Ebay Cancelled a Sale Because Of An issue With The Buyer’s Account

I had a sale on (Friday May 5) for a piece of jewelry. The buyer has 8 positive feedbacks in the past month. They used a forwarding address in Portland Oregon.  I have sent to that area many times before, so thought nothing of it. The buyer paid right away. I printed up a label. I had the package all ready to send out. Today (Sunday May 7) I get a message from eBay stating they cancelled the sale because of an issue with the buyer’s account & not to ship the item. The buyer is no longer a registered user now. I'm not sure how to proceed.

Should I contact customer service? Do I need to refund the buyer? Will eBay give me back my fees? Should I get a refund for the label I printed up? Anyone else ever had to deal with this situation?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I've had that happen but had already shipped the item.  I waited a while and nothing happened so the package was delivered and  I kept the money.  I know that the same scenario has happened to a lot of sellers and I think that at least in some cases ebsy cancelled the order by mistake.   I've never heard of the seller having to refund the buyer in those cases but there might be handled differently in the seller hasn't mailed the item befire being notified.

Does the order actually show as cancellled in sellers hub?  Since you haven't mailed it already you might not be covered if there is a problem.   You coukd contact the buyer to see if they know what happened.  Or you just cancel the label.  I'm honestly not sure how I would handle it.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

The payment went through okay a few days ago. Wondering if eBay cancelled because it now says the buyer is no longer a registered user.  Maybe I should just send the parcel off tomorrow. The label I made up is with tracking. I should be covered then.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

since it's unknown whether ebay closed the buyer's account or the buyer did it by themselves, it's tricky to know how to proceed.  You probably won't be able to contact the buyer, since their account is closed, unless you already have some kind of personal contact info for them.

My advice is to do nothing for several days and see what happens.   Ebay may end up refunding the buyer themselves, or they may take the buyer's refund from you or the buyer may not get a refund.  I don't know if you'll be able to refund the buyer yourself, now that their account is closed and the sale cancelled.  

It seems to me if Ebay were going to refund the buyer with your money they would have done it already, when they cancelled the sale.   

Wait and see what happens.  If you get to keep the money, then you can ship the item or not, being gided by your conscience.  I don't think shipping labels expire so you can still use it several days from now.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply