STOP AUTOPLAYING AUDIO on your web page

bar8710
Community Member

This is the most annoying thing, stop playing audio on your pages without asking me first!!  You also make it really hard to find it to stop it, so I just close the page and SHOP SOMEWHERE ELSE.

STOP DOING THIS

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Use an ad-blocker to stop those annoying ads. It's what I did awhile back.

That said, eBay.CA should be screening their advertisers to eliminate those that cross the line.

@happy_pigeon

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Chrome blocks the gamiss.com redirect script from running and the actual ad too most of the time ...
but that hugely annoying audio file still plays!

The music consists of a 5 second excerpt from a golden oldie tune looped continuously over and over... drives the user mad!

Chrome displays a security warming icon at the far right of the browser address bar stating:

" this site is attempting to run unauthorised scripts"

This has to be driving away shoppers every day this bad behaviour is allowed to continue.

The redirect script is sends shoppers to gamiss.com which is an infamous Chinese operated apparel site.

Totally unacceptable.

Edited to add:
I'm certainly no security expert but what other purpose could the hidden audio file have but to disguise the redirect script to gamiss.com.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Yes, it's very annoying.

eBay.CA is an embarrassment and needs to get their act together.

No one should have to download  AdBlocker to view a site.

For trouble free viewing go to eBay.COM.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

“No one should have to download AdBlocker to view a site.

For trouble free viewing go to eBay.COM.”

No thanks. I’d rather use a free AdBlocker software program that serves me well on ALL websites that I visit than to suffer the massive annoyance of having to pay for all my purchases in USD plus conversion fees to PayPal. I don’t shop outside Canadian websites and their inherent CAD anywhere for any reason at present.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Hi -- I can assure you that this is not a thing that we have chosen to do. Another user in another thread has called it for what it is: a "bad" ad: 

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Site-Issues/the-issue-of-eBay-pages-being-redirected-to-unsafe-websites...

We don't "screen" (or not "screen") the advertisers that appear on eBay pages. That is the job of the advertising vendor -- for example, Google ads. Unfortunately, due to the sheer volume of advertisers, they don't always do a great job.

Obviously, this is not an experience we want for our vendors, so I'll be forwarding this to the person in charge.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply