is it possible to send a refund after 6 months?

I just got a message from a buyer that item bought and mailed Aug 18, 2021 did not arrive. He requested a refund. Is there any way to do this? eBay only keeps the sales info for 90 days, hence no refund button. I could send $ via Paypal if I had his email address.  My personal records and emails etc have all the transaction details except his email address (I'm on Managed Payments, Paypal used to send email addresses). I can ask for his email address though eBay but risk that getting flagged as a violation.  

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Hello,

Curious why you are being made aware of this only today?  Usually if an item does not arrive the customer will wait until the estimated delivery time and then touch base.  In this case the customer is coming to you 6 months later?  This is a red flag to me.  Of course I don't know the relationship between yourself and the customer.   I do know that this is a trick that buyers use to exploit good honest people which is why I would ignore this request.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I agree with edubb, this seems very suspicious. I'd message him saying something like "I wish you had notified me sooner since all information is removed from eBay after 90 days. It's not possible to send a refund from here after that time." It is highly unlikely someone who really hadn't received an item would wait more than six months to contact you. That's even longer than the time (180 days) that PayPal allows claims to be made. Unless it is a regular buyer you know I would not do it.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I have had a few buyers wait more than 90 days, usually they're from South America or Eastern European countries and they give the postal system a lot of time before they worry about refunds. Usually they've conversed with me in the month or two range and are happy to hang on.

But this has NOT happened since I've been on MP so I too am curious as to the answer, because I think the "bots" would not be happy about paypal information being given across a "gone" item after 90 days via the messaging system. The bots are ok with it whilst the item is still there because the fact the person is the buyer is apparent. I don't know if that persists beyond the 90 days?

tyler@ebay may have some definitive information for us on this......

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

This is why I print out the Order Details on every sale.

However that would not give you a PP address to refund to.

Ask the buyer for that information through eBay Messages.

This is acceptable because you have been in a transaction with them.

However, like the other posters, the long wait to make a claim makes me think that this is some sort of scam.

He can't threaten to leave negative feedback.

EBay will not entertain a claim after 30 days.

Paypal has a 180 day deadline on Claims (and demands that the buyer prove the return and delivery of the disputed item before authorizing a refund.

And card chargebacks policies vary from company to company.

I suspect that he has been turned down by all three already.

How did you ship? If the service was tracked, what did it show?

If it was not tracked neither you nor he can prove your case.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Ask the buyer for that information through eBay Messages.

This is acceptable because you have been in a transaction with them.

I don't think that ebay would allow it after this amount of item.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Good point.

But worth a try.

@busybeas_books   Was your item tracked? Did you keep the tracking number? Can you show delivery? When was it delivered?

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I print out my sales order sdetails too. This went as letter mail, no tracking. Total cost with postage was $10.77 CDN. Might be a scam, buyers feedback is still 1, the 1 I gave him back then. I'll send a message  as per msau4301's comment.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Personally since the total cost is pretty low ($10.77 CAD) I would probably refund in good faith this buyer was truly busy, or simply forgetful and just suddenly realized that the item he/she bought 6 months ago has yet to arrive. This probably isn't a very important purchase so the buyer could have truly forgot that they bought this until now lol. 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply