No longer registered user after placing order

I got a buyer who placed to me his first order on his account and got banned right after it. Clicked on profil and randomly noticed he was no longer registered. I contacted ebay and indeed they confirmed the buyer is suspended. That's a $100+ order, and money is processed. 

I'm not really confortable to ship as this buyer must be banned for a reason. It means he wasn't allowed to purchase on ebay. And we cannot know if this reason is because he scams. At the same time this is a profitable order so i would not want to cancel. I know he's not protected by ebay money back guarantee he could not do any claim there. But i guess he could still do a claim with his payment method? Could money be reversed from my ebay funds? I do not want to ship and see the money reversed, or face a chargeback against a ghost buyer i can't fight. 

I faced this situation before but it was $2 orders so i manually marked as shipped and did not ship. But now it's expensive i'm not sure what to do. How would you handle this situation? would you ship? Ignore the order? Or cancel? 

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I had one too, what did your message from Ebay say?

Mine said do not ship and that they would eventually pull the funds back when they confirmed that I hadn't shipped. 

So I did nothing, I did not ship, I didn not mark it as shipped and I did not refund. I didn't ever see/notice them taking the $10 back (mine was a small one).

My suggestion is to to exactly whatever it said to do in the email, nothing more.....

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Basically, you have been told this is not a trustworthy buyer.

If you had dealt with him before, and have good reason to trust him, ship as you have been paid to do.

Otherwise, do nothing.
If eBay gives you trouble cancel as Problem with Address, because you have reason to believe the item would not be delivered from what eBay told you.  (Pushing it a bit, but needs must.)

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I had one too, what did your message from Ebay say?

They only confirmed that the buyer was indeed suspended but the order was paid. So that i could ship if i want to ship, or cancel if i want to cancel. They did not said much actually. I really insisted on the 'should i ship' so they answered i could because it's paid, basically. Not the best support i had. Like, a user is mainly banned to protect others, so i don't understand why would they suggest to ship and put myself in that trap. He got banned on his first purchase so this buyer was a banned person trying to bypass the system with a new account. And i don't see why a buyer account would be banned other than abusing the system and scamming. 

I know the buyer isn't covered by ebay on this order but i would really like to know if the buyer claim from his payment method if ebay cover seller, or funds still can be took back from our funds. 

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

• Don’t complete the sale or ship the item to buyername if you haven’t done so yet.
  • Don’t communicate any further with buyername, especially if they get in touch with you outside of eBay. 
  • If buyername requests a payment or refund, don’t send any money without contacting eBay first. If payment was processed, a refund has not been issued yet just in case you’ve already shipped the item.
  • If you already sent the item, contact the shipper to find out if you can stop the delivery and have the item returned to you.
  • If your listing has ended, you can relist your item.

These were my instructions, I don't remember seeing the $10ish that was paid ever come out of my account....

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

Once suspended, can the buyer file a claim for damage or not receied etc.?  If they can't you can ship with tracking without risk.  I would not ship unless they had no recourse back on me.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

No longer registered users are not protected by the money back guarantee. They can't open a claim on ebay, they have no access to it. They probably still can open claims with their payment method. This is where the issue is. If you ship and buyer claim on paypal or chargeback, do we as sellers on ebay, still are protected. And how. Against a ghost buyer who is not a ebay user. Do ebay cover seller money, does funds can be took back. 

I'm clearly not shipping this order. I marked as shipped and archived the order. If buyer wants refund he'll need to INR. May sound unethical, but it's not worth taking the risk of fraud. This payment could come from fraud too, so i won't send back manually neither. 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Update on this the buyer just opened item not received case. Will refund obviously but by curiosity, i thought no longer registered users are not covered by ebay money back guarantee? How did he opened a case on ebay if he don't have an ebay account? I cannot even contact him or anything. Is this how a chargeback is processed? 

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@rocketscollectibles wrote:

I'm clearly not shipping this order. I marked as shipped and archived the order. 

Why would you mark it as shipped if you didn't ship? It sounds as though you are playing a little game of your own, wanting to keep the buyer's money but not ship.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Marked as shipped to archive the order. I won't keep an order active in my tasks forever. This is my business and i will deal with potential frauds the way i want. Buyer can claim his money back by himself. Pointless comment. 

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

There are other options to close out a listing. For example, you could "Cancel Order" or "Send Refund" and then Archive. You chose the option that would let you keep a buyer's money without shipping the item.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Buyer can claim his money back by himself.

Cancel orders and sending refunds may affect ratings in searchs. Stop trying to find trouble. I'm the one facing a potential fraud, not the opposite. 

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

So update. In the refund the other day, i explained the situation to buyer and told that if they wanted to purchase without inconveniences, they needed an account that is not banned. Well, unexpectedly, they made a new account today and purchase multiple items again. It's a different name, different phone number, same adress. Noticed it right away cause its a similar order. This person is clearly banned for good reasons. I'm back to 2 weeks ago hesiting to ship this order. What's the true risks if the order has tracking? 

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

A person can buy as a guest so they don't need to have an account. I have no idea when or why ebay makes a buyer naru but if it was for a legitimate reason you would think that they wouldn't be able to open a new account.  However, I have heard ebay saying that a buyer was naru and it turned out to be mistake on ebay's part so that could be what happened.  You said that the buyer was banned for good reasons but how do you know that.

If you have tracking you obviously won't have to worry about an inr.  But like any transaction the buyer could open a nad as described claim.  But for a $2 item, I would probably take a chance a mail it but it is up to you of course.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

You said that the buyer was banned for good reasons but how do you know that.

Buyers are not banned randomly. There's not much reasons other than scams or abuses. I contacted ebay the first time and ebay confirmed that the buyer was banned.

I printed label this morning and buyer suddently jumped to request me to modifiate the adress, it was missing unit number (first order too had no unit number), it could be legit but that's a typical scam attempt to claim INR on tracked orders. If you modifiate a label manually you can lose protection even if you have tracking. Cancelled order and made him purchase again with infos edited. He did but everything around this user is suspicious. Made me regret instantly that i decided to ship this order. 

But for a $2 item, I would probably take a chance a mail it but it is up to you of course.

Its a $100 order.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

Sounds like this buyer is jumping through hoops and doing whatever you suggest to still be able to buy your items. Could be he is inexperienced and doesn't understand how things work here and really wants your stuff. But of course there is the risk he is playing you and that is why your are suspicious.

If you are sending with tracking (I would think with $100 order you will be) he can't do INR so go with your gut if you think it's worth it. A scammer may have already given up by now.

If it doesn't work out you'll know (the hard way) but if it does work out then it's a sale from a collector who could come back and may appreciate your efforts to help him get the order through. You won't know for sure of course until it's been delivered/received. I know I've had buyers in the past that had me very aggravated, and thinking they were up to no good, wasting my time etc. and they ended up being legit and coming back for more (they make you work for your money but at least they are appreciative.) Good luck.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply