Hi - How Allow buyers to NOT have to Pay immediately ? So able to combine purchases from me?

Hi -something has changed on me somehow in the last few months. Now even on ebay.ca  buyers are forced to pay for each purchase immediately. Before they could purchase 2-3 items and wait for me to adjust the shipping fee before paying. I cannot see anywhere in my preferences where it says - Buyer must pay Now - ....I just can't face calling Ebay Cust service yet. I have such a long list of issues that are causing me grief and $$ but I have approached them 2x in the last year ..each call over an hour (in waiting etc and call length) and yet NOTHING was done..even after second call and many apologies... always..I am writing a ticket etc to that dept. to fix for you -very frustrating. Do they ever take responsibility for their Glitches ??  ie my shipping policy changes mysteriously after the listing is posted to a "lower" ship rate; Buyer purchases and I am out a couple $$ !!  - The last phone call, the lady was perplexed but verified that it indeed was happening.....but has yet to be fixed - 6 month later!  My health sucks, so i am very very slow on follow up -which is why i hope things are accomplished the first time !!!

ok -sorry to start a rant ---  I just hit 1000 Feedback stars -very happy at that.

so can someone point me in the right direction to correct this forced payment thing please.

and IF there is a "Management Dept" to direct mishandled issues to - I'd love that Link Also

many Thanks - melanie

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Hi - How Allow buyers to NOT have to Pay immediately ? So able to combine purchases from me?

It's not a glitch. eBay decided that an item under $1K now has to be paid for immediately unless the buyer knows enough to place their items in the cart and then pay the total cart amount. And if the cart actually works. Unfortunately, there is no way to opt out of this.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Thank you very much!!!
Message 3 of 18
latest reply

an item under $1K now has to be paid for immediately

I don't think that's true-- certainly the UID I'm waiting to time out was not paid immediately.

watermelon

Are you getting a lot of multiple purchases? Or is this one multiple in the last 50 or so?

Going only by FB, I can see this has happened once in the past six months.

If it is only occasional,you can follow up the payment with a refund of the difference between what the buyer paid and the actual cost of shipping.

When you make that refund, don't forget that you paid taxes and fuel fees to Canada Post as well as a 10% shipping FVF on your shipping charges and GST/PST/HST on all your fees. So the refund will not be exactly the difference between the shipping charged and the shipping refunded.

I also would like to make a few suggestions since you are a returning seller.

Look at your listing on a mobile. Over 50 % of transactions involve phones nowadays. You may be shocked at what your customers are seeing-- and are not seeing.

And re-think all this:

I am thrilled to get back selling on E-bay. I have been slowed down the last couple of years by a few Auto-immune conditions but finally am recovering. ...

Your customer doesn't care. Do you discuss the health of the shopclerk at HoltRenfrew?

I will combine shipping if doing so will bring a cheaper rate.

THey will remember theCHEAPER and forget the IF

If you have any problems or concerns during this transaction, please let me know before leaving feedback. I will work with you to earn and keep my 5 star rating.

You're that desperate? Oh goody, here come the scammers.

Customers get my Olympic gold medal!

Do you have a gold medal? Is it solid gold? If you mention it in your description, you are setting yourself up for a Not As Described dispute when no gold medal is included.

Frankly, I'd drop everything after "Look for more Goodies."

Either it is covered by eBay policies or is unenforceable.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

"eBay decided that an item under $1K now has to be paid for immediately".

If that's the case it's not working very well.

I've bought over 50 items during the past month, and upwards of 200 in the last 6 months.

Many orders were multiple items. I don't use the cart, as it generally hasn't worked for me.

A lot of sellers, have never bothered to set up combined shipping settings, but that doesn't seem to affect the operation of the cart anyway.

If I'm lucky 'Request total' works, but often have to message the seller, as I'm greeted with the dreaded 'This seller doesn't offer combined shipping discounts', though stated otherwise in the listings.

Nevertheless, I've never had to pay for anything immediately.

Those that purchase from me have never had to pay immediately, unless I'd chosen that payment option for a higher priced item.

The biggest grievances seem to be the cart not working properly, and my buyers paying $17.90 shipping for 9 items, and waiting for me to refund $15 of it.

I just wish they'd ask or wait for invoicing. If the cart worked...

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

I have noticed lately that in some cases buyers seem to be forced to pay immediately and others they don't.

This happens when I'm negotiating pricing and of wanting to make invoice adjustments before they pay. Some buyers seem to be unable to just buy without paying.

I've never so far had the inclination to try to find out why some have the problem, but there are some approaches to buying that do seem to require immediate payment.....or just some buyers who don't understand how to buy without paying (I've always expected that is more likely the case).

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

If immediate payment is not set in the listing then for Buy-It-Now (and Auctions that end with a BIN) "Immediate payment is automatically required on items priced below $1,000, that have a specified shipping cost, and where PayPal is the only payment method offered."

https://pages.ebay.ca/help/pay/require-immediate-payment.html

Not sure what impact offering local pickup has on these criteria.

-..-

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

All three criteria were met by my current UID.

This is my first in over a year on all my IDs, so I can't say I have a lot of experience on the subject.

Unless Free Shipping doesn't count as 'specified shipping cost'.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

I have noticed lately that in some cases buyers seem to be forced to pay immediately and others they don't.

This happens when I'm negotiating pricing and of wanting to make invoice adjustments before they pay. Some buyers seem to be unable to just buy without paying.

I've never so far had the inclination to try to find out why some have the problem, but there are some approaches to buying that do seem to require immediate payment.....or just some buyers who don't understand how to buy without paying (I've always expected that is more likely the case).

^^^^ This IS accurate.

I've tried hard to find a pattern but so far no luck. So far I have not seen it affect Canadian buyers but it is randomly applied to US & other International buyers.

The policy was originally announced back in 2012 (or maybe 2014?), few specifics were given at the time and later on even those small details were cleansed from the original Seller Update announcement.

I have had many back and forth discussions with experienced buyers who have been unable to find a way around it no matter how they attempt to use the cart (or not), log into .ca (or not) to make the purchases or any other way.

It was originally promoted as a thing to help sellers avoid unpaid items.

Bottom line for me is that I've had to create custom listings for many buyers, this works for the buyers who contact me (long time buyers) for other buyers it means plenty of extra 30 cent fees to PayPal and more FVF's for eBay when over-payment refunds are done.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

It's very inconsistent and in at least some cases it seems to be based on the site the buyer is on.  For example if I try to buy your NZ vacation  home set, I am given the commit to buy option on .ca but would have to pay right away on .com.  

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

If immediate payment is not set in the listing then for Buy-It-Now (and Auctions that end with a BIN) "Immediate payment is automatically required on items priced below $1,000, that have a specified shipping cost, and where PayPal is the only payment method offered."

https://pages.ebay.ca/help/pay/require-immediate-payment.html

Not sure what impact offering local pickup has on these criteria.

-..-

I offer Local Pick-up on all listings which may be why it doesn't seem to affect Canadian buyers but it certainly doesn't help for non-Canadian buyers.

As far as "automatically required", that's a crock since it happens to some buyers but not to others even from the same listings.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@recped wrote:

@ricarmic wrote:

^^^^ This IS accurate.

I've tried hard to find a pattern but so far no luck. So far I have not seen it affect Canadian buyers but it is randomly applied to US & other International buyers.

Bottom line for me is that I've had to create custom listings for many buyers, this works for the buyers who contact me (long time buyers) for other buyers it means plenty of extra 30 cent fees to PayPal and more FVF's for eBay when over-payment refunds are done.

Exact same issues here. I wish to heck they would fix this as it does effect sales. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason other than it might possibly be reacting to some criteria on the buyer's account. Doesn't seem to matter which country site the buyer uses. I've had buyers buy the identical item lots and one can use request total fine and another gets the error message. I wish they would just disable whatever criteria they have that is forcing this. If ebay is concerned about payment then can just move to a 24-48 hour automatic unpaid case opened by ebay.

If they want price certainty and to eliminate deadbeats, give sellers better tools for setting up shipping. EBay's cart/shipping functionality is way behind current ecommerce standards.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Link to the following page..

https://pages.ebay.ca/help/pay/pay-on-ebay.html

Where we find the following statement... under        other terms

If your seller doesn't use eBay checkout, you receive an invoice or other payment instructions from the seller to help you complete your purchase.

Go to .....

Account > Site Preferences > Payment from Buyers > Use Checkout... Yes or No

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Mine is turned on, I am thinking turning it off would not be a good thing to do?

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

I've always had the checkout question set to "no", doesn't make any difference that I can tell. I think the whole checkout thing is a holdover from many years ago when sellers could redirect to their own checkout process. eBay put a stop to that about 10 years ago.

As for "eBay should fix this"......to me it would seem that eBay thinks this IS "fixed".

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

Hi -thank you for this ; I will look into your suggestions whenever I catch my breath... The "spiel"  was written on day one back in 2014 when the Olympics were going on.. - I didn't know how to set up Business Policy's then. Somewhat still don't but learning.

?? HOW do I get rid of that detail from my active listings ? I just keep using the Sell Your Item feature and Sell Similar - and overwrite the last details.... Can I MASS DELETE  that section - or MASS Edit ??

And Yes I am just getting back now to read these responses...I see my Doctor again tomorrow about getting some more Pep !

I'd love to put in 10 hour days on Ebay and do on the good days but need to be able to everyday. God Bless for your help.

Melanie

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

Hi - hmm... months later - but I have started editing out some stuff per your suggestions - Thank-you -- This "blurb" was written at the very very beginning before I knew how to deal with setting up Ebay policies etc.. well still don't have much figured out really - How would I go about bulk deleting part of the descriptions on existing listings?? Or would I just have to start with a blank slate moving forward? -not sure if you get a nudge on very old content or not... I am getting a fair amount of people buying 2 ties or craft kits etc -- and yes I normally do refund them watching my bottom line - but many don't want to risk paying over $10 above and hope to get refunded... tho a guy in Japan who just returned again- paid over $30 more than needed for shipping with a small note saying -see you do combine shipping, a small refund would be nice .. - to get around this -I've been trying to learn the shipping discounts set-ups as mentioned in my newest question - theoretically it would work well - but maybe need to hire a 20 year old to code it for me - thanks - often I lose how to get back to these pages to get my answers and then reply as well. on the new questions - i clicked everything - bookmark -subscribe- notify me - hopefully I will find the breadcrumbs back to the solutions... cheers Melanie
Message 17 of 18
latest reply

If you establish Combined Shipping Rules, shoppers will be able to Add to Cart and checkout in a single, seamless move. 

Message 18 of 18
latest reply