Shipping to US when you need more than $100 insurance

I recently tried to list an item of jewelry that would be in the $300 value range so wanted to have the option of more than $100 insurance on the package. The only option for US shipping (with Canada Post) appears to be surface, airmail & tracked, none of which you can buy additional insurance. I know there used to be another option to the US expedited or express where you could add extra insurance. I even called eBay about it but they were no help at all. I noticed when I got a letter from eBay this week regarding the reduction in shipping fees for their labels it mentioned expedited parcel to US. My PO said with expedited you can add extra insurance but I am not seeing this as an option for international shipping, only UPS expedited.  What is being used by Canadian sellers these days for shipping items with value in excess of $100.00 & wanting to insure?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@katlover1952 

This is how it displays at Shippo. 

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1682449450180.png

This is the comparison with the new rate CP tool so it should be available at both counter and online. 

lotzofuniquegoodies_3-1682450016909.png

-Lotz

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

As a note, if you're using Canada Post, check the terms of insurance, I have a wonder about whether jewelry is insurable or not. There are some things that aren't insurable, or there are limitations (stamps as an example is $500, although I've had CP try to tell me they don't insure stamps at all too). There's likely someone here who knows for sure, I don't sell jewelry so I do not know but I mention it incase.....

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

@katlover1952 wrote:

I recently tried to list an item of jewelry that would be in the $300 value range so wanted to have the option of more than $100 insurance on the package. The only option for US shipping (with Canada Post) appears to be surface, airmail & tracked, none of which you can buy additional insurance. I know there used to be another option to the US expedited or express where you could add extra insurance. I even called eBay about it but they were no help at all. I noticed when I got a letter from eBay this week regarding the reduction in shipping fees for their labels it mentioned expedited parcel to US. My PO said with expedited you can add extra insurance but I am not seeing this as an option for international shipping, only UPS expedited.  What is being used by Canadian sellers these days for shipping items with value in excess of $100.00 & wanting to insure?

@katlover1952 

Unfortunately if you want to cover yourself for any additional insurance you would need to build it into the handling charge. The option is available at CP/Shippo(eBay labels if item is over 100 in value) Rate per 100  varies per service. If you are able to use Shippo they now have the option to purchase insurance above the 100.00 level. 1.00 per 100.00.

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1682443925924.png

Disclaimer: In order for a package to be covered, the shipping carrier must have verified acceptance of your package for mailing. This is found on the respective tracking websites of the shipping carriers. If a shipping label is printed but not scanned by the carrier as accepted it is deemed as never been mailed and there is no coverage. Limit is 1000 per parcel.

In speaking to a rep from Shippo the other day it does apply to UR shipments. As per the rep you would need proof of scan when you drop off at the post office. I always drop with the clerk to get that scan and keep on hand until my item has arrived. I have not tested the new insurance option so unable to confirm how the process is or the cost.

The rep advised me that they will be working on updating the Shippo page to explain better that this is the case.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

My rep at the Post Office did tell me Expedited US does allow you to buy more insurance. eBay indicated in their letter regarding reduction in label costs that it was one of the products yet it does not come up as an option. This is rather confusing. I know they did used to have this option but do you know when they changed it? Guess my only option would be to take to Post Office directly?

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

@katlover1952 

This is how it displays at Shippo. 

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1682449450180.png

This is the comparison with the new rate CP tool so it should be available at both counter and online. 

lotzofuniquegoodies_3-1682450016909.png

-Lotz

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Thanks Lotz.   I used to use Shippo all the time but have not used since eBay's rates improved on their shipping labels. Will have to go look at this as it may be the only option. Not sure why eBay would mention this expedited shipping in that email to us re labels then not show it as an option.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I have the same problem... tried ebay labels, but there is not way to add insurance.

On Shippo, I chose to add insurance, but then I have an error message regarding FedEX, but I did NOT choose FedEx as the shipping option!! And now each time I go back, I can't change anything...

Only option now would be Canada Post, but the rates are higher. Or third party insurance.

Unless someone knows how Shippo works?

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

I think there is a glitch with eBay labels. If you chose your shipping options before you put in your package size it did bring up a shipping option where you can buy insurance (PO says you can & hopefully it works with eBay labels) . I chose my shipping option & then put in weight & demensions. It is Canada Post Expedited Parcel -USA & the cost varies by location. You would likely have to pay for the extra insurance yourself as it would not calculate it but figured it would not be a big cost. Another member told me about this or I would not know but expect it is some kind of a glitch. I have not yet sold this item so am not able to tell you what happens when you go to print the label.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

What are you insuring against?

Insurance does not make the shipment move faster nor does it keep the shipment more secure from theft or damage.

And it does not insure against a Not As Described claim, nor a switched return.

You may be better to pay for a higher level of service , Priority rather than Expedited,for example.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

What are you insuring against?

Insurance does not make the shipment move faster nor does it keep the shipment more secure from theft or damage.

And it does not insure against a Not As Described claim, nor a switched return.

You may be better to pay for a higher level of service , Priority rather than Expedited,for example.

@reallynicestamps 

There are situations when the item sells for lower than the actual value. As a protection some sellers can insure based on actual value vs selling value for protection. With eBay labels the limit is the eBay sold for. Basically with CP and as far as I know, Shippo it's like an override.

I know in some situations when making claims you have to be able to prove value. Not sure if this is all the time or depends on the claim.

-Lotz

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

I sold a US $1,200 item. Can't pay that amount out of my pocket if it gets damaged or lost.

I finally decided to buy the label on eBay and will buy extra insurance from a third party.

Shippo never worked and got stuck on the FedEx error message.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

I sold a US $1,200 item. Can't pay that amount out of my pocket if it gets damaged or lost.

I finally decided to buy the label on eBay and will buy extra insurance from a third party.

Shippo never worked and got stuck on the FedEx error message.

@lady.stark 

Here are the limits/rules for insurance as per and with Canadapost.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/sending/claims/insurance-coverage.page?

-Lotz

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Can't pay that amount out of my pocket if it gets damaged or lost.

Insurance does not prevent damage or loss or even delay.

As a protection some sellers can insure based on actual value vs selling value for protection.

And if the insurer asks for proof of value, the actual selling price would be the value,not a number in a book.

And again, insurance prevents nothing.

It's an expensive emotional support.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

It does not prevent it, I know. But at least, I'll get my money back *if* it happens. I know I mostly buy peace of mind, but it's alright with me. Would you ship a US $1,200 item without insurance?

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Insuring  item against loss or theft in the mail.  A lot of that happens.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

Without insurance? Meaning paying a premium in case of loss or delay ? Probably not.

The postal system is very good at what it does. A very very small percentage arrives late. An even smaller percentage is lost.

The best insurance against damage in transit is our packaging skills.

The best insurance against loss or delay is Signature Confirmation of Delivery. Not because the shipment moves faster ,but because if a sketchey buyer refuses to sign, not only will the shipment be returned (eventually)but because eBay doesn't insist on ANY refund for Undeliverable shipments.

And if a package is delivered after the estimated delivery date, and the buyer refuses to repay a refund, then we are into theft and it becomes a matter for police not an insurance company.

All that being said, when we were running a shop with an active online presence, we did insure our business with HughWood International, which specializes in collectibles, both dealer and collector. The auction that emerged after our retirement kept them as insurers, and we use them for our art collection separate from any other home insurance.

https://hwinternational.com/ca/

Message 16 of 16
latest reply