Returned item needs more postage, need some advice please.

Just had an envelope returned to me from Can Post with a sticker on it saying it had to be mailed small packet instead of lettermail. I just mailed it on Friday. They didn't cancel the postage label so wondering if I can just pay the difference at the post office again and remail it in the same envelope. Its going out of the country so I will also have to do one of those QR thingies for customs info. Anyone know?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

byto253
Community Member
Yes and yes. You can pay for the difference at the post office and you need a customs form. You can fill in the form online and print it out, or fill it in at the post office. Bringing it with you will make it quicker at the post office.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thanks. Just returned from the post office and paid the difference and my postmistress scanned the QR code for the customs info. Cost me $1.69 for the difference to mail Small Pkt. Air. Now let's hope it makes the next plane over the pond.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I'm curious. Did they say that it needed small packet because of one of the dimensions? Or was it because they thought it contained merchandise? Or...?

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 

Paper sewing pattern. I should have sent it small Pkt Air but I was in a hurry that day. I guess the PO saw that I had written the VAT info on the envelope and so it couldn't go lettermail.🤭

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Excellent, and so happy to see Small Packet Air!  Surface is iffy at the best of non-covid times.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I bet you're right and it was the VAT number that tipped them off! Thanks.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

33nhl
Community Member

I never use ebay print outs nor do i write any VAT numbers on packages and i use strong but thin cardboard to send  card or cards in bubble mailer and it fits through with no force of the 2 slots template they have at every post office outlet as regular mail or oversized regular mail

Message 8 of 8
latest reply