March 7th 2018 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone -

Opening the chat, and looking forward to meeting with you tomorrow!

Thanks for the tags and messages over the weekend. I'll be able to respond to them tomorrow and Friday. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Hi Tyler, I sent you a personal message but as I said earlier I am going to be a broken record on this issue until it gets fixed.   

The issue is economy, standard shipping on .com only allowing 7 calendar days.  When we use .ca for shipping within Canada this is what we are allowed 1 - 15 business days. for economy.  Listing on .com should be similar for economy within Canada.   Economy should be 1 to 15 days within Canada, that would allow a oversize letter mail come from some small town in BC to some small town in Newfoundland by truck (comparable to media mail). 

Economy shipping within Canada should be 1 to 15 business days as we have it on .ca

Standard shipping within Canada should be 1 to 10 business days as we have it on .ca.  

What is the status, have you contacted anyone?  What did they say?  It is pretty simple to add the dates as we have on .ca, they do it for all the other countries, just not Canada.  

within Canada on .ca.jpg

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Hi Tyler, I have noticed that quite a few people from other countries also have a US address to ship to. That is fine with me as I don't ship to certain places.  But if they don't pay right away & I send them an invoice, they are able to change the address to the country they are from. How is that possible? They shouldn't be able to change the address that is registered with PayPal. I then have to cancel the transaction & lose another sale.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Hi Tyler,

I'm having a discrepancy on my estimated delivery times on my listings vs what appears on the order details page after a sale.

All my listings state the estimate for delivery is 2 - 16 business days.  When I have sales the view order details page gives estimates which fall along the lines of my listings sometimes however there are some that give estimates more like 2 to 10 business days or some that give no estimates at all.

I had a sale yesterday on March 6 and the view order details page is saying that the estimated delivery date is between March 14 to March 21. As per my listing the estimate should be 2 to 16 business days giving an ETA of March 9 to March 28.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Hi there, hope I'm doing this right! I recently received an item from a seller that wasn't as described. I contacted them and they didn't agree that the description was wrong so I opened a return request. They contacted me immediately saying they would resend the parcel but asked if I would please close the case first. Is this correct? Should I be closing the return request before I receive the correct item? As the item came from overseas it is about to disappear from my purchased items as is, and the seller has also removed the listing. I'm worried I won't have any recourse if I close this now and then still don't receive the correct item. Please let me know what I should do. Thanks for your time!
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Good morning, Tyler. I have to drop this and run since I'm doing one of the webinars at 10 am CST.

1. May I please express my extreme gratitude that we have happy_pidgeon available on the Community Boards as well as yourself now as the needs arise? It has made such a vast improvement to the ebay Canada Community experience, especially for new users, to be able to benefit from the input of ebay staff when summoned to problems or discussions. Sellers too. We used to argue amongst ourselves for days about some intricacy of a policy or procedure and now all that is cut quick because we can ask for information from ebay proper. We used to wait a week until the Chat was opened to take it to Raphael for advice and I certainly appreciated that we could do that at the time but this is even better. I'm very grateful for it. Thank you, @happy_pigeon!

2. Will ebay Canada soon benefit from the Guaranteed in X Days program we see on ebay.com? I offer same-day shipping 360 days of the year and can get parcels to buyers within four days across more than half of Canada (more than that if the buyer chooses Xpresspost on checkout) so I'd like to see it although I do recognize there is, at least, featured text on our listings that says it can be seen if it's available in four days or less. But I'm looking for more, I'd like to see it like ebay.com does it. Coming soon? 

Thank you. The webinar is underway. 

Maureen 

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Has eBay just started to trial their group buying experience?

I tried to find my radios listing on .ca

Had to go to Collectible Radios -  then Tube Radios - but you could not search there any more. You had to look in Tube Radios 1920-1930 and then a separate category for 1930-1940 and so on for five categories. Most buyers could care less when they were made

So now the buyer cannot make one search in Collectible Tube Radios - they have to make five (count em - 5) separate searches by date to find my radios, when in the morning it was one search to find all Tube Radios. There are only ever about 150 Tube radios on in Canada on .ca at one time and now does a buyer has to look in five (count em - 5) separate category searches to find them all.

Then the same day, a strange thing has happened - the five categories have disappeared 8 hours later.  It was there most of the day and disappeared. The page they were on was totally different. The normal search for Canadian Tubes Radios is below:

Collectibles

Radio, Phonograph, TV & Phone Collectibles

Collectible Radios

Collectible Tube Radios

Filter for Canada

The Collectibles Tube Radios in the five categories that I mentioned, were broken down into five boxes with the search date headers underneath - for example; Radios 1950 – 1960, Radios 1940 – 1950 and so on. The page was unlike any eBay page I have ever seen before - there was a lot of advertising at the top of the page, the whole left side was grey and full of categories and the entire layout was just different and now it is gone.

So, was this a trial run? If so its going to be disaster.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Hi Tyler, I sent you a personal message but as I said earlier I am going to be a broken record on this issue until it gets fixed.   

The issue is economy, standard shipping on .com only allowing 7 calendar days.  When we use .ca for shipping within Canada this is what we are allowed 1 - 15 business days. for economy.  Listing on .com should be similar for economy within Canada.   Economy should be 1 to 15 days within Canada, that would allow a oversize letter mail come from some small town in BC to some small town in Newfoundland by truck (comparable to media mail). 

Economy shipping within Canada should be 1 to 15 business days as we have it on .ca

Standard shipping within Canada should be 1 to 10 business days as we have it on .ca.  

What is the status, have you contacted anyone?  What did they say?  It is pretty simple to add the dates as we have on .ca, they do it for all the other countries, just not Canada.  

within Canada on .ca.jpg

Hi @musicyouneed - when it comes to the default time range allowed on .com for a buyer to open an Item Not Received request for a generic shipping service with no tracking number, I want to be up front: I do not believe that this is something that will change. A lot of that comes down to the listing site, and I realize that if a Canadian buyer finds your item on .com they are allowed to open a request after the 7th day from payment. As we've discussed alternatives before, listing with shipping services that offer tracking would be your best option to avoid this unusual scenario.

We're still working on getting more information about why estimates would be so varied. I have reached out to our product teams and have been working to help them understand your experience, and getting more detail.

In response they've requested more data: specifically more examples including buyer supplied postal code, your item's location postal code as well as item numbers. I'll reply to your private messages with more details. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:

1. May I please express my extreme gratitude that we have happy_pidgeon available on the Community Boards as well as yourself now as the needs arise? It has made such a vast improvement to the ebay Canada Community experience, especially for new users, to be able to benefit from the input of ebay staff when summoned to problems or discussions. Sellers too. We used to argue amongst ourselves for days about some intricacy of a policy or procedure and now all that is cut quick because we can ask for information from ebay proper. We used to wait a week until the Chat was opened to take it to Raphael for advice and I certainly appreciated that we could do that at the time but this is even better. I'm very grateful for it. Thank you, @happy_pigeon!

original.gif

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@2nd-time-around-jewelry wrote:

Hi Tyler, I have noticed that quite a few people from other countries also have a US address to ship to. That is fine with me as I don't ship to certain places.  But if they don't pay right away & I send them an invoice, they are able to change the address to the country they are from. How is that possible? They shouldn't be able to change the address that is registered with PayPal. I then have to cancel the transaction & lose another sale.

Hi @2nd-time-around-jewelry!

A buyer is able to change their shipping address at any time before they check out - either through the standard check out flow, or through an invoice you send. As long as you ship to the address used in the View Order Details (and tracking bears that out) you are protected if an Item Not Received request is escalated to us.

If a buyer changes their address to a country you don't ship to, you can definitely cancel the transaction with the "Problems with buyer's address" reason so it doesn't impact your account standing!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@jessteta wrote:
Hi there, hope I'm doing this right! I recently received an item from a seller that wasn't as described. I contacted them and they didn't agree that the description was wrong so I opened a return request. They contacted me immediately saying they would resend the parcel but asked if I would please close the case first. Is this correct? Should I be closing the return request before I receive the correct item? As the item came from overseas it is about to disappear from my purchased items as is, and the seller has also removed the listing. I'm worried I won't have any recourse if I close this now and then still don't receive the correct item. Please let me know what I should do. Thanks for your time!

Hi @jessteta - you definitely are doing it right! 😄

Please, please, please do not close the request before your situation is resolved. If the item has been removed from the site, and the member is asking you to close it out before they will send you a replacement I'm particularly concerned about that and would recommend asking eBay to 'Step in and help' when it's possible for you to do so (usually 3 business days from when you opened it).

Most sellers on the site work very hard to get you items as quickly as possible, and work harder to resolve issues that you may have with an order as long as you contact and work with them.

If you have further concerns about this particular transaction please feel free to send me a private message on Community and I'll see what specific advice I can give. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@edubb101 wrote:

Hi Tyler,

I'm having a discrepancy on my estimated delivery times on my listings vs what appears on the order details page after a sale.

All my listings state the estimate for delivery is 2 - 16 business days.  When I have sales the view order details page gives estimates which fall along the lines of my listings sometimes however there are some that give estimates more like 2 to 10 business days or some that give no estimates at all.

I had a sale yesterday on March 6 and the view order details page is saying that the estimated delivery date is between March 14 to March 21. As per my listing the estimate should be 2 to 16 business days giving an ETA of March 9 to March 28.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi @edubb101 - that seems unusual, unless we're looking at a generic time frame for the service itself versus a calculated estimate based upon shipping address at checkout.

Happy to take a closer look if you'll send me the item as an example in a private message on Community!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:

Good morning, Tyler. I have to drop this and run since I'm doing one of the webinars at 10 am CST.

2. Will ebay Canada soon benefit from the Guaranteed in X Days program we see on ebay.com? I offer same-day shipping 360 days of the year and can get parcels to buyers within four days across more than half of Canada (more than that if the buyer chooses Xpresspost on checkout) so I'd like to see it although I do recognize there is, at least, featured text on our listings that says it can be seen if it's available in four days or less. But I'm looking for more, I'd like to see it like ebay.com does it. Coming soon? 

Thank you. The webinar is underway. 

Maureen 

Hi @momcqueen!

1. Isn't @happy_pigeon incredible? I've really appreciated her presence on the boards, from overseeing the implementation of the new platform and enabling the 'tag' feature so you can much more effectively 'page' us, to handling the Seller News and Updates threads. Well deserved kudos, to be sure. 🙂

2. I don't have a specific answer for you on that. I do know that Guaranteed Delivery is a work in progress on .com, and is getting more and more refined. I hope that if/when it's brought over that it will be in a more polished format and be an easy feature to add to your listings. Fingers crossed!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@rosscd57 wrote:

Has eBay just started to trial their group buying experience?

I tried to find my radios listing on .ca

Had to go to Collectible Radios -  then Tube Radios - but you could not search there any more. You had to look in Tube Radios 1920-1930 and then a separate category for 1930-1940 and so on for five categories. Most buyers could care less when they were made

So now the buyer cannot make one search in Collectible Tube Radios - they have to make five (count em - 5) separate searches by date to find my radios, when in the morning it was one search to find all Tube Radios. There are only ever about 150 Tube radios on in Canada on .ca at one time and now does a buyer has to look in five (count em - 5) separate category searches to find them all.

Then the same day, a strange thing has happened - the five categories have disappeared 8 hours later.  It was there most of the day and disappeared. The page they were on was totally different. The normal search for Canadian Tubes Radios is below:

Collectibles

Radio, Phonograph, TV & Phone Collectibles

Collectible Radios

Collectible Tube Radios

Filter for Canada

The Collectibles Tube Radios in the five categories that I mentioned, were broken down into five boxes with the search date headers underneath - for example; Radios 1950 – 1960, Radios 1940 – 1950 and so on. The page was unlike any eBay page I have ever seen before - there was a lot of advertising at the top of the page, the whole left side was grey and full of categories and the entire layout was just different and now it is gone.

So, was this a trial run? If so its going to be disaster.

Hi @rosscd57 - I know that we do tests regularly. When I do a similar search I find many results, but if I go the category route I can go to Collectibles>Radio, Phonograph, TV, Phone>Radios>Tube Radios>And then 4 sub categories related to time frame of the item.

We adjust categories a few times a year (usually in conjunction with Seller Updates). I don't think that radios were impacted though. 

It sounds like you encountered a product based search option, but I don't see it on my end when I try to recreate it. Would you grab a screenshot if you come across it again?

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for joining this week!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 15 of 15
latest reply