Name and Address differences

Has anybody else noticed that the paypal payment names/addresses don't always match the names/addresses imported to Shippo?  I know the old rule was to always ship to the exact PP address, but what are you guys doing with the new system?  Are you checking each address and revising them if different?  Or just going with what the EBay is providing?  

Is is the name portion of the address relevant to seller protection?  Or is it just the address portion?

I haven't had any issues with customers, just curious if anyone else noticed.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I don't use Shippo, if what you say is true that Shippo are using the eBay Address and don't change it to the PayPal Address (if different) after payment then I can assure you I will NEVER use Shippo.

I'm curious if you are printing postage BEFORE getting a payment because if you are that would explain the difference, if you are not then Shippo are even worse (if that's possible) than Pitney-Bowes.

The name doesn't matter on it's own.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

In the pre-Shippo days I would get address mismatches between eBay and PayPal.

If the address is significantly different I ask the buyer.

Minor differences, I google check the address format for the destination country to decide which is best to use. I have seen Shippo mangle an oddball address (detail was there but in the wrong format).

Names differences I don't care too much about (particularly for Canada or the USA).

Have never, ever had to use PayPal's "seller" protection.

-..-

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

wrote:

Has anybody else noticed that the paypal payment names/addresses don't always match the names/addresses imported to Shippo?  I know the old rule was to always ship to the exact PP address, but what are you guys doing with the new system?  Are you checking each address and revising them if different?  Or just going with what the EBay is providing?  

Is is the name portion of the address relevant to seller protection?  Or is it just the address portion?

tyler@ebayPlease check into this.

My understanding for the past 9 years is that you ship to the shipping address in the PayPal payment. Even when it does not match the eBay shipping address on file for the buyer. The buyer can change this address before paying by changing his eBay Primary shipping address or change it at checkout when buying the item. The PayPal address may not match the eBay address so the shipping address to use is the PayPal address.

I would sometime see the difference in addresses when a buyer would ship to their work place where they are during the day versus their home address. I asked for clarification of buyers when I saw this and it was almost always work versus home.  I suppose it could also be another family member or friend receiving a gift or whatever but the address to use is the PayPal address.

For eBay Seller Protection, you have to ship to the payment address on the transaction. For PayPal Seller Protection, you have to ship to the address on the payment. To qualify for PayPal Seller Protection you have to use a shipping method with delivery confirmation as well as the rule for signature confirmation for items over $850 CDN (? amount). I rarely qualified for PayPal Seller Protection because I shipped most of my low valued items using Lettermail, Light Packet, Small Packet which all do not have delivery confirmation. So I never cared about PayPal Seller Protection.

The possibility that Shippo is using an address other than the PayPal address on the payment is alarming. Where did the address come from? With three entities now handling the sale, eBay, PayPal and Shippo it would be very important to know what is happening. Not just for the Seller Protection part which may not apply to many shipments using non delivery confirmation Canada Post shipping options that Canadian sellers use.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:
... The possibility that Shippo is using an address other than the PayPal address on the payment is alarming. Where did the address come from?

The address on Shippo comes from their eBay data feed.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Shippo gets the address from ebay and they get it from the address used at payment which should be the same name and address that shows in PayPal. I haven’t seen  different addresses in pp and eBay ( after payment) for years. If this is happening though you should send specifics to tyler@ebay through the community message system....click to n the mail icon on the top right of this page.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Can you be more specific about the 'differences' to which you are referring? 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

The one I had this week was a us address.  Paypal had a business name, and eBay was just showing a persons name.  PayPal also had a 5 digit postal codes, whereas ebay had the 9 digit version.  Street and city were identical.  

I have no doubt it will be delivered to the same place, It just made me wonder if the entire address could differ too?  

If none of the other sellers have run into it, then it is probably no big deal.

I  am currenltly using different software for label creation, but I also checked the address on SHippo and eBay .  All three were the same but different from PP.  

Thanks for your input.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Neither of the two examples of differences you cite would cause me worry; I wouldn't hesitate to ship it to either address.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

When I do print out an address, I often will modify it by adding a few handwritten notes.

The addres is ;

ABC Company

123 First Street Unit 4

Anytown SK SIT 0W1

If there was a personal name on the other address, I would add  attn : Jane Doe   and also Personal Documents Enclosed (which I have found slightly more effective in stopping the receptionist opening envelopes for some reason, perhaps because it is not as generic as 'Private" or 'Confidential'.

Working in government, I learned that receptionists have remarkably high security clearances.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

@makitkatwalsk-0 wrote:

Thanks for the tag @pocomocomputing!

Hi @makitkatwalsk-0 - eBay and PayPal encourage sellers to send items to the addresses provided in their buyer's View Order Details (on eBay) or Transaction Details (on PayPal). In nearly all situations those addresses should be effectively identical, as eBay should communicate that information to PayPal when the buyer checks out.  Information given to Shippo should also be the same information.

I know you mention that the ZIP code was marginally different (ZIP vs ZIP+4) and the send-to name was different. From an eBay perspective we would consider this just fine, as the address itself has not been altered or changed. I can't speak to PayPal specifics, but I would imagine them to have something similar.

If you encounter significantly different addresses please reach out to Customer Service and alert them to that so they can get you the best course of action to take. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Is my suggestion of adding a personal name to the PP or eBay address any problem, tyler@ebay?

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Is my suggestion of adding a personal name to the PP or eBay address any problem, tyler@ebay?

Hi @reallynicestamps - sorry I missed your reply! It looks like the tag didn't quite work. If you put the '@' in front of tyler@ebay that should ping me and send me a notification.

Putting a personal name on the address wouldn't impact your coverage with Seller Protection. The biggest thing we would look for is making sure the item was delivered to the address that the buyer input when they paid. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 13
latest reply