Item Not received - Did I make a mistake somewhere

Hello,

I am new to the selling side of things on ebay, having decided this was the year to get started on that. I mostly want to stick to video games for now and move on to other things as I learn the process. I started with 10 items on auction, 9 sold, 1 did not recieve payment, but the other 8 were, seemingly, sent out and recieved fine, though I only recieved feedback from 2 of them, until today when I was informed that one item has not been recieved after two weeks. It is, of course, the most expensive item I sold.

I used Canada Post lettermail on all items, applied appropriate, perhaps even excessive postage, copy and pasted all buyer addresses, secured them to the envelopes, took pictures of said envelopes, and ensured they were sent off as soon as possible. Once I got home from the post office, I immediately went to select that the item had been shipped. Come my surprise when I recieved a message from a buyer that they have not recieved the item after two weeks. For distance, I am in Alberta and he is in Quebec.

I responded by detailing the process, showing there was no tracking number, and showing the picture of the envelope. I asked if they could perhaps wait one more week, but also said that if they requested a refund they would be reimbursed. Finally, I asked for them to send word if they recieved the item. The item in question is not a large value item, but they paid standard price for a video game these days, so I can understand the desire to get what you paid for as quickly as possible and the frustration of an item not arriving on time.

I understand that this can happen especially with lettermail, but from what I read on similar posts it just sounds like I got rather unlucky on my first go. The buyer is in good standing so I am not suspecting fraud. Any advice on best practices for the future? It would be appreciated. 

Thank you. 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

We all get these from time to time, it sounds like you have a reasonable buyer which is very good news (as in you might get them to pay again after they do get it). Sending non tracked is a risk we the sellers choose to take, so we also bear the risk if it is not received. You may have seen other threads about cookie jar insurance, that's what most of us "normally non tracked senders" do to protect ourselves.

I have canned responses to INRs, here are a couple for reference, each time they're edited to reflect the current situation:

(when NO case) Hi! THX For your note!

I definitely share your frustration with the postal system! Hopefully you received my message that this item was shipped the next day, January 3rd. This particular package should not have been slowed down much going across the border (I'm in Canada) but the after Christmas shipping times can sometimes be very irregular. The good news is that ever since COVID began, my worldwide package loss rate has remained below 1/2 of 1% so over 99.5% of the time the packages do eventually arrive.

It has been just over a week since it was mailed, normal delivery times are usually in the 2 week timeframe so there is a very good chance it will arrive within the next week. I would really appreciate it if you don’t mind waiting another couple weeks before we decide the package is lost and I refund your money, but I will be ok whenever you decide. If it gets to the point that you think it has been long enough, please just open an item not received case and I will refund your money out of my own funds. Assuming the parcel does arrive after that, let me know so I can set things up so you can pay again (this is my full time job, small parcels like this are not insured so I am out 100% if they do not arrive).

Thank you very much for your patience during all of this, please let me know if you are ok with this plan, and I hope you have a great day!!!

(when a case IS opened)

Hi USERNAME! I’m sorry to hear that the stamps have not yet arrived.

I definitely share your frustration with the postal delays! Unfortunately the odd shipment is taking longer than usual to arrive with no rhyme nor reason as to which ones are affected. This particular package should not have been slowed down much going across the border (I'm in Canada) but one never knows. The good news is that ever since COVID began, my worldwide package loss rate has remained below 1/2 of 1% so over 99.5% of the time the packages do eventually arrive.

Now that a case has been opened the only options eBay gives me are to send a message or refund and irregardless of messages, I have to refund by Wednesday November 30. If it is ok by you, I will wait to refund until Wednesday November 30 because there is a very good chance it will arrive in the meantime. If it arrives before the 30th, you can just close the case. If not I will refund out of my own funds. If it does arrive after the refund, please let me know and I’ll set things up so you can pay again (this is my full time job, small parcels like this are not insured so I am out 100% if they do not arrive).

Thank you very much for your patience during all of this, please let me know if you are ok with this plan, and I hope you have a great day!!! 

=================================================================

Here is last year's loss rate for me, stay tuned, some day soon I'll provide the 2022 update...

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/RICARMICs-Self-insurance-cookie-jar-statistics-to-end-of... 

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

We shipLetterRate because the alternative  tracked parcel services are so expensive (starting at $12 for regional regular parcel) that they would discourage buying  and because Claims are,in spite of your early experience, quite rare,usually less than one percent of sales.

Cookie Jar Insurance just means putting a few virtual pennies from each sale into a virtual cookie jar as a self-insurance premium against problem transactions.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I'll add a few things to this. Video games are a higher potential fraud category, but that doesn't sound like it's the case here. When you send enough items via lettermail, eventually one or two will get lost somewhere. This is extremely rare though. It sounds like you've handled things very well in your communications and probably got really unlucky.

A few things to think about:

• It's best to use labels printed out with either a laser printer or a thermal printer if possible. If the package gets a bit damp or experiences excessive rubbing in the mail, this ensures the address will still be readable. Using label paper and an inkjet printer will probably be fine too, just less ideal. If writing it out by hand, make sure your handwriting is VERY neat. DO NOT use regular paper and tape to attach the address to the package. Also, not all brands of bubble mailers or labels stick as well as others. Some tend to peel and stick to other items, which then rips the labels off. I've only had this happen once or twice, but it is worth experimenting with different brands if you end up selling lots.
  • It's a good idea to put something inside the game / dvd case to prevent the disc from rattling around and potentially coming loose. I use very thin packing foam, but tissue or paper towel would work fine too. It doesn't have to be much, just that tiny bit helps ensure the disc stays put. You want to be able to shake the case and not hear a rattle.
  • This is personal preference, but I no longer bother taking a photo of the disc surface. I find that it's virtually impossible to do so in a way that accurately shows any scratches. I simply note the condition in the ad.  I'll usually say something along the lines of it being in very good condition with a few light signs of use, or it being in good condition with a few light scratches that do not affect use, etc.  I generally take 5 photos. One of the front and back from above, one with the case open, one of the front from a horizontal angle, and one showing the bottom and side (if new, this angle also shows the security seal well). It's not necessary to take that many, but eBay seems to like photos and it only takes a few extra seconds.
  • Auctions are usually not the best way to go unless you have a fairly rare or highly sought after item, especially as a new seller with tight listing limits per month. I would personally recommend just using fixed price.
  • eBay's delivery estimates for lettermail are ... optimistic at times. Many of us choose Economy Shipping instead, and just note in the listing that it will be sent lettermail. This gives a longer period of time for the item to arrive if there's any delays. I just started experimenting with selecting lettermail in one of my stores, but I don't have enough data yet to make any kind of observation on the results.
  • If you eventually sell a lot, make sure you have a good scale. Many discs (movies in particular) hover right around the 100g mark. The difference between keeping it under 100g and going over is $1.25, and sometimes that difference is as little as whether you include a packing slip in the bubble mailer or not, or potentially even the difference between bubble mailer brands.
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Oh, also you can verify (most) addresses using Canada Post's Address Complete site: https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/ac/

Also make sure you are formatting the addresses correctly, as that helps ensure that the items don't get delayed in transit and reduces the chances of them going to the wrong person.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

Oh, also you can verify (most) addresses using Canada Post's Address Complete site: https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/ac/

Also make sure you are formatting the addresses correctly, as that helps ensure that the items don't get delayed in transit and reduces the chances of them going to the wrong person.

@misteromega11 

To add on if your buyer is new out of the gate never hurts to google the address and look for issues. Buyers have been known to forget things like suite numbers or N,S,E,W when including the street. Best to ask before you package vs after.

-Lotz

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I asked if they could perhaps wait one more week, but also said that if they requested a refund they would be reimbursed.

In six (not seven)days, ask him again if the item has arrived. If it has not,ask him to open a Not Received case.

DON'T PANIC!

If he does, refund immediately. The prompt action means you will have no penalty.

If he does not, in spite of his FB score, he may no longer b eallowed to make Claims under the Money Back Guarantee,because he makes a habit of claiming.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Many of us choose Economy Shipping instead, and just note in the listing that it will be sent lettermail.

Personally, I would leave it as Economy Shipping.

First because some scammers know  that Lettermail is not trackable* (most aren't that smart but...)  and second because it leaves you room to upgrade if you feel the need.

Promise 20 days and deliver in 14? Golden.

*Registration cost $9.75 and will track a letter within Canada. NEVER use Registration outside of Canada. The newer Tracked Packet or faster more expensive services are reliable. The old joke is that "registered" is the foreign word for "steal me".

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

Great feedback provided in the thread.  I will also echo what @reallynicestamps  said and list with generic economy instead of specifying Canada Post lettermail.  The Canada Post lettermail does not allow enough time for remote locations and snafus that happen, where the generic Economy gives you more wiggle room.

I find that due the low shipping cost I have sent a few items to the Queen Charlotte Islands in BC, others to way north Quebec, etc. and it is iffy that they will make it in the provided timelines.   Sometimes I will put in the description that economy is lettermail and it is usually 8 to 10 business days depending on location.

I actually prefer to not tip my hand in the listing that it is untracked, just to avoid anyone with funny ideas.

Generic economy also leaves you open to use other options such as Chitchats or Sendle Canada.

Something to think about is your personal comfort dollar threshold to send an item without tracking.  I get skittish by $25-$30 US myself, and would charge some shipping to help cover the cost of tracking.  ie. If lettermail is $4, tracking in Canada by registered another $9 maybe charge $4-$5 shipping.   This of course is personal and subjective thing. 

Good luck with your sales. 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Just want to say thank you for all the advice from everyone including this issue and in general. You've all given me a lot to think about when I am able to put more listings up. As a bit of an update, the buyer of the missing item seemed cool and understanding that Canada Post takes a while. I hope it makes it to him, but am prepared for the outcome if it does not.

Again, thank you everyone for the advice. It made me feel better about the future and how to progress from here.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

If you want to expand your listing to the US, I suggest you check out chitchats as a shipping option.  There are locations in Edmonton, and for light items such as games the rates are usually a good amount lower than Canada Post.   Hopefully a depot is fairly close to you so that is a reasonable option. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Hello again,

I'm reviving this thread since, well, it happened again. Was doing alright, no complaints from buyers, everything seemed to be going well and I was comfortable in my new methods. Once something was bought, I would message the buyer with the address they had on record, ask if it was correct, always get a "yes it is", and then print the address with mine as the return, secure it to the bubble wrap envelope, add stamp, and off it goes. So of course it is incredibly disheartening to get another "did not arrive" message. I didn't even try to dispute it, I just sent the refund and was done with it. 

This is my 15th sale overall on ebay, now making it it my second DNR and second refund. The only good side is the missing item wasn't high in value (less than $20) but still. A kick in the pants since I did feel I did everything right. I don't know, maybe I'm just unlucky.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@misteromega11 

I do think that a big problem is the estimated delivery date for lettermail given by eBay.  For example, if one of your items was purchased today you would be expected to mail it on the 9th and the expected delivery date would be May 11-May 17.  That means a buyer could open an INR on the 18th.  If you use one of the generic options-- standard or economy shipping the item will have longer to be delivered before a claim can be opened.  On my listings using standard shipping the estimated delivery date is May 25 which gives the buyer a more realistic estimate.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Go to Business Policies and edit your shipping policies.

Switch from Economy Shipping (Canada Post Lettermail) to the generic Economy Shipping method. I think the generic Economy Shipping timeline is something like 2-18 business days, which is a lot more accurate for Lettermail.

The reason you want to do this is because with untracked shipments, the customer sees an expected delivery date based on the generic terms in your shipping policy. Once this date passes, some customers assume the package is lost and open an INR case.

There is a problem with eBay's Lettermail timeframe that customers are given. Lettermail shipping times are not guaranteed and can vary wildly. Most packages arrive within 4-9 days, but it is fairly normal for a package to take longer. This leads to more customers wrongly opening INR cases when an item isn't lost. 

If you make that small change, outside of really bad luck, you will maybe only get 1 INR every few hundred orders. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply