Help with Managed Payment Listing Fees

Hi everyone,

I want to clarify how Managed Payments fees will work. (I have already read the various help articles).

Putting insertion fees aside, is the fee for typical categories (ex. Cell Accessories) 12.35% of the final sale + $0.30CAD?

I am just wondering of whether this will actually result in savings for me like eBay says. I don't think it will, so if anyone could let me know if my below example makes sense, please do.

I sell mostly inexpensive items (less than $8.00), so I have a PayPal Micropayments account, which charges a 5% final value fee plus $0.05 per transaction.

Let's say I sell an item for $5.95 (my typical price). In the current system, I would pay $5.95 * 0.10 for eBay fees + ($5.95 * 0.05) + $0.05 for PayPal fees. The total fees I pay for this transaction is $0.94.

With MP, I would pay ($5.95 * 0.1235) + $0.30. That's $1.03 of fees.

I know that's not a very significant difference, but it's not giving me any savings like I thought it would. That will add up, eventually. Are my calculations correct and will this system not benefit those who sell lower priced items?

Thanks,

Adam

Message 1 of 104
latest reply
103 REPLIES 103

I have successfully registered for Managed Payments

I now have a section in my Seller Hub > Overview page called Payments.... with a link that has taken me to a lot of new pages of information.

This  Payments section on my Overview page can only be viewed on eBay Canada

All of this information is for eBay Canada.

Message 21 of 104
latest reply

Those links give no information to sellers unless they have already registered for MP. 

"Information on fees and how they are calculated will be made available at the beginning of the registration process. Once managed payments is activated for your account starting late July, you will pay only one final value fee, consisting of a category-based percentage of the total amount of the sale, plus a fixed fee per order, with no third-party payments processing fees."

There is NO way for sellers to have all the information prior to signing up for MP because eBay does not give sellers the opportunity to learn more.... There is no way to learn more without signing up for MP first....

Not that I care for myself because I don't...

but I had been garnering info for those that were inquiring.

I have seen and learned enough to know that the decision I made 18 months ago, was the better one. My other selling venue is now seeing more sales than from eBay so I'm feeling great about that.

Message 22 of 104
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Re: Fee Calculator

Does it resemble something like this?

Megacomputer Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock

This may be a good starting off place? You can always tweak after.

-Lotz

This new "Simplified" FVF/MP implementation is really something, there are so many variables in play now. This guy points out just one of a whole host of tricky aspects.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/Managed-Payments-Answers-to-some-Frequently-Asked-Questions/t...

Why is eBay turning Sales Tax collection into a profit making scheme via Managed Payment's  "Simplified Fees"? eBay is taxing the sales tax which it collects at a VPR or Variable Percentage Rate based on the category a seller is selling their item in. How is that fair?

If a seller sells a widget for $1,000.00 and the sales tax collected is $100.00 (10% sales tax) then.......

With the way that things currently are with PayPal the seller would pay $2.90 on that $100.00 of sales tax collected.

Evan Amazon only charges its sellers 2.9% on sales tax collected.

With eBay's new SIMPLIFIED FEE structure for sellers who will be enrolled into Managed Payments starting in July, a VPR or Variable Percentage Rate is assessed for sales tax collection depending on the item's category in which it is sold.

So in the example I am going to show a few different variable percentage rates that eBay sellers who are store subscribers will be paying for the same $100.00 of sales tax collected by eBay.:

Collectibles Category - 11.5%: the seller will pay $11.50 on that same $100.00 of sales tax collected.

Video Game Consoles Category - 6.35%: the seller will pay $6.35 on that same $100.00 of sales tax collected.

Heavy Equipment Category - 3.85%: the seller will pay $3.85 on that same $100.00 of sales tax collected.

Book Category Category - 14.35%: the seller will pay $14.35 on that same $100.00 of sales tax collected.

So now a Book seller is expected to pay eBay $14.35 for every $100.00 in sales tax collected. Which is $8.00 more than the Video Game Console seller and $10.50 more than the Heavy Equipment seller for the same $100.00 of sales tax that eBay is collecting!

THAT IS NUTS!

Why is the percentage rate charged for sales tax collection not a fixed percentage rate?

Why should a Book seller have to pay eBay $14.35 for every $100 in sales tax collected and the Video Game Console seller only have to pay $6.35 for every $100 in sales tax collected?

Is the Video Game Console seller better than the Book seller in eBay's eyes?

Does eBay expect some sellers to carry another seller's water for them?

What about the Collectible Shoe Seller who sells shoes with a price over $100.00? Those sellers pay 0% in FVF.

Does that now mean that Collectible Shoe sellers will pay 0% in fees on the sales tax collected by eBay?

Many of those shoes sell into the tens of thousands of dollars.

How does that work?

Message 23 of 104
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

It is my understanding that starting in July, for MP sellers,  the new simplified fees include the processing fee....Then there is the 30c per order fee plus any applicable taxes including the USA internet sales taxes will also be subject to the category-based FVF percentage. For some sellers there will be a little savings, for other sellers a little more costly.

That's correct ... the new "simplified" fee structure .... lol here .... combines the normal category fvf together with the payment processing fee and applies the combined "simplified" fee % to the total amount of the transaction including taxes. 

Message 24 of 104
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

Store selling fees for managed payments sellers

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/selling-fees/store-fees?id=4809

Selling fees......sellers without a store.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4822

Those links only allow you to see the actual MP fees after you have signed up.

Message 25 of 104
latest reply

Exactly! and that is not right!!

Only those sellers who have committed to/received the registration email/signed up for MP have access to further info from eBay.

All other sellers who have not done so, still do not have access to that info, and want to get questions answered before they sign onto MP. Why should sellers not have access to this info BEFORE they sign up for MP is indeed ridiculous.

Why would anyone sign up for something for which they have not gotten clarification and/or the needed info to make a decision on how to proceed going forward into something so important to their businesses. eBay's secrecy and lack of transparency on this MP situation speaks volumes of how untrustworthy eBay has really become...

Message 26 of 104
latest reply

Managed Payments is the future of eBay.

If a seller wants to continue selling on eBay, they must register for Managed Payments.

Even if you do not want to continue selling on eBay, with Managed Payments,  registering should be an option even if you choose not to continue selling on eBay...

Register and then leave before Managed Payments becomes a reality.

... and... maybe you might choose to continue selling on eBay

Message 27 of 104
latest reply

It is my choice to continue selling on eBay....

Have been  selling on eBay since January 2003....   I have done very well on eBay

eBay has made many changes over the years..... and I have adjusted to each change

Managed Payment will be my next adjustment

My plan is to continue selling on eBay until about May, 2023.....  and then.....retire

Message 28 of 104
latest reply

eBay's future is not my future..

not a chance in Hell will I sign up for MP... for myself not worth the bother for the few sales I get from eBay; especially when I can garner as many or more sales on my other selling venue(which is now the case) with a whole lot less hassle, a lot more ease of selling and a whole lot more pleasant venue to be a part of...

I should have left eBay in 2017 when my sales dropped by over 85% but needed somewhere else to go...well it took some doing to go elsewhere but that is finally paying off...

I don't need eBay and eBay certainly doesn't give a hoot whether I am here or not...

eBay will soon be just a memory for me...

Message 29 of 104
latest reply

I find it rather funny that all the things being said about Managed Payment were said back in 2006 when the Acceptable Payments Policy started and all sellers were required to offer and accept PayPal.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 30 of 104
latest reply

One would think if there are actual savings to be had with managed payments eBay would show examples of how this possible. It would be better advertising than sellers trying to rationalize the math on their own. Hey...Just sayin'!!!

-Lotz

Amazon.com: 1976 Vintage Print Ad for Holiday Inn | The Best ...

Message 31 of 104
latest reply

How many sellers did not like the look of Seller Hub when it appeared on eBay?.

and...

How many sellers do no use Seller Hub  today?

We shall make it happen.... with the New Managed Payments option.....

Message 32 of 104
latest reply

The thing is, not everything works as it should in eBay.  We've come down with Stockholm Syndrome when it comes to putting up with the quirks and bugs on this site.  eBay is an e-commerce site that's like the hotel room in the ad you've pictured: stuck largely in the past and updated through a series of applications of bubble gum and paper clips.

I think @recped said something elsewhere that if eBay takes the extra revenue it's going to pick up from Managed Payments and uses some of it for some much needed upgrades to the site's infrastructure, he'd be okay with this.  I know I would be.

Message 33 of 104
latest reply

That may well have been I don't remember as I was one of those who warmly accepted PayPal as it made things so much easier than waiting on checks, money orders and/or cash, which was often sent through the mail as well...

In all the years of using PayPal, don't recall ever having an issue...don't think I have ever made a phone call to PayPal...

Message 34 of 104
latest reply

Quote --- "PayPal, don't recall ever having an issue....."

US State Internet State Tax..... Paypal charged a fee before the internet tax was removed from a transaction record on Paypal.....

Wonder what will happen with the Internet State Tax with Managed Payments

Message 35 of 104
latest reply

@marnotom! 

Remember the apology sellers got for the great "we lost all your photos debacle" from a few years ago and the explanation that those kind of things would NEVER happen again?  All the time it cost those sellers to fix that problem? We still see lots of  little and big recurring issues that seem  with very slow response times to getting them resolved. I agree with your point about putting up with the quirks and bugs on this site. But accepting those problems as just the way it is, doesn't seem right to me.  Just like having eBay sellers diagnose  those problems for eBay. Well unless those same sellers are going to start seeing by the hour cheques as eBay Computer Support. Like George W. was known to say...."Isn't gonnnnna happen... Seeing extra revenue  being put towards upgrades and fixes to known issues is wishful thinking.

-Lotz

Message 36 of 104
latest reply

eBay.COM has already said that the category based FVF starting in July for MP sellers, is also charged on the USA internet sales tax...

Message 37 of 104
latest reply

If FVF are changed on the US State Internet Tax....

For Canadian sellers this will become a part of the total in fees charged by eBay.

Then.... eBay charges a GST/HST/QST on the FVF for this Internet State Tax.

This will be a charge paid by Canadian sellers for something that is not the responsibility of Canadian sellers....

The GST/HST/QST charged by eBay  is then paid to the Canada Revenue Agency.

Message 38 of 104
latest reply

Currently Canadian sellers are seeing that USA internet sales tax floated through PayPal with the PayPal fees charged on it.

I do not know how the USA internet tax is being handled for MP Canadian sellers on .CA, but for .COM, that tax is subject to the category-based FVF %.

Message 39 of 104
latest reply

Yeah, the access to information is *terrible*. I shouldn't have to dig around and then ask on the forum to find basic information about a service eBay is trying to get me to sign up as soon as possible. Thanks for helping provide some answers.
Message 40 of 104
latest reply