Pick Up Option in Postage

Can you only use Pick Up as an available option when you choose Flat Rate Shipping? It's not available  when I choose Calculated Shipping. Or is this a new glitch connected to the calculator problems?

-CM

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

That's right.

For some reason.

Since Pickup is usually offered on bulky, hard to ship items.

There is NO shipping in Pickup.

You and your customer agree to meet somewhere- your driveway, Tim Hortons, a dive bar just before midnight- and exchange cash for product.

Under Domestic Shipping-> Offer Local Pickup.

Enter $0.00 to activate. (Or more but that would be a turnoff).

And a reminder-- pickup is CASH, never Paypal.

PP use is a Buyer Protection against fraud. On Pickup the customer can inspect the item before paying , which is also Buyer Protection.

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Is this a system change made recently. I 'm pretty sure I have offered local pickup for smaller items in the past. And heaven forbid you make any contact with a customer to arrange pick up locally PRIOR to a purchase being completed. Believe that's when the BOTS go crazy!!

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

You might be looking in the wrong places. I offer local pickup on virtually all my listings. With calculated shipping. It's called Cash on Pickup and is offered in a second place as a payment option. You have to revise your Sell Item Form default setting to show this though. 

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

Can you show a screenshot?

Most of what I added was for the benefit of new sellers who might not be aware of the pitfalls of Paypal for pickup.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

Um, yes. Give me a moment..... Please stand by....

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

Under PaymentsUnder PaymentsUnder ShippingUnder Shipping

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

If memory serves, there is yet another place where you can see a reference to Local Pickup that allows a seller to accept paypal for payments that can be picked up in person, but I cannot seem to find it tonight. It was someplace where you had to set preferences to see it in your Sell form, and I deselected it so that it wouldn't clutter the page since I don't use that feature anyway. I can't remember where it is, perhaps another user will be able to accommodate a screenshot for that one. 

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

Oh! The ‘pitfalls of Paypal for pickup’. I missed that part earlier.

There are no pitfalls to PayPal for Local Pickup now, if you do it right. I do quite a bit Local Pickup and when I started, I was very twitchy about accepting Cash Only for Local Pickup as a seller had no protection from disputes filed as Items Not Received without tracking. And obviously a Local Pickup has no tracking associated with it so you’d automatically lose your money and your item if a case was opened.

But then about two years ago, PayPal changed their user agreement so that buyers can’t claim an INR on Local Pickup. I called to confirm and clarify: the seller must ensure the invoice paid says Local Pickup and then they’re automatically protected against claims on INR. (Nothing, of course, protects you against a Not As Described. Other than selling only items that fit your description.)

PayPal for Local Pickup is not the hazard area it once was. After the User Agreement changed, it became a feasible option. I do still tend to prefer cash for pickups, however, since they are inconvenient and I like compensation for that in the form of cash in hand. Plus, it’s fair. The buyer saves on shipping so I can save on PayPal fees.
Message 9 of 27
latest reply

The thing to remember is that when a seller Sends Invoice to choose Local Pickup from the drop down menu of shipping options. Or in the Sales Record. But it must be setup like that to show it was the service for which the buyer paid.
Message 10 of 27
latest reply

“And heaven forbid you make any contact with a customer to arrange pick up locally PRIOR to a purchase being completed. Believe that's when the BOTS go crazy!!”

Also, that. You need to be very careful here. You sent me a message to my seller ID outside Community and That Warning flashed against it when I merely tried to reply. If your account has been red-flagged for hinky tricks, eBay will be relentless on you. I don’t know what you’ve done to draw attention to yourself, but I’ve never seen that message before. Tread carefully.
Message 11 of 27
latest reply

Once you’re on the radar, even if everything you do is 100 per cent on the level, eBay will watch you like you’ve a KILK sandwich in your hand and they’re a stray dog. The moment you slip, they’ll be waiting. Ever see the movie Paddington? You’re the marmalade sandwich and they are the pigeons.

I’m out of analogies.
Message 12 of 27
latest reply

I think there is a bug in the listing process. If I select shipping as local pickup only and add Payment upon pickup I can not list without selecting that I will select Paypal.

What happens if a buyer purchases and then pays by Paypal. I don't want them to have that option.

Or if I unselect immediate payment does the buyer then have to wait for a invoice and can't Paypal me?

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

@bpl521_sellwrote:

I think there is a bug in the listing process. If I select shipping as local pickup only and add Payment upon pickup I can not list without selecting that I will select Paypal.

What happens if a buyer purchases and then pays by Paypal. I don't want them to have that option.

Or if I unselect immediate payment does the buyer then have to wait for a invoice and can't Paypal me?

Not really a bug -- just an eBay annoyance.

All immediate payment does is require a payment before the item is sold.  It needs to be turned off for a Local Pickup cash payment to work.

With immediate payment turned off, the buyer can still buy and then pay, they do not need to wait for an invoice. Or they can buy and pay when picking up.

You can refund any paypal payment and ask the buyer to pay cash when picking up. PayPal does have procedures in place to deal with local pickup (but it is nicer to skip the 2.9% charge).

-..-

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

@ypdc_denniswrote:

You can refund any paypal payment and ask the buyer to pay cash when picking up. PayPal does have procedures in place to deal with local pickup (but it is nicer to skip the 2.9% charge).

-..-

I thought Paypal on pickup was a no-no for a seller, the buyer can claim they never received the item, or has PayPal modified their terms?

Message 15 of 27
latest reply

Those terms were modified a few years ago.

As long as the invoice states clearly the buyer paid for Local Pickup, buyer protection for Item(s) Not Received do not apply. I spoke to paypal about this myself. 

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

I still do, however, strongly encourage my Local Pickups to pay cash. If they want to save on shipping, I want to save on Paypal fees and, honestly, Local Pickups take more work than packing an order for shipment. 

But that's a preference on my part. Accepting paypal is totally fine as long as I do this when I Send Invoice:

Screen Shot 2018-03-31 at 9.32.29 PM.png

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

@momcqueenwrote:

I still do, however, strongly encourage my Local Pickups to pay cash. If they want to save on shipping, I want to save on Paypal fees and, honestly, Local Pickups take more work than packing an order for shipment. 

But that's a preference on my part. Accepting paypal is totally fine as long as I do this when I Send Invoice:

Screen Shot 2018-03-31 at 9.32.29 PM.png

Good to know, yes cash on the barrel is best, but at least it's not a hassle of returning PayPal fees if someone pays in advance. Good thing about that is they are committed in showing up. Local pick up is a pain, ie Kijiji or Craig's list. Oh the horror stories I could tell.

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

Appreciated the thread is a bit dated, but if buyer commits to item on Ebay for local pick up only, shows up and changes his/her mind and doesn't complete the transaction i.e. doesn't pay what are my options to protect myself?. Do I file a non- payment received?.
Message 19 of 27
latest reply

Yes. Open an Unpaid like any other.

I’ve had to do this. It feels more uncomfortable than a regular Unpaid Item reminder process because you might live close.

Assuming, of course, the buyer ghosted. If they properly asked to Cancel in a civil manner, just send them the cancellation they’ve asked you to do.
Message 20 of 27
latest reply