Paypal to cover return shipping fees?

hey all,

not sure if it has been discussed or not already but logged into my paypal account today and was asked to enroll in the Paypal Refunded Return service

it is no cost to have set up with your account.

up to $30 limit per transaction

capped at 10 transactions per year.

so I have to wonder...how will this be funded? I see a paypal rate increase in our future.

and wonder how this affects us as sellers? i see it as a good thing as there is no more haggling over return shipping costs.

so is it kinda 50/50 as far as a good thing for sellers or am i missing something here?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Paypal to cover return shipping fees?

https://www.paypal.eu/returns/

Looks like an enticement for buyers who are leery of eBay sellers that hassle sellers about returns. That is a big issue, sellers not taking any leadership on returns.

What it may do, is hi-lite those sellers who are problematic for returns and refunds. Any buyer that tries over reaching on this benefit will find themselves banished pretty fast. Plus, if a seller knows the return cost is not coming out of their pocket, perhaps they will be a tad more customer friendly?

Photobucket
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

https://www.paypal.eu/returns/

Looks like an enticement for buyers who are leery of eBay sellers that hassle sellers about returns. That is a big issue, sellers not taking any leadership on returns.

The link listed is for the EU. These are some of the conditions:

The PayPal Refunded Returns service is only valid for returns made by the Czech, Finnish, Greek, Hungarian, Romanian, Slovak, Bulgarian, Lithuanian, Slovenian, Croatian, Latvian, Estonian, Cypriot, Maltese or Portuguese post regular mail, courier, or any other regular shipping options or services and for users holding a Czech, Finnish, Greek, Hungarian, Romanian, Slovak, Bulgarian, Lithuanian, Slovenian, Croatian, Latvian, Estonian, Cypriot, Maltese or Portuguese PayPal account that is not suspended or limited.

Does anyone have a link for this for paypal.com?

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

if return shipping didn't come out of pocket then taking returns should be no problem for sellers. I have only had an issue once in over 1200 transactions. I think as a buyer on ebay as well this made me feel good although I have never once returned an item I have purchased from an ebay seller. So we will so how this goes I guess..
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

it may also entice new buyers to ebay to open a paypal account knowing their purchases are fully covered
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Plus, if a seller knows the return cost is not coming out of their pocket, perhaps they will be a tad more customer friendly?

Perhaps, but the seller won't know that unless the customer mentions that they are in the program.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

"Looks like an enticement for buyers who are leery of eBay sellers that hassle sellers about returns."

I think many changes we see currently have to do with the split of eBay and PayPal coming in the next few months.

http://qz.com/392515/in-its-breakup-with-ebay-paypal-is-coming-out-on-top/

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@mytoysgottago wrote:

hey all,

so is it kinda 50/50 as far as a good thing for sellers or am i missing something here?

I can see how this is a good thing for sellers ............. 

I'm not sure this how this benefits eBay buyers unless also buying elsewhere.  (If buying elsewhere and paying via PayPal then that's another story.)

EBay buyers already have this arrangement via eBay so why opt in unless it's as an act of generosity/kindness  to sellers?

Or .... like you:  I also have to wonder if I'm missing something?

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

@mytoysgottago wrote:

hey all,

I can see how this is a good thing for sellers ............. 

I'm not sure this how this benefits eBay buyers unless also buying elsewhere.  (If buying elsewhere and paying via PayPal then that's another story.)

EBay buyers already have this arrangement via eBay so why opt in unless it's as an act of generosity/kindness  to sellers?

Or .... like you:  I also have to wonder if I'm missing something?

I think it way too early to pass judgement as to this being a good or bad thing for sellers. Somebody is going to have to pay this bill and we know it isn't going to be the buyer ... 

I think the really interesting aspect of this is the outsourcing of Customer Service to Telus. Simply a brilliant move by PayPal, as it most likely removes them from the arbitration position between the the seller and the buyer. It's as if PayPal has come to the realization that both the seller and their buyer are both PayPal customers, and it should remain neutral in any dealings between the primary partners.

As for the benefit to the buyer, it seems obvious. What have they got to lose. It's an extra $30.00 (being the maximum payout per occurrence) insurance policy. 

If it is offered to me, I'll accept. 

And, unless there have been more changes to policy that I have missed, this is way more beneficial to the buyer than the current eBay policy that allows a seller to require that the buyer pay for return shipping, unless the item is SNAD. 

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"Looks like an enticement for buyers who are leery of eBay sellers that hassle sellers about returns."

I think many changes we see currently have to do with the split of eBay and PayPal coming in the next few months.

http://qz.com/392515/in-its-breakup-with-ebay-paypal-is-coming-out-on-top/

I think you are spot on here.

Although the article in your link is adamant that any affiliation of Amazon and Paypal will certainly not surface, I can't help but wonder if the temptation for both parties will not be too great to resist.

I mean think about the benefits to both.

Amazon deals eBay a vicious blow (removing customers from a major competitor) while gaining customers who would rather use PP (a very trusted online funding source).

And, PP gains a very significant source of income.

The plot thickens ...  . And, it always seems to look worse for eBay.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@drucecat wrote:

As for the benefit to the buyer, it seems obvious. What have they got to lose. It's an extra $30.00 (being the maximum payout per occurrence) insurance policy.

If it is offered to me, I'll accept.

My understanding is that paypal will pay up to $30 in return shipping fees and that they will do this up to 10 times/year.

I'm not sure what you mean by insurance.

For those buying on eBay only, there is no added benefit that I can see.

eBay buyers are already getting that service but sellers are paying for it.

Unless feeling very kindly towards the seller, why mess with that?

(Since these cases involve INADed items feelings of generosity are usually absent from the transaction.)

In fact, I'm very wary about accepting because I can't see where it would benefit me but I can see where it "might" harm me.

BTW:  I'm pretty sure anyone can accept the offer.  Just follow the link above.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

The Paypal offer is for ALL returns. eBay sellers only have to pay return shipping if the item is nad.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

The Paypal offer is for ALL returns. eBay sellers only have to pay return shipping if the item is nad.

Thank you for pointing that out PJ.  I am aware of that but others may not be.

For me that is a non-issue.

Since I (and most buyers) don't return items unless they are NADed it's a moot point.

If you buy on eBay only the question remains:  Do the cons of accepting the offer outweigh the pros?

Also:  Is is even possible to open a paypal case if you've bought on eBay? Or perhaps they are going to make changes to that process as well?

I'm not sure if it is if you've bought on .com or .ca  but I'm sure you know Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

I've also been assuming that once you've accepted the offer that you're tied into it.

I would want to know more before accepting.  

There are usually repercussions to these things.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

Since I (and most buyers) don't return items unless they are NADed it's a moot point.

It may be moot for you but I don't think that is true for all buyers.  As a seller, I've had had very few returns however, from what I've read, clothing sellers tend to have many buyer remorse returns. We also don't know how many buyers would have purchased an item if they knew they could return it at no charge even if it was as described.

If you buy on eBay only the question remains:  Do the cons of accepting the offer outweigh the pros?

What do you see as a con from a buyer's point of view?

Also:  Is is even possible to open a paypal case if you've bought on eBay? Or perhaps they are going to make changes to that process as well?

As far as I know it is still possible but that isn't a factor as you don't have to open a case to use the free return shipping.

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

I've also been assuming that once you've accepted the offer that you're tied into it.

I would want to know more before accepting.  

There are usually repercussions to these things.

I agree it is always good to know what you are getting into although I don't see how you could be tied into it the way that it is set up now. You either use it or you don't. Perhaps down the road there will be some sort of fee for the service but that isn't a factor now.

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

first thing I thought of was they were going to allow Paypal payments on Amazon...it is just a matter of time
Message 18 of 18
latest reply