 pm EST deadline for an Acceptance Scan, I get a defect. Standing in line to get mine scanned eliminates room for error. The Acceptance Scan receipt for tracked items is not strictly necessary at that point but, as I mentioned earlier, it's easier to take what's offered than to get into the nitty-gritty of when I need it and when I don't.
Message 23 of 35
latest reply

@decal-fx wrote:

@recped wrote:

I still don't understand why anybody would want or need a printed receipt for an item which receives an acceptance scan.

When I drop off Expedited Parcels I'm not waiting around for anything never mind a receipt, I drop my package on the counter, say thanks and am out the door in seconds. If I were to look back on my way I would see the clerk scanning my label and placing the package in the bin......what more do I need?

Well it proves you've actually dropped off a package at the PO.  I guess you trust everybody. Heaven forbid you get a counter person that screws up one of your shipments.

The Acceptance scan proves you dropped off the package, a printed receipt is totally useless in any type of eBay or PayPal claim.

If you are really worried it won`t be scanned you can stand around and watch it happen. If you get an eBay or PayPal claim and tell them all you have is a printed receipt they will just laugh at you and refer you to the UA which clearly states that ANY evidence must be online viewable.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 24 of 35
latest reply

@dinomitesales wrote:
I don't know why you were able to get acceptance scan receipts for commercial shipments, and of course there really isn't any way you can prove that.

I'm not calling you a liar, I'm just saying that the way the system is set up there should be no way for that to happen. Now, I've only worked here for like 6 months, so if these transactions were done prior to that then I can not confirm nor deny whether it was once possible.

I found it: Acceptance Scan from the post office and PDF of the label printed and receipt gained through the EST on CPC. 

Brazil Acceptance Scan.JPG

Electronic Shipping Tools POSTAGE LABEL PAW PATROL EVERST BRAZIL CPC ONLINE DEC 20 2016.jpg

Message 25 of 35
latest reply

@recped wrote:
The Acceptance scan proves you dropped off the package, a printed receipt is totally useless in any type of eBay or PayPal claim.

If you are using an untracked shipping service eBay and PayPal are both useless to start with. That's not why one gets a paper receipt.

My reasons to get a paper receipt are (a) for the nervous buyer wanting to know it has been mailed (I get a few Americans every year); (b) when using a 3rd party insurance service; (c) helping train new postal clerks Smiley Tongue

-..-

Message 26 of 35
latest reply

Yeah, I have no idea how your clerk was able to do that. Here, I even took a photo of the relevant page in the Retail Operations Manual (a binder nearing 1000 pages in length) at work yesterday. If the label was printed on anything other than PayPal (eBay) or Ship-In-A-Click, then it should have only been able to be processed as a Commercial Transaction and therefore has no receipt option.

If you say your clerk is just giving you a receipt for everything, I suspect she is just taking in any parcel and attempting to Originate it. This must be some weird situation where certain shipping methods on EST are eligible for Origination. I really have no idea.

I hate Canada Post sometimes - I consider myself very well-versed in how things work there and every once in a while you come across random things like this.

Message 27 of 35
latest reply

Just like MJW L, Every day when I come home from shipping tracked stuff, I have a (sometimes long) receipt like this with all the tracking numbers on it. 

I am a "put stamps on the box" kinda guy, so that probably makes the difference, but to me that is a "normal" receipt I've always gotten (since our wee PO went electronic)......

Hmm I just realized something, because I can't use the solutions for small business rate (because stamps on the box kinda guy), perhaps I'm not showing as commercial at all, however the PO keeps telling me that I qualify for the top SSB rate, so they know I'm shipping lotsa stuff......

Message 28 of 35
latest reply

Even if you pay the full postage amount using stamps, the clerk should still be putting your item on the scale, measuring it, and printing out the appropriate shipping label (especially if it's a tracked service; this is the only way to generate the tracking number).

This will give you a normal receipt with all the parcels and tracking numbers on it, even though you didn't actually pay anything.

However, If I've correctly understood what you're describing, this is a completely different transaction than originating/verifying a pre-paid label. If you aren't paying for postage with a credit card on Canada Post's website, printing out a label, and affixing it to the box, it isn't considered a "Commercial" transaction. You're still probably showing your SSB card when you drop your stamped parcels off at the post office, so the system is still recording what services you are shipping by, and the actual amount of the postage.
Message 29 of 35
latest reply

@dinomitesales wrote:
Even if you pay the full postage amount using stamps, the clerk should still be putting your item on the scale, measuring it, and printing out the appropriate shipping label (especially if it's a tracked service; this is the only way to generate the tracking number).

This will give you a normal receipt with all the parcels and tracking numbers on it, even though you didn't actually pay anything.

However, If I've correctly understood what you're describing, this is a completely different transaction than originating/verifying a pre-paid label. If you aren't paying for postage with a credit card on Canada Post's website, printing out a label, and affixing it to the box, it isn't considered a "Commercial" transaction. You're still probably showing your SSB card when you drop your stamped parcels off at the post office, so the system is still recording what services you are shipping by, and the actual amount of the postage.

Yes they have to weigh it etc, and remember that there are stamps on the box (only a problem when I have a fill in, I have to remind them about that...)

They have my SSB number memorized (remember I'm at a wee post office) so they're putting that in, and I believe that gets me the minimum SSB discount even though I've got stamps on the box.. I get the discounted level on the business prices sheets, just not the extra discounts I should get.....

And yep I agree that's probably why my receipt looks like MJWs. Not sure why she gets one, but from what I see the PO processes are onerous and problematic....

Message 30 of 35
latest reply

@decal-fx wrote:

So are acceptance receipts no longer given when we take our prepaid (Paypal)  Postal Labeled Packages?
My two closet "Official" Postal Outlets say their most recent system update no longer lets them give me one.

It is because the person at the counter is useless and does not know which button to press. We get a scan in receipt with every single scan in. Without the receipt you are not going to be able to make a claim on a small packet with third party insurance.

There is one staff person at our postal outlet who refuses to admit that there is such a receipt. If she is there when we arrive we just walk out and go back later. Fortunately it is just across the street.

We ship every day.

Message 31 of 35
latest reply

@maximus7001 wrote:

@decal-fx wrote:

It is because the person at the counter is useless and does not know which button to press. We get a scan in receipt with every single scan in. Without the receipt you are not going to be able to make a claim on a small packet with third party insurance.

There is one staff person at our postal outlet who refuses to admit that there is such a receipt. If she is there when we arrive we just walk out and go back later. Fortunately it is just across the street.

We ship every day.

The OP and all the other posts before this thread went off the rails was about EXPEDITED or TRACKED PACKET, services which do have tracking and do show acceptance scans online.

Small Packet / Light Packet are different and you can (or should be able) to get receipts for these and I don't think anyone (including PO clerks) has said that you can't.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 32 of 35
latest reply

recped wrote:.... Small Packet / Light Packet are different and you can (or should be able) to get receipts for these and I don't think anyone (including PO clerks) has said that you can't.

I've never gotten an acceptance scan receipt for something mailed via Light Packet. There is no barcode on that, or at least there wasn't the last time I printed one a week or two ago. Can anyone confirm otherwise? Small Packets, of course, has a bar code. 

Message 33 of 35
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

recped wrote:.... Small Packet / Light Packet are different and you can (or should be able) to get receipts for these and I don't think anyone (including PO clerks) has said that you can't.

I've never gotten an acceptance scan receipt for something mailed via Light Packet. There is no barcode on that, or at least there wasn't the last time I printed one a week or two ago. Can anyone confirm otherwise? Small Packets, of course, has a bar code. 

Maybe he was referring to buying them at the counter? I pay for my small / light packet at the counter and you'd get a receipt because you paid at counter... however when i buy them via Paypal shipping then I can't get a acceptance receipt for those. 

Message 34 of 35
latest reply

Do you mean a receipt like that which shows you bought postage? Or a receipt with a bar code on it like my photo above?
Message 35 of 35
latest reply