Looking for a new supplier of mailing tubes

Hi, 

I am looking for a new supplier of mailing tubes. ULINE became too expensive (almost doubled the prices recently), and STAPLES just stopped to sell mailing tubes (bulk) at all. 

Now, a box of 50 mailing tubes 2" x 24" at ULINE costs 125 dollars with tax/delivery. STAPLES charged only 70 dollars for the same, but it's gone. 

Amazon and Ebay sellers have prices from Mars, or another planet.  

Sometimes I can get some cheap tubes from Kijiji, but it doesn't happen very often. 

Maybe you know a good supplier? Every suggestion will be appreciated.  

Image1.jpg

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Looking for a new supplier of mailing tubes

Hi. I didn't see any mention as to how many you may go thru but have you tried making 3 sided mailers yourself out of new or recycled cardboard? I do that and it's very easy.

Option 1. Get yourself  one commercially made 3 sided poster mailer. I got mine from allposters.com. Take it apart and reverse engineer it. Then make yourself a template.  Make your own. I get the cardboard from an electronics retailer. 75" empty tv boxes are great!

Option 2. Buy 6x 6 x?" "tall boxes" from Staples. Cost is approx $2.25 in lots. or buy 4" x 4" x ? tall boxes. Cost is approx $1.44 ea in lots. But watch out with the 4 x 4 as depending on what courier or Canada Post destination you use the 4 x 4 may not be an acceptable size. The added advantage is again there is no added Canada Post mailing tube charge. 

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

I saw some mailing tubes the other day at a dollar store (can't remember which chain), so that's somewhere else you can try.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I think your best bet is finding some place local so that you don't have shipping charges. Do you have a Grainger nearby? These seems like a good price. https://www.grainger.ca/en/product/MAILING-TUBE-WHT-W-CAPS-2X24/p/CPGTUBE224W

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Great tip, I had not idea Grainger carried that kind of supplies.  

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@intimewithmusic wrote:

Hi. I didn't see any mention as to how many you may go thru but have you tried making 3 sided mailers yourself out of new or recycled cardboard? I do that and it's very easy.

Option 1. Get yourself  one commercially made 3 sided poster mailer. I got mine from allposters.com. Take it apart and reverse engineer it. Then make yourself a template.  Make your own. I get the cardboard from an electronics retailer. 75" empty tv boxes are great!

Option 2. Buy 6x 6 x?" "tall boxes" from Staples. Cost is approx $2.25 in lots. or buy 4" x 4" x ? tall boxes. Cost is approx $1.44 ea in lots. But watch out with the 4 x 4 as depending on what courier or Canada Post destination you use the 4 x 4 may not be an acceptable size. The added advantage is again there is no added Canada Post mailing tube charge. 

Thank you for your suggestions  - I appreciate your input. I am not sure if any 3 or 4 sided mailer would be OK. I sell very delicate paper prints, and they might not survive such a treatment (basically, they should always be rolled or shipped flat). The another problem is the weight. The tubes are really light and my packages rarely weight more than 200 g. (most go as 95 g small packet). If I use heavier boxes, the cost of shipping might increase considerably.  

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Might be a good idea! Thank you for your suggestion!  

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@travis7s wrote:

I think your best bet is finding some place local so that you don't have shipping charges. Do you have a Grainger nearby? These seems like a good price. https://www.grainger.ca/en/product/MAILING-TUBE-WHT-W-CAPS-2X24/p/CPGTUBE224W

WOW, you surprised me! I thought I know all that sites! The tubes are really very cheap, I must go there and verify their quality. But even if they are not sturdy, I can always cut them in half and use to ship smaller items. A good find, THANK YOU! Fortunately, there is a branch near me (15 km), so I will save on shipping.  

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

DSCN1768.JPGDSCN1787.JPGDSCN1788.JPGDSCN1792.JPGDSCN1793.JPGVery delicate paper prints should never be coiled for shipping unless the value is below about $50.  They should always be sent in their condition status quo. If flat they go flat. If coiled they go coiled.  If a print is over 16" in height value becomes a factor relative to shipping costs. 

I send my items and photography sometimes flat and and sometimes coiled depending on the length and the value.  

Sending a delicate item in a cheap tube is too risky. It takes a very thick walled heavy tube to avoid a handling snap.  You don't say what length you are talking about or what your values are. It's your items are over 28" & a  $200 yvalue you are much better off putting the item in a tube & putting the tube in a "tall box" with external absorbent material. 

If your stuff is under 18" in length with a high value ship it flat.  Everything below that can go in a cheap tube. 

IT

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Thank you very much for the detailed instructions and photos. You are doing a really good job! 

My prints are between 4" and 25" inches, the smaller ones go flat, the bigger in tubes. I use the sturdy Kraft tubes (thickness .060 to 0.70). Most of my items go for 10 to 50 USD. For special and expensive orders I use heavy duty tubes (thickness .125). The additional external box I use unly in Canada, to avout the tube surcharge. 

I came here for help mainly because of the cheaper orders. If I sell a 10 USD item, the cost of a tube makes a difference. ULINE sells good tubes, but if I pay 1.50 more for a tube, I am loosing 15-20 dollars every day. The Grainger tubes are very cheap, but I am afraid they are not sturdy enough, so not suitable for shipping of longer items (+10"). I will order 10 or so, go there and verify their quality on place. The prints printed on heavy paper cause a lot of trouble. They need a 3" tube, or a flat shipping. Now imagine the print sold for 10 dollars, where the 3" tube itself costs 5 dollars, and additional cost of shipping (because of heavier tube or cardboard) is 2 dollars more.  I remember a buyer from manitoba, who sent an "offer" for 17 dollars, shipping included. The cost of shipping + tube was about 27 dollars.  An Ebay seller dilemma ... 😉  Fortunately, most of buyers just pay and don't ask any question ... 😉

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@38e_avenue wrote:

I came here for help mainly because of the cheaper orders. If I sell a 10 USD item, the cost of a tube makes a difference. ULINE sells good tubes, but if I pay 1.50 more for a tube, I am loosing 15-20 dollars every day. The Grainger tubes are very cheap, but I am afraid they are not sturdy enough, so not suitable for shipping of longer items (+10"). I will order 10 or so, go there and verify their quality on place. The prints printed on heavy paper cause a lot of trouble. They need a 3" tube, or a flat shipping. Now imagine the print sold for 10 dollars, where the 3" tube itself costs 5 dollars, and additional cost of shipping (because of heavier tube or cardboard) is 2 dollars more.  I remember a buyer from manitoba, who sent an "offer" for 17 dollars, shipping included. The cost of shipping + tube was about 27 dollars.  An Ebay seller dilemma ... 😉  Fortunately, most of buyers just pay and don't ask any question ... 😉

"I came here for help............if I pay 1.50 more for a tube, I am loosing 15-20 dollars every day"

Thank you for your compliment. Just trying to help but here's the part I don't understand.

My first suggestion was you make your own triangular tubes that will have no mailing surcharge and you can use free cardboard.  Your total package cost would be zero (ziltch). The surcharge you're paying ($1.50 or 2 bucks) per order would be eliminated.  In the amount of time you've spent looking for tubes I could have made 50 of them for free. 

Here's a photo of the commercial tube we reverse engineered into a flat template. It took less than 30 minutes. After that any diameter and length can easily be churned out  with a pencil, an Olfa knife, a straight edge and an optional $15 glue gun. It so easy it's not even origami. Run the flutes horizontally for max strength (not lengthwise).

You can choose any type of free cardboard you can find.  If you want strength or length TV boxes are great. Most of them are double wall. Electronics shops just want them gone because they jam up or won't even fit in the dumpsters.

My local shop leaves them leaning up against it for us.  You don't even need that. Even the cheapest cardboard in a triangle is stronger than those flimsy mailing tubes and they don't roll around in a packed delivery truck or on conveyors. There is a reason couriers have a surcharge on round tubes.  

I'm sorry you don't see this as viable.  Possibly others who may come across this conversation will want to save $10 bucks per shipment and give it a try. 

If you're still adamant about round tubes watch Facebook Marketplace. A lot of businesses have gone under. They are dumping shipping supplies, shelving and machines for next to nothing.  I've seen tubes and recently bought a load of LP mailers for 25 cents ea. Hopefully you will find what you're looking for.

ITDSCN2462.JPGDSCN2463.JPGDSCN2464.JPG

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

PS...Here's another option but not free: Buy Staples 4"x4"x ?" "Tall boxes. Slit all the way down one side. Fold the slit 4" flap under and glue it with a glue gun or cut it off and tape the seam. Now you have a super strong trianglual mailer that costs approx $1.50 and again, no surcharge. The 36" long ones have been costing $1.44 ea. 

IT

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@intimewithmusic wrote:

Thank you for your compliment. Just trying to help but here's the part I don't understand.

My first suggestion was you make your own triangular tubes that will have no mailing surcharge and you can use free cardboard.  Your total package cost would be zero (ziltch). The surcharge you're paying ($1.50 or 2 bucks) per order would be eliminated. 

Talking about the cost of shipping I also included the cost of the shipping label. A small tube will be always cheaper to ship (small packet below 0.95 g / 9.50 dol). The tube surcharge doesn't apply to small packet (it's clearly stated in one of the last CP announcements - SP is priced according to its weight, not its size). BTW, I don't have Canadian customers very often - I sell domestically maybe 3% of my products, or even less.  Additionally, I am really not sure, how a rolled print will behave in a triangular tube.  I did some experiments, and noticed it freely moves inside. And if I add some "stabilizers", the weight will surely go above 100 g, or even 250 g - so all profit will be gone.  But surely some of my orders can go that way - thank you for your suggestions. I truly appreciate your help.  

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I agree, do what works for your business plan. Sounds like you're in a highly competitive niche. If you have a USA market I fully understand you're competing with their low cost of shipping.

Due to the nature of the items we sell they require tracking and insurance. We don't use Small Packet. I'm not familiar with the details for that service.

40 years of selling & shipping has forced us to find many workarounds we can share in the eBay Community. We have have received many workarounds in return from the community. As of today 222 people have read this thread and given positive feedback.  The subject of mailing tubes is not often addressed here. 

The suggestions I offer are for the community as a whole. They may not apply to some specific sellers.  Many community posters (no pun intended) give few details when they start a virgin topic in the community. The responses they get can be very generalized. As the topic unfolds others,  myself included, discover answers.

"It takes a village to raise an eBay business!" ;>

IT

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

To the ephemera/art/poster shipping community and anyone who ships stuff in bags, boxes, packages and long skinny things. : 

Do we need to reevaluate our shipping procedures with respect to courier packaging requirements?

In June 2021 Canada Post updated their shipping methods recommendations. There are some pretty cool  suggestions. Some cover : Fragile items (china), Perishable items (fruit), (fruit? who new?...;> ,Sharp items (garden shears), EG:     "Magnetic tapes

The item itself should be packaged, but we don't suggest any outer packaging.
You must protect the tapes from being accidentally erased by wrapping them in lead foil.
Mark the item with the words "MAGNETIC TAPE" near the shipping label.

I ship tapes of all kinds and never thought of lead foil or writing Magnetic Tape on the carton. I remember when I had my brick and mortar store the magnetic Dat and regular tapes we ordered did have that marking. 

And the list goes on. The 2021 update is very good . I will include the link to Canda Post page at the bottom .

Those of you who may be considering discontinuing the methods of shipping art and posters in tubes, please view the attached screenshot of the Canada Post recomendations. It appears USPS has already done away with cylinders and only supplies triangular mailers.  I wouldn't be surprised if CP follows suit. 

Link to Canada Post Mailing Recommendations: (you may have to cut and paste this if eBay strips the HTML.)    https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/articles/abcs-of-mailing/examples-of-how-to-pa...

I have a question which could probably be another complete thread. Do any of you write the word "FRAGILE" on the outside of your packages? This has been a long time debate. In the list of items Canada Post includes they suggest doing this on some items and not on others. CP has specific terms to write on the outside of packages. We all have our rules on this but as time goes on and insurance claims increase I wonder if not following the CP suggested packaging procedures will prevent us from collecting on an insurance claim. 

As the risk of doing business online increases should we forget about principles we once followed?

Let's suppose your mindset is if your mark your shipment of dishes "FRAGILE" the courier team will see that and play football with your bone china. This has been the mindset of the past. But suppose today you don't follow the updated guidelines and your carnival glass gets shot out of a cannon. You make your claim but Fedex, UPS, Mailex, or Mailchimp LOL.. denies your claim because you didn't mark the outside of the box "FRAGILE" . 

Should we adopt strict new procedures about courier packaging requirements?

Personally I use the word "Fragile" when the item has a value I prefer not to absorb and can be damaged despite the packaging. "Do Not Bend" is another. I use that on my flat shipped photography. 

I understand "suggestions" and "requirements" aren't the same thing, however I keep hearing about shipment insurance claims being refused on technicallities. For example let's say you ship a pair of sunglasses worth $250 in a perfectly strong box with the word "RayBan" on the outside. You bought the Canada Post label on Shippo and insured the package for $250. The most you will be able to get if the package goes missing is $100 and you may have to fight for that. The other $150 is covered by "Shipsurance.".  They have different packaging standards than Canada Post. They don't allow any print or graphic on the package exterior that eludes to the contents of the package IE: the word "RayBan". 

I would really be interested in how you folks feel about just going with the status quo as you have for decades or if you are making changes to your packaging! 

Thanks

IT

Can Post.JPG

Message 15 of 15
latest reply