I dont understand shipping from canada to the united states? how much do i charge?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I dont understand shipping from canada to the united states? how much do i charge?

j44b
Community Member

You should box it, weigh it & measure package. Go to Canada Post web site where you can enter the information of package, you will need to kind know where it is going. CP has a find a rate section on web-site. If its small enough and light you can also use light package or light tracked package which is a fixed cost. All the information to help you will be there.  I find shipping to the US expensive, for the items I've shipped there from Western Canada to Eastern/Mid USA. WWW.Canadapost.ca Hope this helps

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

twexyl
Community Member

I also want to rant. I went to purchase a product from an eBay seller who advertised that they sold and shipped worldwide, and when I "pulled the trigger" a message came up about some sort of shipping restrictions in place, so I couldn't pay for the item. The seller was in Olympia Washington USA, and I am 2 hours north of them in Vancouver BC Canada. Its not like I'm some Nigerian scammer. Then when I ask the seller what is going on and why cant he sell to a Canadian from just across the border from them I get a snarky email back asking me not to bother them, they don't intend to do anything. It wasn't a matter of expense, as I offered to pay all costs up front via Paypal, so I'm left with the impression that the seller was just being a jerk.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

You should be able to use small packet for most of your items. It does not have insurance or delivery confirmation. 

It would a good idea to go the the Canada Post site and see what options are available for the U.S. and what each option includes. 

To find a price use the CP calculator -  http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

If you use Paypal shipping to print out your labels you will receive up to 18% off of counter prices on Expedited parcel within Canada and to the U.S. You would also receive up to 14% off on Tracked Packet USA and about 8 or 9% on Xpresspost.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

It's even easier to use Calculated Shipping , if your item cannot travel by Letter rate.*

Weigh and measure your item including packaging.

Under Ship Your Item on the Sell Your Item form choose Calculated.

Choose the service you want to use. Sometimes you will want tracking and sometimes you won't. Sometimes the tracking is included in the cheapest available rate.

Now under International Shipping, choose Calculated and Custom Location.

Choose USA.

Choose service you want.

Do you want to ship outside North America?

Choose Offer Additional Service.

Choose other countries you want to ship to. Do NOT choose USA again nor N&S America, those will overwrite the earlier USA rates.

Choose service you want.

Scroll down.

Enter the dimensions of your parcel in metric

Enter the weight of your parcel in metric.

And now the program will show your customer how much you will charge him for shipping to his doorstep. You don't need to do anything else.

That being said, it is useful from time to time to go to some of your items , choose Shipping and Handling and enter another country (for USA use 90210 as the required zipcode). This will give you an idea of what your customers are seeing.

*Very basically, no more than 2cm thick and 500grams weight

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for all your help!! I appreciate all the wonderful feedback!
Message 6 of 6
latest reply