Shopping cart in store?

Hello, this is my first post, I beg patience if I don’t word this exactly right. I used to have a store, years ago, but have recently opened another to help a family member liquidate her mother in law’s estate. Anyway, I have had two US buyers buy multiple items but cannot put them in a cart, then ask me for the combined shipping. Since my store has various item types I cannot set a ore-determined price for multiple purchases, each combination must be weighed for postage. They both said ebay wanted payment for each item with full shipping for each item. For the first buyer I put the 3 items in one box and marked the other two as shipped, but I know that was wrong, but figured it was a one off...never to happen again. Well, it has happened again and my customer is waiting for me to help him when I cannot help myself lol. The only help I can find from ebay is by phone! I am sick and have no voice, I looked and looked for an email address for support, but gave up. So I looked here, and found only old posts ( unless I searched wrongly), or no clear answers. Can someone please tell me how to get combined shipping in my store? ( ps: I do not have immediate payment required).

thank you so much for your time.

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Shopping cart in store?

@playfarmers 

tyler@ebay 

Has the option for a customer to request a revised invoice been removed from choices? The last time I went to make a purchase, I wasn't seeing at my end.

-Lotz

Message 2 of 33
latest reply

This has been an ongoing problem for me as well. Some buyers can do the request for combined invoice, some cannot. I have yet to determine which is which.

If a buyer cannot do the combined invoice request, I usually suggest they make individual purchases, then wait for a manual Paypal refund for the overpayment. Some buyers agree, some do not.

Of course, Ebay gets a nice bump on the several shipping FVF's, which they do not refund back to you. 

Message 3 of 33
latest reply

And PayPal charges for refunds.

Message 4 of 33
latest reply

If any items in the cart are on sale, require immediate payment or have free shipping, the request total button will be grayed out.

Most cs reps will give you credit on refunded shipping charges if you phone in.

Message 5 of 33
latest reply

First make sure that you have combined payments and shipping enabled.  Go to account—site preferences—shipping preferences.   If that is turned on   and you don’t have any sales etc on those items your buyers should be able to click on the request total button on the top right corner of the cart.

You can set up combined shipping rules in that same area and just apply them to specific items.  For example, you could have specific rules just for the items you send via lettermail.

If you do a partial or full refund through PayPal they do refund the percentage portion of your fees.  They do NOT refund the .30 transaction fee and they do not charge anything extra when you do a refund.

Message 6 of 33
latest reply

@renata6 wrote:

... If a buyer cannot do the combined invoice request, I usually suggest they make individual purchases, then wait for a manual Paypal refund for the overpayment. ...

I ask the Buyer for a list of the items they want, and then give them a price quote. If they accept I create a new ebay listing customized for them with a summary of the email discussion.

Last one I did (combining 11 listings) I put the Buyers name as part of the description, with a $120 BIN with Best Offer, free shipping in Canada and $55 to their country. Gave them the link to the special listing with instructions to make a best offer of $90 to complete the deal.

The make-an-offer is an extra step I used to make sure that Buyer gets the deal, but if someone else buys instead, the price difference covers any extra cost of shipping to a different location (and allows use of free shipping in Canada to save FVF on international shipping).

-..-

Message 7 of 33
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@playfarmers 

tyler@ebay 

Has the option for a customer to request a revised invoice been removed from choices? The last time I went to make a purchase, I wasn't seeing at my end.

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - no, the option to request a total has not been removed as an option.

There are certain situations when a buyer is not able to request a total:

• The seller has set up a discount profile.
  • The items are on sale.
  • The seller doesn't accept combined payments.
  • The item has immediate payment required.
  • There is only one item in the cart.
  • The item(s) already have free shipping.

@playfarmers - do any of the above conditions apply to the items your buyer purchased?

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 33
latest reply

Paypal does not charge for refunds to Canadian sellers.

Paypal does have a non-refundable 30 cent charge on transactions.

So a Canadian seller who refunds five domestic transactions at $10 each paid as one transaction (shopping cart) would lose 30 cents.

An American seller in the same situation would pay $1.75 in PP fees.

If the ten transactions were paid separately, the Canadian seller would pay $3.00 in PP fees and the American $4.45.

If I am wrong, please correct me.

Message 9 of 33
latest reply

@playfarmers 

tyler@ebay 

Is best offer considered the same as Sale? The option to request a revised invoice needs to be available. There are numerous situations where it would make life simpler for both sellers and buyers.

Regarding 1 item, the last personal situation I had like that the seller was not aware they could use letter vs expedited. Was a long song and dance to send a new invoice. And was where the seller was getting that reported error message.

-Lotz

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies  - there are no plans to alter the way the request total feature works at this point in time. 

An accepted Best Offer is considered a commitment to buy, but I don't believe it would count as being in a sale (like a markdown manager type sale). If you have a buyer with two accepted Best Offers, and they've put them in their cart and are unable to request total please consider contacting CS to share that example so they can report it for review. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 11 of 33
latest reply

No, none apply. My buyer’s say that when they bought the first item it required immediate payment, even though I specified in setting that immediate payment is not required. They say there is no cart or option to keep buying without paying the full shipping on each.

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

Hmm @playfarmers - I definitely recommend contacting CS about this then so they can review the specifics involved. 

If you're not able to phone, you can contact via social media (Facebook or Twitter). 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 33
latest reply

I constantly have problems with this, I checked again and yes, I have checked off combined shipping. I think 3 out of 4 are unable to combine shipping. Some tell me that they get a message "this buyer does not combine shipping", other say that they have to pay for each item before purchasing the next. I usually end up doing a special listing for the buyer with the correct shipping. I wish I didn't have to do that every time, I used to always get a request for combined shipping.

Message 14 of 33
latest reply

None of those options apply to me.

Message 15 of 33
latest reply

I have had problems with combined shipping for years. I have everything set up properly on my end.  I have it set up to add an extra dollar for each extra item. Some people have no problem adding to the cart & having it calculate properly.  Other people have problems with it & cannot request a total from me.  Some say the same thing you mentioned that "this buyer does not combine shipping" or that they have to pay for each item seperately.  I then have to either refund them the difference for shipping through PayPal or change the listings that they are interested in.  Very frustrating for the buyer & seller.  I believe this is an ongoing glitch that eBay has never fixed properly.

Message 16 of 33
latest reply

@playfarmers wrote:

No, none apply. My buyer’s say that when they bought the first item it required immediate payment, even though I specified in setting that immediate payment is not required. They say there is no cart or option to keep buying without paying the full shipping on each.

EBay has announced a few years ago that they would force immediate payment for listings under $1000 when the cart was not used.  This doesn’t seem to apply on all sites and all listings but may be the problem in your case. However, there is always an add to cart option on the listing on both .com and .ca so they should be able to add items to the cart.  It’s possible they are just not seeing the request total on the cart or that it is being grayed out (not clickable) for some reason.  

Message 17 of 33
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@playfarmers wrote:

EBay has announced a few years ago that they would force immediate payment for listings under $1000 when the cart was not used.  This doesn’t seem to apply on all sites and all listings but may be the problem in your case. However, there is always an add to cart option on the listing on both .com and .ca so they should be able to add items to the cart.  It’s possible they are just not seeing the request total on the cart or that it is being grayed out (not clickable) for some reason.  

I am not sure, when a buyer asks if I will do combined shipping, I always tell them to put the items in their cart, I will tell them in future to look for the add to cart option.

This still doesn't explain why some buyers get a message that this seller doesn't combine shipping. I must have phoned eBay half a dozen times about this, in most of those the rep has gone to my setting, removed the option and then put it back, saying it should work now - it doesn't.

Message 18 of 33
latest reply

Also as mentioned in other threads, you can't request total from eBay App or Mobile, you have to be be on a PC or in Android use the "View Desktop Version" to be able to request.

Message 19 of 33
latest reply

@retroman_studios 

Thanks. I forgot about that for App/Mobile purchases. Another reason a buyer may request a revised invoice is if a shipping option was not included. Example: Xpresspost. I don't routinely include with all listings but I've had it requested after purchase on several occasions. Makes it very difficult in these types of situations.

-Lotz

Message 20 of 33
latest reply