Canada and EU sign historic trade agreement during EU-Canada Summit: What Does it Mean for Ebay.ca?

So this happened. http://pm.gc.ca/eng/news/2016/10/30/canada-and-eu-sign-historic-trade-agreement-during-eu-canada-sum...

Canada and EU sign historic trade agreement during EU-Canada Summit

Brussels, Belgium
October 30, 2016

Canada is committed to deepening trade and investment links with new and traditional partners. Negotiating trade agreements, such as the Canada-European Union (EU) Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA), will benefit Canadians, create new job opportunities, and help to grow the middle class and those working hard to join it.....

Does this mean that ebay Canada sellers will be able to export to buyers in the UK, France and Germany without those customers being assigned prohibitive import fees on arrival? I always inwardly cringe when I think what sum will be added to my outgoing order for duty before it reaches the customer overseas.

I mean two ask Raphael at Board Hour this week but it slipped my mind. Next week then. 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Canada and EU sign historic trade agreement during EU-Canada Summit: What Does it Mean for Ebay.ca?

*I meant to ask Raphael at Board Hour.....

Autocorrect! 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
...Does this mean that ebay Canada sellers will be able to export to buyers in the UK, France and Germany without those customers being assigned prohibitive import fees on arrival? I always inwardly cringe when I think what sum will be added to my outgoing order for duty before it reaches the customer overseas.

Depends on what you sell, often duty is not the big extra cost, it's the VAT (Value-Added-Tax)  -- with the base VAT rate for Germany at 19%, the UK and France at 20% (and VAT is not going away).  Still every bit less, won't hurt.

-..-

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Does this mean that ebay Canada sellers will be able to export to buyers in the UK, France and Germany without those customers being assigned prohibitive import fees on arrival? I always inwardly cringe when I think what sum will be added to my outgoing order for duty before it reaches the customer overseas. 

I would think it will have absolutely no effect on most of us, unless you are exporting wholesale to the E.U., or are a Canadian manufacturer/distributor trying to break into that market.  Just as Canadians still have to pay HST/GST on incoming personal purchases from abroad over a certain amount, Europeans will continue to have to pay the VAT on their purchases from Canadian eBay sellers. 

The sector that will see an enormously positive difference will be Canadian manufacturers and exporters to the E.U. who have been trying for decades to compete in that market against tariffs on certain classes of goods.  In exchange, you'll likely see new items appear here, such as a lot more European food products on Canadian shelves.  

That said, it could make a big difference for small-scale producers/manufacturers (even like me), who would love to be able to make agreements with EU retailers to carry their products and to ship them in quantity to an EU distributor without the hefty tariffs that drive up the base wholesale price.  

I think Trudeau's government was exactly right to do this now.  It will generate momentum amongst small to medium Canadian businesses.  The big multi-nationals already have the means to penetrate the EU market through subsidiary companies, but what was needed was access for the average Canadian business. 

It was also perfect timing in terms of shielding Canada, at least partially, from the economic slaughter that will occur for Canadian businesses should (now President-elect) Donald Trump do what he's been promising all along and repeal NAFTA or replace it with a trade deal completely favourable to the U.S.

(As an aside, I never thought I'd have to use those two words together: "President" and "Trump".  Actually, I never thought I'd see a grown-up 15 year old egomaniac with impulse control problems standing on a stage as President-elect together with Bannan and the other rogues' gallery of purveyors of bigotry and hate.  God help us all.  We may have a lot more to worry about soon enough.)

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Free trade deals signed by Canada have never helped the Canadian consumer.

For many decades Canadians have been paying higher prices for vehicles made in Canada than  Americans are for the same made in Canada  vehicles.   Residents of Ontario pay  much , much, much more for electricity  than the government charges the US for the same  electricity.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply