As a seller I made mistakes but buyer is not cooperative, I need to cancel, defect?

rawx4u
Community Member

Hello I listed a pair of boots and after they were sold I realized that I made many errors in that listing. First I had "undercharge" for international (UK) shipping, then I wrote 2 different sizes in the listing one in the description and another in the details on top of the description, one was men US9 the other men US8, also I realized they were just a little bit more used than I thought.

So for these 3 reasons I messaged my buyer, first it was for the money that I needed to ship to the UK (90CAD...) and I took pictures of the boots again and asked him to confirm that they were okay for him and that if they weren't we could cancel without problem no worries

He replied by saying "I don't want to cancel (althought no confirmation that the boots are okay for him) and I can send you money as a demonstration of good will, but I have already given 70$ (which was not true) " That's what he said

It took the whole first week before I had the money, and then he said "I hope there will be no further delay"  (still he only replies one time each day)

Now since I realized that the item description was not correct I felt stressed about this and asked him if he would not rather cancel and buy it back, I said to him an ebay representative told me that it was a good idea, he replied it can't be true because it is against ebay ethos (?)

I sent him a picture of the boots with the measurements in it (with a measuring gallon next to the soles) and asked him to confirm that it is the correct sizing for him based on these measurements

He did not replied, he isn't replying

I don't feel good about this buyer I would prefer cancel the sale but I fear the defect I will get will damage my store visibility

And I also fear the buyer will leave negative feedback, I also fear he would have leave a negative feedback anyway just for the delay

The eBay rep. I spoke to today told me "yes no problem you would be able to apeal to remove the defect or the neg. feedback no worries" 

He said: 

"If you feel that this buyer is fraud you can definitely cancel the order and relist the item again so that we are safe for this"

"No worries we can definitely remove that defect on your account, we'll request that jean you are fully protected by us"

04:29:24 UTC rawx4u
Thank you but can you tell me for which reason I will have to say, to get the defect removed please
04:30:32 UTC Alexander John
You just need to reach us since you have canceled the order for suspcious buyer
04:30:40 UTC Alexander John
So that we can request it to be remove
04:32:43 UTC rawx4u
Do I base my claim that the buyer is suspiscious just by my feeling? or does the fact that he does not reply is considered, but it is only since 24 hours that he hasn't replied, do I need to wait more, what are the criteria please
04:33:37 UTC Alexander John
Yes, we will give this buyer a chance for 24 hours to reply on your message,if not you can cancel the order
04:33:58 UTC Alexander John
Thank you for using eBay live chat. I will close our chat now.

I think it's not true at all, right?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

As a seller I made mistakes but buyer is not cooperative, I need to cancel, defect?

You messed up.....BADLY!

You made a mistale (several) so own up to it.  The chat bot is just telling you what you want to hear and/or misunderstanding what the real situation is (because you didn't tell the whole story).

Besides your error in the description you CANNOT ask a buyer to pay more for shipping after the fact.

One defect won't have any effect of your Seller Status.

FYI - When you add VAT the buyer did pay $69 for shipping!

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I doubt you'd be able to remove the defect for cancelling the order due to errors on your part. It seems like the buyer does want the boots, sending the extra shipping money to you seems to demonstrate that.

If you're really feeing unconfortable with the sale go ahead and cancel it though. You can have a couple defects without any penalty to you're account's visibility. 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

First I had "undercharge" for international (UK) shipping,

You have to eat it. We are not allowed to change the amount (or service) advertised

then I wrote 2 different sizes in the listing

This is a possible reason for cancellation.

and I can send you money as a demonstration of good will, but I have already given 70$ (which was not true) " That's what he said

Spidey senses that this is not your buyer but a scammer who has hijacked the transaction.

Buyers don't "demonstrate good will" by sending partial payments (and your buyer didn't) , they just pay in full.

the whole first week before I had the money,

So he paid in full.

And then you are supposed to ship.

asked him to confirm that it is the correct sizing for him based on these measurements

Not replying is a confirmation. Not a good one, but a confirmation.

The eBay rep. I spoke to today told me "yes no problem you would be able to apeal to remove the defect or the neg. feedback no worries"

Well, you can appeal (and suspicious buyer is a reason) but there is no reason to believe eBay will remove any Defect or negative feedback. They might/they might not.

Since you are quoting I assume this was a Chat or FaceBook discussion? Those reps are eBay employees.

The biggest problem with an appeal would be your admission that you underpriced shipping. It would be reasonable to think that was the entire problem and to ignore the sizing and poor communication.

However, the fallout from a single Defect should not influence your selling account. The possible results could be a rise in fees (from losing TRS status, basically), a restriction on the number and value of your listings ( this could mean you are paying a Store subscription, but cannot use all the "free" listings you are paying for), or in the worst place, your selling account could be closed.

Any or all of these are unlikely.

Only you know if you have other Defects in the past 12 months.

The buyer can leave feedback for a Cancelled transaction, and while eBay does not use FB to assess accounts, your future customers might.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

rawx4u
Community Member

Thank you everyone, yes I think this buyer is somehow suspect it looks like he is waiting the item to ask for a return, like as if he would have spotted my errors in the description and would use it to his profit! This is the feeling I have really. I cannot risk to lose 2-300$ or something, I feel very uncomfortable with this sale, it's crazy.

The buyer is not voluble at all gets me even more nervous, I usually ask them to confirm that they are aware and that they still agree about the item condition (by replying to my message) so that way I am sure they won't have a surprise if the item is not new.

He stopped replying when I sent him the size of the soles with a photo

* (Previous quoted phrases were from chat transcript yes. I should have asked the rep to read our whole discussion, but anyways the buyer seems somehow weird by not replying, I know I messed up but still he could be nice and just conceive things to me, it's important after all)

I'll wait another 16 hours and then cancel on the reason that the buyer is somehow suspicious, it could be hijacked or a phisshing towards me to ask for snad asap

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

There is no option to cancel  because  'buyer seems suspicious'.  Your choices are:  buyer asked for cancellation, problem with buyers address or problem with item/out of stock.   Since the item was worn more than you described and the size was inconsistent, it seems like the last choice would be the most realistic.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

The only way to not get a defect is if the buyer would request a cancellation, but they have said that is not going to happen.  That leaves you with either shipping and paying the extra or cancellation and take the defect.   Defects will happen, and 1 is not a big deal as you are within the % limits for your seller level.  

Even if you decided to ship and pay the extra shipping yourself it sounds like the item is not as described in the listing so you are open for an INR claim.  Your sending extra pictures and written info outside of the listing will not help with an INR claim.  There have been threads in here about similar situations and you can't count on after the sale messages providing any cover.  

I would not really say that the buyer is looking to scam but they may realize the shipping is pretty decent so are not willing to voluntary to cancel.

In you shoes I would just cancel, take the hit, and relist it correctly.    

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

Just a tag on, if cancelling, make if for a problem with the item not that the shipping charge was not high enough.  The fact that the item is not as described is sufficient.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

rawx4u
Community Member

Thanks again y'all for the replies, I won't complain about the shipping money missing, no that's not my issue really, I am willing to ship it right away no problem, but my concern is that as soon as I informed of the measurements of the soles using a picture to the buyer, he stopped communication with me, I have no news of him since. I fear the buyer was a scam artist and it is regretfull that there is no option to cancel over suspicion about the buyer. I'll call eBay tomorrow, it's been 2 days with no reply from the buyer, but yes I understand now that messages sent afterwards doesn't count as valid over isnad chargebacks. This I am taking note

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Go with the FaceBook, Twitter or Chat services which are WRITTEN by eBay employees.

The phone reps do NOT work for eBay, but for sub-contractors and have no authority.

https://twitter.com/askebay
https://www.facebook.com/eBay/

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

This could be a sticky post 😁

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

EBay reps in chats have been really misleading since 8 month approx (June) They practically say anything and it's contrary

"Sure you'll be able to win the appeal for the defect : The seller is our top priority" (Without knowing anything about the context) They say it all the time, they said I was about ti win an appeal 8 month ago, after misleading me to wait 5 days "for the buyer to prove the shirt was fake" (instead this laps of time was the only time I was given to give the buyer a way to ship the item back) then after the 5 days , lost the case, the rep responding to me now was saying "sure you will win your appeal because it is written in the chat transcript that we told you to wait instead of giving means to the buyer to return the item, wait my reply in 3 days, I am working for you right now (etc etc) 5 days later, new rep said hey who are you? no you're not alowed this and this you've lost your chance, end of story etc

I don't want to rant, it's just the truth

But I'll cancel the item tomorrow, buyer has never replied after my last messsage, , he looks like someone hijacked his account to scam me, spidey tickles me he's up to no good

Message 12 of 12
latest reply