Return Shipping from another country?

I recently had someone request a return for "item not as described". I don't agree with them, but I've accepted the return because I don't want to hurt my eBay stats.

I am still fairly new to selling on eBay, and have not had to do a single return so far, so I am not familiar with how they work. I initially contacted eBay support because I wasn't given an option for return shipping, only to upload a label, and there was also an FAQ section that said the buyer was responsible for return shipping.

The support agent I spoke to confirmed this (incorrectly..) and told me my part was done, I just had to wait for the buyer to send the item back.

A few days later, a "deadline" by which I apparently was supposed to provide shipping, passed, and the buyer reached out. I told them what eBay told me, and they asked eBay to step in. 

I chatted support again, and they told me I needed to provide a label, and the case was on hold to gove me more time. 

I went to try and by a label, but there was no option to do so, and the return itself says closed.

So... I chatted support AGAIN. 

Now they tell me I need to buy a label outside of eBay and send it to the customer. 

I've looked into how to do this and can't figure it out. I'm in Canada, the buyer is in the US. I used canada post to ship the item, but it won't let me input a US address as the sender. eBay support is closed due to the holidays so I can't contact them. 

All the back and forth with eBay support has been so frustrating, and I also received sass from the buyer, and I just want it to be over but don't know what to do.

Help?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Return Shipping from another country?

byto253
Community Member

If your buyer is in the US, you can use Shippo to get a label.  eBay does not provide for you to generate a label. In the eBay info it provides an option fo you to pay up front for the buyer to purchase a label.  I have had this situation, where I could not get a label so I informed the buyer of this, and indicated that I would send funds up front by paypal for them to purchase a label for the return.  If you don't have the original dimensions and weight of your item, you can check with the buyer - you should do this even if you can buy a label as folks do interesting things sometimes.

In may case the buyer insisted on a label but I kept repeating in eBay messages that it was not possible and that I would pay up front for the shipping instead.  I also called eBay and they agreed that was the case and what I did was valid.   The bots ended up refunding they buyer without return shipping, but when I called eBay they agreed that that should not have happened and eBay reimbursed me.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Note that the phone reps do not work for eBay but for a subcontractor  in Utah and have little authority.

I notice you said "chat" so I hope you were corresponding with actual employees covering eBay's social media accounts, who are trained and can speak with authority.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I was using the chat feature by going to help & support > contact us > chat with us

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Suggest the Facebook link @reallynicestamps posted.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

The Facebook link often provides better customer service but at this point you  need to provide a shipping label or send the money for one through Paypal. If you do a label through Shippo you can save it and then send it to the buyer via the dispute.  

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@byto253 

I haven't done this through Shippo for a couple of years. If it's still the same an important fact to tell the buyer is the return label must be used within 3 days. I think it's 7 days for a USPS domestic US label from Shippo but only 3 days before the expiry of a shippo USPS international label. If they wait 4 days the label is invalid. 

Please correct me if things have changed!

Thanks!

Happy Holidays!

Message 7 of 7
latest reply