No More Shipping Discounts,,,Not charging buyer enough?

It's one thing that we are losing the shipping discounts but now we are not even breaking even when buyers pays for the item and shipping which is automatically calculated from the buyers address...I am $2 short Plus those wonderful fees ebay charges on the SHIPPING..another $2 and change..though I was making $5 now lucky to break even...This constant changing of fees and such from Ebay and Canada Post really makes me want to rethink building my retirement business here..I don't have the next couple of months to change 2900 listings every time they do this,,Please don't reply suggestion I add $5 to the shipping and handling..don't have the time as stated and it's hard enough to compete in this business and it is expensive enough for fellow Canadian buyers out on either coast and the ridiculous fees they have to pay now for parcel delivery...Need to wind this down to 500 listings..Ebay you can take the $1000 a month loss.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: No More Shipping Discounts,,,Not charging buyer enough?

I’m not disagreeing with you but if you want to add a handling fee to 2900 listings you can do them in batches of 500 at a time with the Bulk Edit tool. It’s 30 minutes of work. Adding a handling fee is super fast and easy. Other edits may not be. Write back if you want a step-by-step, I can give you screenshots.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I agree as a buyer shipping cost should be calculated from point of origin to destination and add some handling for material cost. Sometimes the cost of shipping across the country coast to coast is cheaper the just down the street. Go figure how that happens.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Some items are not good for mail order.

My own minimum  value is $9.99USD including shipping.

Yours may vary.

One difference of course is items that tend to have multiple sales.

For example your $1 dart shafts. At a guess, those sell in groups?  Have you considered selling them only in groups and reducing the postage that way?

I notice you already do offer lower shipping for multiple orders. Would it make a difference to sales if shipping on the second item were 75c instead of 50c?

when buyers pays for the item and shipping which is automatically calculated from the buyers address...I am $2 short

On the dart shafts you are using LetterMail, which is a fixed rate and has only had the Small Business Solutions 5% discount. This is not a label you can buy online in any case.

The Calculated Shipping does change based on postal code. I used my own BC code and the ON code for the House of Commons(K1A 0A6)  and there is a $10 or so difference for that Black Rubber Dart Mat.  If you are only looking at it with your own postal code (which is the default) I can understand your concern. But it does correct itself.

I changed my listings on four active selling accounts during the 2016 Hurricane of Changes, and have been working on others since then.

I find that I can change 25 to 50 a day just working from my 'about to close' list. Right now I'm moving everything from GTC to 30 day and adjusting the Returns. The tools supplied seem to do this smoothly for a small miracle.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Sometimes the cost of shipping across the country coast to coast is cheaper the just down the street. Go figure how that happens.

The answer is here:

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Mostly it would depend on the service chosen, which in turn depends on the weight and dimensions of the shipment.

If it's 1.5cm thick and 499 grams- LetterPost - one rate anywhere in the country.

If it's 1.5cm thick and 501 grams- Regular Parcel- rates vary depending on destination.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

What I do for small items is determine the cost to the furthest location, say Nova Scotia. I then calculate a flat rate that is somewhere in-between that over time will not only cover most cities that buy but the odd out of the way place. I then do free shipping and simply increase the price to a desired level.

I find free shipping is easier to handle from an admin view, as it all gets lumped into cost and profits for taxes in the end. Plus buyers usually like free shipping better.

For US customers I charge an extra $5.00 that cover "light packet" and if it happens to be cheaper to go a faster method bonus for both parties.

I sell mostly watches and even at a typical range of 29.95 - 49.95 depending on brand, it works out good.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Two errors one mine one yours.

Letter rates don't have a Small Business Solutions discount.

Light Packet no longer exists.

"I wonder what will happen tomorrow?"-- Maggie Muggins.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Two errors one mine one yours.

Letter rates don't have a Small Business Solutions discount.

Light Packet no longer exists.

Oversize letter can be up to (and including) 2cm thick and 500g in weight.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Sorry, meant to say "Tracked Packet", as this is a lower cost method for USA. Most of my watches can lie flat with a cardboard protector, so it's easier to be able to use tracked packet. The exception is of course watches that have full box and papers, then you have to go full parcel.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@retroman_studios wrote:

Sorry, meant to say "Tracked Packet", as this is a lower cost method for USA. Most of my watches can lie flat with a cardboard protector, so it's easier to be able to use tracked packet. The exception is of course watches that have full box and papers, then you have to go full parcel.

Tracked packet USA has a max weight of 1kg.

No thickness restriction (other than  length is max of 60 cm and length + width + height is max of 90cm).

Insurance is a max of $100, unless you get 3rd party insurance (and/or cookie jar) for above that.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply