What happens if you know an ebay buyer died?

I hadn't heard from one of my best customers in quite a while (about 8 months).  I know he was not very well, had Parkinson's among other things.  I googled him and came across his obituary.  Does his account go dormant or should I mention it to someone?

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

This all sounds like something eBay should have some sort of policy to address  this type of situation. It's very likely happened in the past and will happen in the future. How was it handled? What could a loved one do. It could be a sudden death? A car accident? Very sad but events like that happen. To not have a reasonable specific policy would be short sighted. In doing a quick search only topic that came up close was Seller is no longer registered on eBay which isn't even comparable and definitely a situation an EBay CS should be knowledgeable and aware of. Something for the Wednesday forum for Tyler to check into.

-CM

Message 21 of 30
latest reply

Yes. But think of the trouble a spiteful competitor could cause by calling eBay and declaring one of us dead. Wishful thinking on their part, perhaps, but it doesn’t make it so. And then eBay shuts us down without warning? Maybe I’m on holiday and not dead. There needs to be a process with checks and balances. I’m interested to know how it’s handled now.
Message 22 of 30
latest reply

@blackranda2 wrote:

A neighbor who was helping the very ill husband of the seller said she thought the store had been closed and was surprised that it wasn't. So once the member who purchased the items knew this she called eBay to tell them the seller had died. She asked them if they could do anything. Even a little thing like putting a note on her store front. But no help at all. 

This is why I said some time ago in this discussion that we sellers need to take steps (in advance) to protect our next-of-kin from having to fight battles with eBay and possibly lose all the value of a store owner's hard work over years of building a reputation on eBay.  We shouldn't expect eBay to manage the situation -- they likely have thousands of such scenarios happening every year, and they don't have a dedicated staff to deal with them all.  

As I said earlier, I think it's critical for every seller (especially a longtime and/or store owner) to leave instructions with a trusted relative or friend on exactly what to do with the eBay business in the event of the death or serious illness of the owner. 

Not only should the "proxy" know passwords, but if they aren't an eBay seller themselves should be given written step-by-step instructions on how to:

(a) first, put the store "on vacation" for the longest possible time period while immediate concerns get sorted out;

(b) be able to either take over and manage, or else sell the deceased owner's eBay business (this would usually be through an agent) during the time it's on vacation.  The vacation setting will prevent any serious black marks on the eBay business in the meantime for things like unresolved INR claims. 

(c) if the proxy isn't able to do any of this, they should have written instructions on how to end all listings and close down the store (if applicable).  The account itself can be left open but inactive in case a family member might later decide to sell the business or re-open it under the same ID (which in itself is part of the reputation and goodwill of the original seller).  

If your eBay business is a source of significant income, your wishes can be included in a Will if you prefer, i.e. a statement that so-and-so is to be given the instructions on how to deal with it upon your death and/or bequeathed the business itself.  This is no different from any other major asset.  The instructions themselves can be kept in a sealed envelope filed along with your Will at your lawyer's office and amended from time to time as needed.  Alternatively, if you have someone who is fully trusted and also understands eBay selling, a specific Power of Attorney could be provided in advance, or that person named as one of the Executors of your Will.  It's probably best to provide the password(s) themselves to your chosen proxy in advance, because passwords do tend to get changed frequently.  If your eBay business is actually incorporated, it's a good idea to get legal advice in this regard anyway.  

These are very important considerations for any serious eBay seller.  Even an unexpected major illness or accident could mean the end of your eBay business if you don't have a backup plan in place.   Don't count on eBay itself to act as estate managers.  

Message 23 of 30
latest reply

One of the most dangerous settings for any eBay seller is Good until Cancelled. At least with regular listings, they will end eventually. Good until Cancelled are out there until the warm place freezes over or possibly even longer!!!! And account owner will get billed until then!!!

-CM

Message 24 of 30
latest reply

The unpaid bills for Selling fees might be the thing that shuts them down. 

Message 25 of 30
latest reply

If a seller were to suddenly pass away with no one monitoring their account for them and was to be continuously still selling items not to be shipped, for a great percentage those sellers fees would come out of their account automatically if they're set up that way at the end of the month no matter what. Not sure eBay would be able to flag and catch sold items not being shipped and comprehend why or care for that matter.

-CM

Message 26 of 30
latest reply

The unpaid bills for Selling fees might be the thing that shuts them down. 

But if the seller has a credit card attached.... but then whoever has Power of Attorney would be closing the card, or at least be aware of the withdrawals.

Mind you, I'm thinking of a relatively sophisticated survivor. Many quite intelligent people are very vague about finances.

When I read the dotCOM Boards and the illiterate rants about perfectly straightforward situations.... but I digress.

Message 27 of 30
latest reply

I think that it is a good idea to bring it up on Wed to Tyler.    Why should a lot of buyers have to file INR's and give bad feedback to bring it to ebays attention, especially if we know the seller is unable to continue.    Just gives ebay a bad reputation. 

Personally, I will have to make an instruction sheet with my passwords and what to do if I am unable to continue to sell.

Message 28 of 30
latest reply

In cases where an eBay member has passed away, I would imagine that the POA and/or executor of the estate could have an account closed by contacting Customer Service. They may be asked to provide proof that the person has passed away and/or that they have been given the right to make decisions on that member's behalf. 

Message 29 of 30
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

I think that it is a good idea to bring it up on Wed to Tyler.    Why should a lot of buyers have to file INR's and give bad feedback to bring it to ebays attention, especially if we know the seller is unable to continue.    Just gives ebay a bad reputation. 

Personally, I will have to make an instruction sheet with my passwords and what to do if I am unable to continue to sell.

This is one area where I disagree that eBay really has any responsibility.  They aren't in the business of executing Wills or being estate managers.  This is the same with any other business asset or relationship.  If you're renting a brick and mortar shop in a mall, the onus is not on the mall owner to deal with ending or assigning the rental contract.  Consider too that from eBay's point of view, they could face legal implications if they made an error in judgment in ending listings or closing a store down.  The only proper course is to have a legally authorized person (i.e. PofA or Executor) instruct eBay.  

This is why, if you're running a business that has any value and you would want someone to benefit from that value after your death, a backup plan is the only wise course.   

Also, I have to add here that many eBay sellers forget that what is referred to in corporate law as "goodwill and intangible assets" of a business have real world value, often not insignificant value either -- especially for an online business.  That includes not only the eBay seller reputation and client base, but also the seller ID, the store name, any trademarks, copyrights or internet domain names, and so on.  If the business is to retain its value for sale or transfer after the death of the owner, then it's crucial to maintain this value by having someone who can deal quickly and properly with winding it down, taking it over, or selling it. 

If your eBay business is substantial enough to be providing you with an income as a going concern and there is no one able to take over the business as owner on your death and to whom you'd want to gift your eBay business, you can appoint a professional (a lawyer or accountant for instance) as an executor of your Will with instructions to sell your business.  The professional will of course charge your estate for this, but will be accountable to your other executor(s).  If you have an eBay business that you'd prefer not to burden your surviving relations with (and that none of them are interested in running), but for whom you'd like to pass along the value, then this is an option to consider.  

In the meantime, just having someone you can trust with your password(s) who can close things off at least temporarily is a very good idea. 

Message 30 of 30
latest reply