SHIPPING RATES

Hello.  I am located in Canada.  I do not find setting up shipping rates for international destinations to be simplistic.  I have had inquiries from New Zealand for items  and can not get my shipping table to include this country.  All I get is the response that they should contact the seller for shipping details.  Why is New Zealand excluded, when I am able to get rates automatically for virtually the rest of the world?  Thank you.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: SHIPPING RATES

marnotom!
Community Member

I don't know what the item in question is, but I'm looking at your listing for the Nova Scotia three pence stamp and it shows that you ship to "Americas,  Asia, France, and the United Kingdom."  New Zealand wouldn't be covered in any of those geographical regions.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

@gypseyrobert wrote:

Hello.  I am located in Canada.  I do not find setting up shipping rates for international destinations to be simplistic.  I have had inquiries from New Zealand for items  and can not get my shipping table to include this country.  All I get is the response that they should contact the seller for shipping details.  Why is New Zealand excluded, when I am able to get rates automatically for virtually the rest of the world?  Thank you.

Check your business policies for shipping.  Usually this sort of thing is caused by incorrectly setting either of the things circled in red.  You need to have a shipping service selected for the country in question in order for the buyer to get a shipping cost to show, and you need to not have their country excluded in order for them to buy from you.

Screenshot 2024-03-12 131634.jpg

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

hmm.. I looked at your Australian wildlife listing which as worldwide shipping specified. I checked  quite a few countries and they a shipping service and cost specified.  New Zealand is on the shipping list but as you said it does not show a cost or service.  Right now I really have no idea of why that is but if I were you, I would change the service from letterpost to the generic economy international shipping to see if that makes a difference.

I normally recommend that a seller use economy int'l shipping option in their listing for overseas as it usually gives a longer estimated delivery time than letterpost.  Sometimes ebay's estimated delivery times are too soon for letterpost.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Basically the problem is that NZ has a population smaller than Toronto.  (5.123 million vs 5.928 million)

Do you have shipping to Australia priced in your listings?  Australia sometimes means Australasia, which must drive Kiwis nuts.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

pmacd
Community Member

Before listing an item, take your package to the Post Office.  Have them measure and weigh it for you.  Then you can input the measurements and weight into the Canada Post website and get an accurate postal quote for any serviced destination.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

As an aside, and a pet peeve, why do people Block St Pierre et Miquelon?
It's a departemente of France and located off the coast of Newfoundland.

I sorta understand Americans, who think Hawaii is a small town in Kenya, but Canadians?

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I can't say I've noticed this.  Do these sellers block or exclude any other international locations?  Are they shipping by mail or other carriers?

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

It's a departemente of France and located off the coast of Newfoundland.

I sorta understand Americans, who think Hawaii is a small town in Kenya, but Canadians?

I also never understood, why people block Liechtenstein, one of the richest (per capita) countries in the world.  I might suppose they have no idea what it's and where it's located after all 😄

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Basically the problem is that NZ has a population smaller than Toronto.  (5.123 million vs 5.928 million)

Do you have shipping to Australia priced in your listings?  Australia sometimes means Australasia, which must drive Kiwis nuts.

Not really population related. New Zealand  has always been an oddball on eBay, there is a .nz eBay site but it's only a home page, the rest of the "NZ site" is just .com.

@gypseyrobert 

In any event, I think NZ is buried in Oceania, that is the area you need to use to specify shipping.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@38e_avenue wrote:

I also never understood, why people block Liechtenstein, one of the richest (per capita) countries in the world.  I might suppose they have no idea what it's and where it's located after all 😄

That might be my doing.  Many, many years ago when the .com discussion boards had a board devoted to international selling and shipping, on one of the many threads about using buyer requirements to block potential buyers I jokingly mentioned Vatican City and Liechtenstein in the discussion as examples.  I think some people didn't realize I was being tongue in cheek and I noticed those locations starting to pop up in sellers' exclusion lists.  Sellers looking into selling internationally probably looked at what other sellers were doing without referencing the thread and just followed suit.  Sorry, Pope Francis and Prince Hans-Adam!

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@recped wrote:

@gypseyrobert 

In any event, I think NZ is buried in Oceania, that is the area you need to use to specify shipping.

If you look at @flipistics' screen shots, you'll see that the selling form no longer has Oceania on it as a shipping location.  It appears to have been replaced with "Australia," just as "Americas" is now "N. and S. America."

Weirdly enough, Oceania does appear as an area sellers can put on their exclusion list, though, either as an entire region or to be broken down by individual countries within that region.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Oceania has never been a choice  on the ship to list as far as I know.  But if Oceania isnt excluded NZ won't be excluded.   Actually in the op's case it isnt excluded it just is not carrying over the shipping cost on the listing and I'm not sure why.  If the listing is an auction a NZ buyer should still be able to bed and then get an invoice at the end.  Technically that should happen with a fixed price too listing but with ebays forced immediate payment (on some listings) it may not be possible.

eBay has always been backwards with the ship to countries.  They allow you to exclude any specific countries but don't limit the options when you want to specify shipping to particular country.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Oceania has never been a choice  on the ship to list as far as I know.  But if Oceania isnt excluded NZ won't be excluded.   Actually in the op's case it isnt excluded it just is not carrying over the shipping cost on the listing and I'm not sure why.  If the listing is an auction a NZ buyer should still be able to bed and then get an invoice at the end.  Technically that should happen with a fixed price too listing but with ebays forced immediate payment (on some listings) it may not be possible.

eBay has always been backwards with the ship to countries.  They allow you to exclude any specific countries but don't limit the options when you want to specify shipping to particular country.

Oceana is covered in the seller settings with NZ included

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1710717639805.png

Problem being the included groupings we see when creating a listing don't mirror what is shows in settings. As I recall they did prior to the latest (current) version of the listing tool. At least on a PC. No idea what is included with App.

-Lotz

As a side unless you are fully aware or check you are able to add services for countries even when they are not available from CP. Ebay just hides them when buyer looks so they ONLY see actual services. Example: Intl Priority is not available to everywhere. Same goes for Tracked

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@gypseyrobert
The best way of specifying shipping to a specific country is to use the list of EXCLUDED countries to INCLUDE New Zealand.

Sounds like a bizarre concept I know, but I swear this is how ebay style shipping works.

Here's how this works in practice.

1. First, choose a service suitable for USA customers, then choose a destination (country) where you want the service applied to, in this example choose United States from the supplied list of destinations.

2. Next, choose a service that is suitable for New Zealand. A generic service such as Economy International works well. Next associate a destination(s) with the service, choose WORLDWIDE.

3. Next up is the INCLUSION by EXCLUSION bit. Provided you wanted to ship only to the United States and New Zealand you would use the Exclusions list to exclude all destinations other than the United States and New Zealand. That's it you're done.

To summarize, setup shipping worldwide, but limit the definition of worldwide by means of the Exclusion list.

This method is fairly straightforward if you're able to use flat rate. Calculated shipping is more complex.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

Shipping Tables are not required to setup shipping to New Zealand.
Message 16 of 16
latest reply