Duplicate Listings on .ca & .com

For sellers who list on both sites (.com & .ca) under the same eBay account...
I remember someone mentioning on this forum that you can't list the same Buy It Now item on .ca and .com because it's a duplicate policy violation. But I'm looking at a section of the eBay duplicate policy which reads:

"Separate listings for the same item are allowed on different eBay sites, as long as the international shipping options don't result in the listings cluttering the search results of any individual site."

Does anyone know what this means exactly? What shipping options am I suppose to select to prevent cluttering of search results? I don't get it...
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

"Does anyone know what this means exactly?"

It means exactly what it states.

If you list an item on eBay.ca, and a similar item on eBay.com, they cannot show the same shipping options.  In other words, the .ca listing cannot ship to the USA and the eBay.com listing cannot ship to Canada; also, one or the other cannot ship worldwide as this would create duplication somewhere.

In such instance, use the KISS principle: prepare one listing (on either site) with multiple quantity (2 or more).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

"Does anyone know what this means exactly?"

It means exactly what it states.

If you list an item on eBay.ca, and a similar item on eBay.com, they cannot show the same shipping options.  In other words, the .ca listing cannot ship to the USA and the eBay.com listing cannot ship to Canada; also, one or the other cannot ship worldwide as this would create duplication somewhere.

In such instance, use the KISS principle: prepare one listing (on either site) with multiple quantity (2 or more).

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Ahhhh that makes total sense now! Goodness today is my lucky day getting an instant "solution" on the spot. Thanks Pierre, you are awesome!
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Why would you list an item on both sites when you can list it on one site and show shipping to both Canada and the US?

Most of us who say we list on both sites mean that we list some items on .ca and some on .com, not that we list the same items on each site.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I currently list on both sites (like you, some items on .ca and some on .com - different items no BIN duplicates). But I'm considering duplicating now because the Buy 2, get 2 free sale promo I've applied to my US listings is working really well and I'd like to apply it to more items (but I can't because eBay doesn't let us do these sale promos on .ca.). So why don't I list all my items in US$? Because Canadians & Internationals (non-US) prefer buying in CAN$. So I don't want to eliminate my CAN listings either. Of course eBay would make my life easier if it would just give us the same sales features on .ca that are offered on .com. But I've already brought up that topic on the forum and apparently .ca is not getting sale promo options anytime in the near future...So if duplicating in this way could bring more sales to my US buyers, then it may be worth it. Dunno, I'm still thinking about it...
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I understand. It does seem like a lot of extra work to put the same item on both sites...and confusing.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

...and, if we're talking about the EXACT SAME, ONE ONLY item, (not similar, multiple items)...

1. Can you list ONE item on both sites?

2. How do you remove the item from ONE site, if/when it sells on the other?

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

You can list the item on either  .CA or.COM, not both as that is classed as "duplicate" listing and duplicate listings are NOT allowed. It matters not which site you choose to list the item as the listing will be visable on both sites.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply