Store supplies coupon - Taxes on free item?

I'm subscribed to a basic store and i received for my first time the supplies coupon of $35

I tried to apply it and the system discount only the item price, and basically charge me taxes on a $0.00 item

Capture d’écran 2022-10-03 194631.png

Is this something normal and how this makes any sense

Also there is almost nothing on this store and especially under $35. If we need to pay for taxes too, at the end they incitate us to pay for things we don't necessarily need. It's really just a poisonous fake gift return of fees we pay

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Store supplies coupon - Taxes on free item?

My understanding is that it is indeed correct. I believe coupons (according to tax law) are essentially treated as store credit. They don't reduce the individual prices of the items. The only way to reduce the tax is to reduce the individual prices prior to them being sold (such as a sale). Since everything is priced differently in the shipping supplies store, it would be more complicated for many people to understand if eBay tried to do that.

If you have a tax number though, you can get the tax back as an input tax credit.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

So i decided to buy anyway. And now i keep having the error when checkout:

Something went wrong. Please try to check out again

I contacted support and they openned a ticket for me (in other terms they have no idea)

Tried a different browser, buying on smartphone, nothing works. Very frustrating. Their coupon don't work  

Anyone else experience something similar, or know a fix?

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Am also dealing with the error. Every time I try and checkout with the coupon. I accidentally checked out with the envelopes I wanted without applying the coupon and it magically worked... when I was paying full price, shocker (I submitted a cancellation cause I want to use my coupon). There is clearly an error with the codes and the checkout. It's ebay... I'm sadly not surprised it isn't working. (TBF this has been the first time I have had an error with these codes)

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Having the same error...

Capturecdf.JPG

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Thanks for the reminder on the coupon and yes, sadly it is true that you pay sales tax on free items - I notice that same thing when I redeem Optinum Points at Shoppers, even if the total is zero you still have to pay up for the tax!

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Are you sure you are filling in ALL the lines on the coupon purchase page?

I used mine a couple of days ago and nearly missed the last one, where I had to paste in the number from the email although the number was already in a text box slightly higher.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

The coupon is entered it does not work either if i check the box or if i re enter the code

Contacted support 2 days ago, they told me they openned a ticket and that they would contact me within 24-48h. Then nothing. Very frustrating

Would it be possible to try to use the code of the coupon on a different account? Or it must be used on the account subscribed to a store

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

We all do .... 

Image6.jpg

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Ok guys, listen up, the coupon will ONLY work if you use a credit card .. ebay wont accept PAAYPAL !!!   Weird right?

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

I've used PP with that coupon more than once.  It worked for me in September.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Indeed we should be able to use paypal. I did read tho that changing payment method fix the issue, but i do not have a credit card

Contacted support and they openned an issue ticket 3-days ago saying they would give me a follow up within 24-48h, never had a reply from this. I just contacted again. They told me the same thing basically... They would report the issue, and told me to retry in 24h. Always the same thing with technical issues on eBay, they have no idea so just try to gain time. I have no faith of seeing this issue fixed. I wonder if its not fixed if i could ask for any compensation? That's $35 i should have like everyone else with a store subscription, that i don't 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

You have 3 months to use the coupon, if it's not working at the moment try again in a couple of weeks.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 13 of 13
latest reply