Tangerine does not accept Pre-Authorized Debit (Direct Debit) from eBay

Since ebay surprisingly dropped paypal for pay outs, I am forced to add a checking account. Which of course my bank Tangerine is not supported by ebay. I tried 2 chats, they suggested I called my bank to enable Direct Debit. My bank explained that they do not support Pre-Authorized Debit (Direct Debit) from Ebay. This is so rediculous, there will be so many people that are caught by this. eBay has my money and I can't even touch it now. And to open a new checking account would mean getting monthly fees which my Tangerine bank does not do.  I also tried Koho but same thing it's not an accepted bank. Does eBay accept any Canadian digital financial bank at this time?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I've been using Simplii (CIBC) which seems to work okay.

The phone clerks are not eBay employees. They work for a sub-contractor in Utah and are often unclear about concepts like "Canada is a sovereign nation".

The Chat people are much better trained, but be very clear that you are dealing with a Canadian bank which will not be on their US-based list.

However, this is a question that has been raised before.

devon@ebay 

And more nagging for you.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I use Simplii, works perfectly, I'm on weekly payouts (Tuesday) for two selling accounts, Payouts done Tuesday morning are in the account by 6:00pm the same day without fail (over two years, never late).

eBay has dipped into my account twice when my eBay balance has gone to zero and I've needed to do a small refund, eBay had no issues debiting the account.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

The problem with Tangerine is very confusing considering some of us have been using it with MP for the last year.  I wonder if the problem is that Tangerine does not want any new ebay users for some reason?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Thank you for your suggestions I will try Simplii and let you know how it goes.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@ladybug_di

"Since ebay surprisingly dropped paypal for pay outs," ... ????

eBay gave advance warning, provided an announcement so how does that make it a "surprise"?

eBay specifically announced that a "chequing account" would be required...

There is NO requirement to have a "Canadian digital financial bank" ...THAT is your choice.

Many of us simply opened a designated chequing account at a bank, that is separate from any personal banking...and nothing difficult about that...

There is a multitude of choices... none of which is all that difficult, unless one makes it difficult...

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Unfortunately it looks like due to my bankruptcy I can't get Simplii... this is too bad. At least I can remove it from my record soon but I don't like the idea of making a whole new account just for ebay. I'm a casual seller, not a business. Is ebay expecting every average person to make a completely seperate account for this? It increases the barrier to entry. Been using ebay for 14 years. It's sad.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@ladybug_di wrote:

I don't like the idea of making a whole new account just for ebay.

There is no need to have a seperate bank account just for eBay! It simplifies accounting for those who are running a business and don't want to mix business with personal.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I have been using Tangerine with no issues.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply