Phishing scam

Be highly suspicious of an email claiming to come from ‘service’ at ‘eBay.ca’ and with the subject line ‘ChargeBack Resolution Required’. It came to the attention of my correct full name.

The message itself will claim it doesn’t ‘load properly’ so you have to ‘click on the message of the body to view it’.

Don’t do that. Delete and check your account(s) the regular way.

I have no open ChargeBacks anywhere to be found within my actual account(s); therefore I’m skeptical of this message. Obviously, if someone has in fact opened a chargeback, I’ll deal with it.

Taking this one directly to eBay staff for insight.

Be safe out there.
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Phishing scam

I doubt itI doubt itDon't do itDon't do it

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Phishing scam

If it was from eBay, it will be present in eBay Messages....

Always verify  email messages  from eBay  that show up in a seller's email account..

Verification means viewing eBay Messages.... to confirm the message was from eBay.

People are always looking to get a seller's information.... always be careful of ALL emails, whether they say eBay... or otherwise.

We as sellers on eBay  have many accounts that must be protected ... eBay, Paypal, bank accounts,  and also other accounts protected with passwords .

Passwords protect our accounts.... So... Why are people putting all passwords on a single location on the internet?   

How well protected is that password site?

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Phishing scam

charge back notices come from paypal , not ebay. there would be no record of it in your ebay messages.. a quick log in to your paypal account will show any pending issues requiring attention..

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Phishing scam

Yep golden rule is never trust an email.

Always go to the source (paypal or ebay here) and if there really is a problem it will be there.

The "phishers" are getting really good sometimes the emails are very convincing.......

Now if I could just get those very helpful people overseas that keep advising me that I have a windows problem they can help me with to quit calling*...

*My record is 3 callbacks from the same guy. I kept telling him that my computer was turned off and downstairs and that I would have to go all the way down there to turn it on etc (and I just set the phone down). Eventually he hung up, called back and I said that well I had already gone back downstairs and turned it off because he hung up so I would have to go back and do it all over again (and I just set the phone down again). Eventually he hung up and called back for the 3rd time and I advised that I didn't have time to keep playing the game, I knew it was a scam and to quit calling....

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Phishing scam

@momcqueen wrote:
Be highly suspicious of an email claiming to come from ‘service’ at ‘eBay.ca’ and with the subject line ‘ChargeBack Resolution Required’. It came to the attention of my correct full name.

The message itself will claim it doesn’t ‘load properly’ so you have to ‘click on the message of the body to view it’.

Don’t do that. Delete and check your account(s) the regular way.

I have no open ChargeBacks anywhere to be found within my actual account(s); therefore I’m skeptical of this message. Obviously, if someone has in fact opened a chargeback, I’ll deal with it.

Taking this one directly to eBay staff for insight.

Be safe out there.

Our same message came from PayPal.

Before deleting it, best is to forward the email message to

spoof@paypal.com

They will investigate.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Phishing scam

Once upon a time ago.... I got a telephone call....

She  wanted something,  Asked her to give me her address....  So that I could bill her $100 a minute  for the time she talked with me.

A few seconds later she hung up....

------------------------------------------

It was also like the day my mother got a call about her credit card ... After 5 minutes...  She let him know she did not have a credit card... Ooops!

----------------------------------------

No more telephone calls... just hocus-pocus emails.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Phishing scam

I'm wary of the ones from paypal, I've yet to fall for one.

This one struck me susceptible because it claims to originate at ebay.ca and who even knows there's an ebay Canada but those who use it? And it addressed me by my full name which ebay is supplied but I rarely use online. I knew it was fake because it was about a chargeback, cited by email address instead of my name, and tried to urge me to click something to load it.

It did, however, have just enough things right that it makes me feel like I was specifically targeted by someone with whom I've recently done business, just to see if I'd bite.

The dumb ones that come from Apple saying 'click here if you did not buy this' don't fool me. Those don't feel targeted, they feel very random as I'm not even a regular App Store buyer.

This one felt personal. 

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Phishing scam

Although the ones I've gotten from paypal over the years have never tried using 'chargeback' as lure. Yours did, @gwrocen?

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Phishing scam

@momcqueen wrote:

Although the ones I've gotten from paypal over the years have never tried using 'chargeback' as lure. Yours did, @gwrocen?

Ours had the exact same brief message, including the numbers,

and "message not displaying, click here"

as the one you show in your screenshot.

Also used my full name.

We weren't aware of any chargebacks to our account

either current or that could have been outstanding

so after checking our PayPal account for any details

we just forwarded the message to spoof@paypal.com

for them to investigate.

Thanks.

@momcqueen

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Phishing scam

Now that is interesting.
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Phishing scam

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Phishing scam

Hi all! Definitely looks like a scam to me. Things like the copy being slightly 'off' are often dead give-aways.

@momcqueen did the smart thing by checking directly on the site instead of following any links in the email. And if you ever receive an email you're not sure about, forward it to spoof@ebay.com for the Fraud Team to take a look at.

Here's more about recognizing and reporting spoof/fake emails.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Phishing scam

One should also be careful that

.....proper eBay or Paypal messages, or any other proper email messages ....

that arrive in one's email messages option  are ...not .... placed in a Junk e-Mail folder.

There is junk... and there is treasure

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Phishing scam

When I get "wacky" phone calls I tell them that they have reached the order desk at West Nissouri Stamps, and ask for their credit card to start the order taking. They disappear quickly. During the recent Ontario election I had Fiberal, NDP & Tory callers apologize saying that they did not realize it was a business phone and that they would remove the number from their data base.
Message 15 of 15
latest reply