Buyer Didn't Receive Item

I shipped an item to buyer in the States and even though the tracking shows that it was delivered January 20th she didn't get it.  I told her to check with her neighbours but other than that I don't know how to help her.

She told me that she had an item delivered to a neighbour by mistake a few days ago and I suspect that's what happened with my item as well.

It was shipped via Tracked packet and fully insured.  Is there anything I can do for the buyer?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

yes, this will be a case for paypal.  the buyer will have to submit an item not received case, then you will have to call Paypal and give them all your information, tracking number , delivered etc..

Paypal can check the tracking info, immediately,, then they will see it was delivered, paypal then will cover the lose out of it's cookie jar..  They either have to call the buyer a liar or refund them..

Ebay will not do anything in this case as far as i know, you will have to call Paypal and invoke your seller protection..

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

You've done it.

You used tracking. Tracking shows delivery.

In addition to asking her housemates and neighbours, she should report the (probable) theft to the local postmaster and her police force.

They probably can't get it back, but it may held the authorities build a case.

You are off the hook.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

As has been told to you by the other experienced users that have responded, neither ebay nor paypal will hold you responsible as the seller for this problem if you have tracking that shows the item was delivered to the address to which it was supposed to be delivered.

That being said, put yourself in the shoes of your buyer who is left in the cold with this. You can afford to be generous with this because your butt is covered: tell them you will cooperate with whatever investigation the postal system will need to do in order to accommodate their problem, and mean it. Call Canada Post and tell them you need to open a ticket about a Delivery Scan Error with a tracked parcel you sent to the USA which your buyer says they did not receive. There will be some kind of investigation, you may have to provide a statement and the contact information of the buyer etc. It will take weeks to probably ultimately go nowhere but you can at least offer moral support to the buyer in this situation.

Do this at least for your buyer. It is a terrible feeling to see the parcel you paid for says it is Delivered but it is nowhere to be found. Maybe it was stolen instead of misdelivered. Who knows. 

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Tracking may show successful delivery to the address, but without signature confirmation, there's no proof.   The carriers obligation ends when they've left the package at the addressees door.  I had a buyer actually find her package tucked behind the chimney along the side of her house ( a week after it was delivered).  I know it's insanely expensive to ship with signature, but it is the only way to 100% guarantee delivery.  

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Which means it comes down to being a nice girl or a professional.

It is not the seller's fault or responsibility to do more than buy a Confirmed Delivery service.

If the carrier messes up (the chimney, seriously? not even a note to in the mail box/slot to indicate where it was hidden?) that's on the carrier, not the seller.

(Obviously, we are making a difference for high value parcels. And the seller can upgrade if she wants to.)

Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Of course, it is professional, as Maureen says, to advise the buyer about her choices. But none of those choices is a refund from the seller.

She did her job.

The dotCOM Boardies get snippy about Signature Confirmation.

I agree that if the customer , or the address, look skeezy, the seller can, for her own peace of mind, spend the buck fifty for Signature.

But the US Boardies have hissy fits, because their post offices have limited hours and, heaven forfend, the customer may have to get into her SUV and stand in a line to pick up her parcel.

spinach_p323.jpg

I'm feeling particularly old and grumpy tonight.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Appearently when an item is scanned as delivered by USPS they can tell where it was scanned via gps. Suggest that your buyer call the postmaster at their local post office to help figure out where it was delivered.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

reallynicestamps - "I'm feeling particularly old and grumpy tonight."

What is so different today from any other day? grinning 

Sorry the devil made me do it!

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

When there is a tracking number Canada Post do not have a right to leave a package in front of the door .The tracking number is almost like signature .Read the rules of Canada post .

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

wrote:

Tracking may show successful delivery to the address, but without signature confirmation, there's no proof.   The carriers obligation ends when they've left the package at the addressees door.  I had a buyer actually find her package tucked behind the chimney along the side of her house ( a week after it was delivered).  I know it's insanely expensive to ship with signature, but it is the only way to 100% guarantee delivery.  

My oddball place was in the BBQ. It was a few weeks before the buyer went to BBQ something and found their package.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

fashionoutletdeal - "Canada Post do not have a right to leave a package in front of the door ."

The parcel was sent to and delivered to an American address.  Canada Post rules do not apply.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Canada Post reserves the right to Safe Drop tracked packages. It’s in the terms of use, and up to the sender to determine whether to select Card for Delivery or Do Not Safe Drop or pay for Signature.
Message 12 of 21
latest reply

wrote:

When there is a tracking number Canada Post do not have a right to leave a package in front of the door .The tracking number is almost like signature .Read the rules of Canada post .

And if you truly believe this, please cite your sources. 

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Thank You.  

(To other posters), Yes, Of course I know that I'm not liable because I shipped with tracking but I was hoping for something that would enable me to help my buyer.

Knowing where the item was actually scanned would help although I doubt that the PO would go along with that.   It would take effort on the part of the PO to get that information and if it reveals that they made a mistake they have nothing to gain by that.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Like I said:  call CPC and open a Delivery Scan Error ticket. They will necessitate an investigation. What else are you expecting to hear? You wouldn't want to be told to refund the buyer from the kindness of your heart, you aren't travelling 5,000 km to her house to help her search for the lost parcel, what's left for options? pj says tell the buyer to call her local postal office to see if they can identify with GPS where it was scanned as delivered. This is it. There is nothing else. Unless you want to mail the buyer another item in its stead?

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

wrote:

Like I said:  call CPC and open a Delivery Scan Error ticket. They will necessitate an investigation. What else are you expecting to hear? You wouldn't want to be told to refund the buyer from the kindness of your heart, you aren't travelling 5,000 km to her house to help her search for the lost parcel, what's left for options? pj says tell the buyer to call her local postal office to see if they can identify with GPS where it was scanned as delivered. This is it. There is nothing else. Unless you want to mail the buyer another item in its stead?

I was expecting a tip like PJ provided and I thanked her for it.    That was helpful because I hadn't realized that they could pinpoint the exact location where the scan took place.  (Whether they "will" do it however, is another story.)

Your post, however, is gibberish.  Why would I travel to my buyer's location and help her look for the parcel.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

joke
jōk/
noun
noun: joke; plural noun: jokes
  1. 1.
    a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter, especially a story with a funny punchline.
    "she was in a mood to tell jokes"
    synonyms:funny story, jest, witticism, quip; More
    pun, play on words;
    informalgag, wisecrack, crack, one-liner, rib-tickler, knee-slapper, thigh-slapper, punch-line, groaner
    "they were telling jokes"
    • a trick played on someone for fun.
      synonyms:trick, practical joke, prank, lark, stunt, hoax, jape;
      informalspoof
      "playing stupid jokes"
    • informal
      a person or thing that is ridiculously inadequate.
      "the transportation system is a joke"
      synonyms:laughingstock, object of ridicule, stooge, butt; More
      informalAunt Sally
      "he soon became a joke to us"
      farce, travesty, waste of time
      "the present system is a joke"
verb
verb: joke; 3rd person present: jokes; past tense: joked; past participle: joked; gerund or present participle: joking
  1. 1.
    make jokes; talk humorously or flippantly.
    "she could laugh and joke with her colleagues"
    synonyms:tell jokes, crack jokes; More
Message 17 of 21
latest reply

I'll repeat the part you were supposed to note and take to heart a third time so that it is abundantly clear: call Canada Post and open a ticket to investigate a Delivery Scan Error. 

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Whatever it was, she found the purse.  relieved

Go figure:  Her boyfriend had received it and someone had misplaced it in the back of his store.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

I’m glad that it all worked out.🙂

Message 20 of 21
latest reply