Negative Feedback with Incorrect Information- Chances of Removal?

I sold some face Cream which has an expiry date in 2024 (confirmed with manufacturer) - the batch code reads 2205 (shown in the listing photo) - which, upon receipt, the buyer interpreted as an expiry date May 2022, because they didn't think it smelled right. I don't sell expired face cream - and now all my buyers think I do!

The buyer did NOT reach out to me prior to leaving negative feedback. I contacted them to ask them why they didn't contact me ahead of time, so I could explain that it's not expired, maybe a bad batch, and have the option to return. No response yet, but wondering if ebay would consider a removal with proof that the buyer left incorrect information in my feedback, and failed to try to resolve before leaving it?
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

You can try to explain it to eBay for removal but in the meantime, and in case they don't remove it, at least put your response to feedback underneath the negative explaining as you said here that buyer mistook batch code for expiry in error. If anyone goes to read the negative feedback they will also see your explanation there at least.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@msau4301 wrote:

You can try to explain it to eBay for removal but in the meantime, and in case they don't remove it, at least put your response to feedback underneath the negative explaining as you said here that buyer mistook batch code for expiry in error. If anyone goes to read the negative feedback they will also see your explanation there at least.

My understanding is that if you respond, eBay usually won't remove the feedback. They should contact eBay first and try to get it removed, then post a response if and only if they're unsuccessful.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Yes, if you have proof in the listing that they are incorrect, you should be able to get it removed.

Go to this link, scroll to the bottom, click 'email us':

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/selling/seller-levels-performance-standards/appeal-defect?id=4871

Tell them that a buyer left you a negative feedback based on something that is proven false by reading the listing. They complained about a flaw that doesn't exist. 

Be clear that you are not asking to be educated about feedback revision eBay's policy, you would instead like eBay to remove the feedback because you feel it qualifies for removal. 

Then you have to be extremely concise and clear about why the buyers feedback is false and where in the listing they confirm this.

You might have to do this once or twice, because sometimes the CSR might copy and paste instructions abotu buyer/seller feedback revision. Assuming what you're saying is true though, this should qualify for removal because a buyer cannot leave feedback over something that is objectively false. If they said something like "the cream smelled funny, like it was store improperly", you would have a more difficult time getting it removed because that's more their opinion of the item and transaction. Something objective, or a complaint about a flaw already stated in the listing, should qualify for removal. 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Yeah, a negative can always be turned into a positive by responding professionally like a sane rational individual. The response is more for other people who will read it in the future, not for the current customer. Responding to the issue with the current customer is what eBay's messaging system is for. The last thing someone wants to do in a response is be derogatory or accuse the customer of being an idiot, even if the customer is factually wrong. Other people might see that and think if they have any issues with the transaction the seller will be a nightmare to deal with.

Just sounding professional and easy to deal with in the reply along with the facts about why the buyer is wrong usually negates the negative feedback in the mind of someone reading it.

To elaborate on my previous message, it also might help to respond to the neg before reporting it for removal. That way, all the info is right there when the rep first reviews it and makes it easier for them to confirm that the buyer is factually incorrect in their feedback.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Just an update: The buyer did respond to me finally, simply saying, "I am unable to delete feedback" (not, "sorry I got this wrong" or "sorry I didn't contact you first" - which is a shame, since they are also a longtime ebayer that sells!). I replied, "that's okay, I can get ebay to do it for you, on your behalf!". Lol

Anyway, I successfully appealed the defect - with the reason "the buyers comments had no basis".

Immediately afterwards I got a neutral left for me... argh! Can't win 'em all! 😉
Message 6 of 6
latest reply