The New eBay Community Boards

Hi Everyone -

We created this forum as a central place to discuss changes, suggestions, concerns, etc... about the new Community. We're excited about the upcoming changes and think you'll like them too!

Thanks

Kalvin

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 78
latest reply
77 REPLIES 77

I also have problems posting images from the internet using the usual IMG SRC tag.  For example:

If I try the attachment link it still does not work.  What am I doing wrong?

Message 21 of 78
latest reply

Hi Pierre,

I'm working on getting to the bottom of that as well. At first I took it to be just that the servers were still processing information, etc... but I'm trying to confirm that and will let you know as soon as I've figured it out.

Thanks!

Kalvin

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 22 of 78
latest reply

Hi Pierre -

The process of adding images to your postings has changed with the upgrade in that it will no longer accept the img src html code to insert. To add an image you should use the Attachment upload (which I noticed you mentioned you tried but didn't work) can you tell me what happened exactly? I've added my avatar image here using the function and it appeared to work.

Thanks

Kalvin

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 23 of 78
latest reply

Step by step:

Clicked on the paper clip

Selected "image"

Entered the link http://www.pierrelebel.com/pics/Family/Octavia.JPG in the box

CLICKED ADD

Then "Preview" and th eimage did not show up.

Then "Post" and the image still did not show up. 😞

Message 24 of 78
latest reply

Hi again Pierre -

Okay I've gotten to the bottom of the avatar thing. With the upgrade the Avatars were not brought over because they are no longer linked to My World at this time. Anyone who wants an Avatar will want to upload that image using these one of the following sets of instructions:

1. Click on "Preferences" at the top right of the Forum window (but below the eBay header). It's next to "Log Out", "Print" and "Help". That will take you right to your preferences with the ability to upload your Avatar, signature, etc...

OR

1. Click on "Profiles" under the "My Content" heading on the left-hand menu bar.

2. Click on "My Preferences"

Thanks!

Kalvin

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 25 of 78
latest reply

Hi Pierre,

Okay the problem is that you're trying to add a URL as an attachment rather than the attachment itself. You need to browse to the actual image file on your computer rather than using the URL of an image already on the web (the difference being that the image will now be hosted by the community boards system rather than you hosting it elsewhere and linking to it.)

Thanks

Kalvin

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 26 of 78
latest reply

Thank you Kalvin

Are you saying it will no longer be possible to insert an image in a post that comes from the internet?

We will be limited to images hosted on our computers?

Is that progress?  Is that an improvement?

Message 27 of 78
latest reply

Hi Pierre,

Yes, that's correct - you are on longer able to link to images that are hosted elsewhere on the web. This is a move in the right direction because members are responsible for their own content and linking to images that are not their own open them to the possibility of including content that they no longer have control over (and/or do not have rights to use).

For example, if a member links to an image that they do not own, they may be violating the rights of the image owner. Additionally, should that owner decide to replace the original image with something else (whether as an act of revenge or unwittingly) that violates the board usage policies, the post could be removed and the member who linked the image would still be in violation for having included it in their post.

Thanks,

Kalvin

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 28 of 78
latest reply

Hi all,

I know this is a completely trivial comment but where has all the colour gone?

Over the past year or so all of the e-bay site has turned into a generic looking colourless cyber wasteland.

E-bay's look used to be visually fun and friendly, just like the site used to be.

I came on here today to see what's new and it was like being snowblind, I didn't know where to look and everything all blends in together.

It's like being in a hospital corridor, it's supposed to be soothing and non-stimulating but it's just kind of creepy.

I miss the old e-bay in more ways than one.

Just my two cents worth.

Cheers! Heather 

Message 29 of 78
latest reply

Looking at recent posts where I used images from the internet such as election opinion polls or charts representing fluctuation of the Canadian dollar, or government tax tables for GST/HST, I frankly find it difficult to believe your change of policy restricting such images is a good thing.

It is your site, you own it and you can do whatever you want with it.  It does not mean we have to approve of your new unannouced policies and like the changes. 😞

Message 30 of 78
latest reply

Hi Pierre,

That's definitely a good point and in those situations going forward you will just need to save the image to your computer first, upload it and then delete it (unless you'd like to keep it.)

Thanks

Kalvin

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 31 of 78
latest reply

Kalvin.  I wish it were that simple.  It is not.

Typically, a link to a chart showing fluctuations in the Canadian dollar is updated constantly during the day (and the week, and the month) so there is no need to post new chart every hour, day, or whatever.  Everytime a user clicks the "reload" or "refresh" button, the chart is updated automatically.

The same was true with the elecion opinion poll chart whcih updated daily reflectiung new polls added to the average, etc...  And I could keep on going all day with other examples of images that have been useful over the years.

An image loaded to one's computer is static and cannot be automatically updated. 😞  

Also, will that change of policy apply to eBay.com discussion boards once they move to this new improved version or is it exclusive to eBay.ca?

Message 32 of 78
latest reply

Hi Pierre,

That's a good point and for non-static content you'll likely need to just link to the information (using a link, rather than the image) instead.

I can't speak for the US explicitly but I can say with relative certainty that the same will be for their forums post-upgrade as well (it's been consistent across all of the platforms that have been upgraded thus far.

Thanks,

Kalvin

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 33 of 78
latest reply

Changes, changes, changes...

It keeps a few at eBay employed and justifies(?) their wages...

The boards were meant to convey thoughts , ideas and knowledge. The former boards did an excellent job as they were!

Can't wait for the next time-wasting improvement - getting all giddy as I type....

Message 34 of 78
latest reply

twangerstudios
Community Member

Answer Centre - We're changing the categories to make it easier for members to understand the appropriate category to post into (and thereby find the right information more quickly).
ppl can't be pigeonholed

especially when the "QuestionsByTopic" list goes away after i go into one of the categories.  if i want to post another question i won't go up one level to see if there's a different category for my new question

is this deficiency already obvious to everyone?

Message 35 of 78
latest reply

What happened to the  "back to top"  button ?

Message 36 of 78
latest reply

Hi Twanger' -

Thanks so much for pointing that out! We're adding the Answer Centre category list to the top of the right-hand side bar within each category just like it is on the Answer Centre home page. It should have been there already but was overlooked, so sincere thanks for pointing it out!

Also, if you click on the larger blue "Post a Question" link on the right, it will provide you with a drop down box to select the appropriate category as well.

Thanks!

Kalvin

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 37 of 78
latest reply

Hi Nuvisitors -

Good catch! It's supposed to be showing but for some reason it's not. We're working on it right now... it should be showing up in the lower right-hand side of the page.

Thanks

Kalvin

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 38 of 78
latest reply

wenrath
Community Member

I used to be able to "hover" my cursor over a topic and the first sentence or so of the first post would pop up. That helped me decide whether I wanted to click to read more. Now I have to click and actually go to the topic's page, then click back again if I'm not interested. 😞

Message 39 of 78
latest reply

wenrath
Community Member

But I do like being taken back to the last page I visited on a thread I've read before.  Much better than having to start at the beginning or end every time.:-)

Message 40 of 78
latest reply