Buyer to pay return postage costs

My listing states 'buyer to pay return postage costs'.    Buyer wants to return perfect item - says faulty.  I started return procedure but Ebay asking me to send the return postage to buyer first.    I think if I do this, Paypal will refund the whole amount they have 'frozen' meanwhile in my account, ie., item price and original shipping cost (subsidised by me) paid by the buyer.   Also, am I liable for import duties and tax on this item returning to Canada from the States?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Buyer to pay return postage costs

On a SNAD, genuine or not, you have to supply return postage either in the form of a Paypal payment to the buyer or use a USPS label for the return.

What is in your listing gets trumped by the Ebay money back guarantee.

Has the buyer opened a return through Ebay or did they just send an email?

I would do nothing until an actual claim has been opened by the buyer.

What is the value of the item?

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

The only time eBay will make the buyer pay for return shipping is when the Dispute is for 'buyer remorse'.

Your Terms of Sale are overridden by your eBay Selling Agreement.

Whether the buyer is truthful or not is irrelevant.

This is not personal, it is business.

If you do not send the buyer the return shipping, you will lose the Dispute. And the payment, And the item. And get a Defect.

Now.

If the buyer is in Canada, you can buy a shipping label and send it to them electronically.

They use it, you get your item back, you refund.

(You shake your fists to the unhearing skies and vow vengeance..... no. No. Professional! Sigh.)

Relist and if you feel like it Block the bidder.

If the bidder is in the USA, apparently we can now register through Shippo with USPS and send a USPS Return Shipping Label.

No one has reported doing this on the Boards yet.

Would you be willing to be the test case?

If the buyer doesn't use the label to return the item, you don't pay for it, you win the case, and the buyer cannot leave feedback. You also keep the original payment.

Not every transaction will go perfectly.

We've all been there once or twice.

Best wishes.

v I think if I do this, Paypal will refund the whole amount 

OH MY GHU!!

Is this a Paypal dispute?

If so. YAY!

Tell the seller to return for a full refund.

Paypal insists that the unhappy buyer pays for the return shipping.

Not you.

And if he doesn't, he loses the case and you keep the payment.

None of this is fast, because eBay and PP have to believe that both sides are telling the truth.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

the original post says Ebay and I think he is confused because Paypal has the hold hence the comment about Paypal.

Unless the OP has everything mixed up.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Was this for the cup and saucer? How much did the package weight when you sent it and what are the dimensions?

If the item was broken and they are able to show you a picture, you might not want to pay for it to be mailed back.  If you do, you'll need to figure out the cost they will have to pay for postage and send them the amount through Paypal - send money - pay for goods or services. Do not send the money through the friends and family link. You need to then send ebay proof that you sent money for the label so that the buyer can't ask ebay to step in.

We can help you figure out the shipping cost back if you need help.

If the buyer is using first class which is the least expensive, they must print the label online in order for it to have delivery confirmation. If they buy it the post office it won't have any sort of tracking.

When filling out the customs info on the label, they can mark that it is for 'returned merchandise' so that you won't be charged tax etc.

If you send the money and the buyer doesn't send the item back, we can help you get the money for the postage back. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for the help.....the buyer opened the case through Ebay, and Paypal have frozen the total amount.

Value of the item was $20.00 CDN.     

I will send the buyer the return postage and refund original postage and item cost when I receive returned item.

I guess its always a lose lose situation on Ebay unless you are the buyer.

What's the point of putting any statements regarding shipping etc., on the listing when Ebay 'trumps' anything?   

Been with Ebay since the late 90's and I think its time to say goodbye.

Thanks again,

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@misstake wrote:

Thanks for the help.....the buyer opened the case through Ebay, and Paypal have frozen the total amount.

Value of the item was $20.00 CDN.     

I will send the buyer the return postage and refund original postage and item cost when I receive returned item.

I guess its always a lose lose situation on Ebay unless you are the buyer.

What's the point of putting any statements regarding shipping etc., on the listing when Ebay 'trumps' anything?   

Been with Ebay since the late 90's and I think its time to say goodbye.

Thanks again,

Is it worth paying for return shipping if it is damaged?

Might be cheaper in the long run to just refund and write it off.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply