Can we send non-document items lettermail via Canada Post

I made the mistake of posting this query on the US forum initially. I need to know from those immersed in Canadian eBay selling, so ask you as well. 

My question: It has been 3 years since I sold on eBay. I sell mostly small items and could send narrower items (crystals) by lettermail back then. It was getting risky towards the end of my time here. But, now I am back and need to hear from Canadians. It's still a no-no to send small non-document items such as crystals by lettermail via Canada Post, right? Any suggestions on how to send such items affordably? I should mention that I am in a rural location.

Now, I did get one reply on the US eBay forum. I was told that I can send lettermail non-document parcels to the US, but have to send a customs declaration. Can I print that form via eBay?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

in a word NO for items shipped anywhere outside of Canada...but many sellers still enjoy the thrill of playing "Russian Roulette" with Canada Post's Policy that Lettermail to the USA & International destinations must be letters/documents only and all else must be sent as a package(Small Packet,Tracked Packet,Expedited Parcel,etc).

ALL Goods/Merchandise sold has a value and that must be declared as such for customs and therefore IS NOT lettermail.

Some sellers may offer responses of the RISK & REWARD of using letter mail for non-document/non lettermail items, but if you value your product and value your time,effort & money involved in selling, you may want to consider the possible consequences IF any of your USA/International lettermail shipped items are returned to you because of being rejected by the postal systems.

Howevewr, WITHIN Canada, sellers can still send non-letter/non-documents materials/items as lettermail as per Canada Post's specified requirements for size and weight.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

You are not supposed to send goods via lettermail outside of Canada though some sellers still do. You take the chance of having the envelope returned to you especially if a bubble mailer is used or if CP suspect that it contains good.

I haven't seen your post  on the US board but ebay doesn't offer that service.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Lettermail should not be used outside of Canadian borders.

We are supposed to use Parcel services -- even for a single postcard.

American buyers love tracking and it is very cheap (25c surcharge online) but tracking from Canada is very expensive.

Do you have a Solutions for Small Business account with Canada Post?

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/business/small-business.page?

This offers some discounts .

Buying shipping labels through eBay also offers discounts, and can make your bookkeeping simpler.

Note that the current promotion on Tracked Packet USA ends very soon. Don't count on it being renewed.

Finally, often the cheapes tracked DOMESTIC service is Registered LetterMail.

Registration of a 45gr letter is $1.30 for the "letter" which can contain goods and $9.75 for the tracking.

The cheapest domestic Regular Parcel is~$12.00 within your province and the next one over.

Don't use Registration for shipments going outside Canada. It might or might not work properly and it's not worth taking a chance.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

ignatia
Community Member

A big Thank You to everyone responding. I appreciate it.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply