I refunded before getting item back

A buyer asked to return an item (via eBay message), originally saying it was not as described.  That was later changed to "too difficult for grandma" (it was a jigsaw puzzle).  I agreed to the return and gave my address.  After a few weeks I wrote again and she said it was too expensive to ship back and she was going to donate the item to a seniors centre.  After back and forth emails a few more times I decided to refund cost of item and just block her.  I did contact eBay and ask what could I do - they said they would look into it.  I just received another email from buyer saying again item was too expensive to return.  Should I just chalk this one up to experience or is there anything else I could do?  She has given me +FB.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The buyer asked to return- Buyer Remorse.

You agreed.

She said returning was too expensive, but asked for a refund.

I decided to refund cost of item and just block her.

That's allowable

• -Keep in mind, your costs are not the customer's payment but your procurement cost+eBay fees+PP fees+ shipping fees, which are (I hope!) less than the customer paid.
  • It is also reasonable and allowable to refund only the selling price and not the cost of shipping which went to the shipper who did his job.

You refunded the customer and Blocked her. Or did you ?

I'm not clear why the buyer still thinks it necessary to return the puzzle.

If you have refunded her, just ignore her.

You have no reason or responsibility to respond to her.

If you see her ID in eBay messages or your own emails, just delete without reading.

I did contact eBay and ask what could I do - they said they would look into it.

You can cancel the transaction "At Buyer Request"  and get your eBay fees back.

BUT

I'm not sure if eBay would not then automatically refund her again.

That's what you should be asking Customer Service about. Perhaps even ask the rep to walk you through the cancellation process so that you do not accidentally refund her again.

If you have not refunded her- and again, I'm not clear that your decision to do so has been followed through- she has to return the puzzle to get the refund.  Her move.

If it's good enough to keep, it's good enough to pay for.

And if she finally does return it, if what she bought was a sealed puzzle, what she returns should be a sealed puzzle.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

The buyer asked to return- Buyer Remorse.

You agreed.

She said returning was too expensive, but asked for a refund.

I decided to refund cost of item and just block her.

That's allowable

• -Keep in mind, your costs are not the customer's payment but your procurement cost+eBay fees+PP fees+ shipping fees, which are (I hope!) less than the customer paid.
  • It is also reasonable and allowable to refund only the selling price and not the cost of shipping which went to the shipper who did his job.

You refunded the customer and Blocked her. Or did you ?

I'm not clear why the buyer still thinks it necessary to return the puzzle.

If you have refunded her, just ignore her.

You have no reason or responsibility to respond to her.

If you see her ID in eBay messages or your own emails, just delete without reading.

I did contact eBay and ask what could I do - they said they would look into it.

You can cancel the transaction "At Buyer Request"  and get your eBay fees back.

BUT

I'm not sure if eBay would not then automatically refund her again.

That's what you should be asking Customer Service about. Perhaps even ask the rep to walk you through the cancellation process so that you do not accidentally refund her again.

If you have not refunded her- and again, I'm not clear that your decision to do so has been followed through- she has to return the puzzle to get the refund.  Her move.

If it's good enough to keep, it's good enough to pay for.

And if she finally does return it, if what she bought was a sealed puzzle, what she returns should be a sealed puzzle.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thanks for the clarification. I have blocked her ID, so I will ignore her emails from now on.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

anfra-5595
Community Member

How can get back the Item

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 5 of 5
latest reply