Anyone Else Tired of Cancelling $CAN Listings?

It's my fault but I'm finding it really annoying cancelling listings that were automatically listed in $CAN by the Sell Similar tab  and relisting them in $US. I'm convinced these little things are done just to drive you away from Ebay for good. What point are they trying to make to have the listings come up on auto $CAN? Are they resentful that we can make an extra 20-25% on the exchange by listing in US?

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Anyone Else Tired of Cancelling $CAN Listings?

There might be something to that if anyone had to do the conversion.  But no one does, ebay displays only the local currecny equivalent in search result in each country.  At some point it changed from showing both.  Only when you click on the listing can you knoe what currency it is in for sure, and ebay still shows both listing and converted to local amounts.  

When you are specifically looking to pick out listings in other currencies from the results it isn't easy.  Some of them you can tell by the "eveness" of the price, but you still can't for auctions, markdown manager used or seller listed at an odd price ones.  Even if someone is really dumb and doesn't realize the difference between US$10 and CAN$10, ebay makes it impossible not to 

Message 21 of 34
latest reply

I find it extremely annoying. I've always listed in USD and all my current listings are in USD so why on earth is there any reason for them to default to CAD when I go to relist them? There isn't any rational reason as far as I'm concerned except to **bleep** me off about eBay more than I already am.

Message 22 of 34
latest reply

For every item you put up , I can put up one better. 331644858424.

"Obviously there will always be far more US$ lsitings owing to the population diffference. That doesn't prove its "better."

Of course it does. There is no argument for the fact that majority of Canadian  jersey selling ( who must be really stupid people ) sell in USD. For that reason I guess your right?

To be fair. Im only speaking about Hockey jersey. ...Stamps , video games, books, etc. These are for others to have to work out.

Message 23 of 34
latest reply

Yes that seller has the most listings in Canada., a multiple of the can$ seller I referenced, with about the same sales.  So?  How does number of listings prove  us$ is in any way more exposure, higher price, or better in any way?   Looking at those sellers it would seem the $ can s doing better with about the same sales from far fewer listings.(plus saving 2.5% exchange)  Perhaps that there are fewer can$ listings contributes to ebay's finding that can$ sell better

Message 24 of 34
latest reply

"Perhaps that there are fewer can$ listings contributes to ebay's finding that can$ sell better"

Or perhaps Ebay has noticed a decrease in Canadian sales due to the majority of Canadian sellers selling in USD?????? 

Message 25 of 34
latest reply

I think you might of nailed it!

Message 26 of 34
latest reply

For me, the bottom line is that non-Canadians residents just do not know the value/exchange rates of Canadian currency. It confuses them. Hop down to, say, Arizona and ask someone on the street what the CDN dollar is worth in US funds. They will not know. It's even more confusing to overseas buyers. However, the value of US currency is, generally, known throughout the world as it is a benchmark for which other currencies are valued.

70% of my sales are to overseas buyers. 20% is US. Only 10% of my sales are within Canada. Listing in CDN dollars will only serve to confuse 90% of my customers, and potential customers. Listing in US dollars will NOT confuse the Canadian buyers that I do have, nor will it confuse my overseas buyers. I will NEVER list in CDN. If ebay.ca forces this upon us, then I will start listing on ebay.com

Message 27 of 34
latest reply

Totally agree.   Most of my sales are to the US, so why would I list in Canadian $.  

As I said earlier, Americans are confused with a listing in Canadian $.  This was on the .com site.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Bidding-Buying/Crossing-Boarders-The-USA-and-Canada/qaq-p/24480427

Message 28 of 34
latest reply

Exactly. And, most buyers are not going to take the time to find what the conversion rate is. They're going to see the listing in CDN dollars and say "forget this" and move on. I know eBay says they have data/research proving that listing in CDN is actually beneficial and will increase the chance of your item selling. I don't buy that for a second. I've been selling in retail stores, mail order and online for decades and know firsthand that CDN money is considered to be almost "Monopoly money" to folks who don't live here. I lived in Windsor, ON for 20 years, which is a BORDER town, and folks who came over from Detroit were almost always perplexed by CDN money. Can't really blame them.....if I'm shopping and see stuff listed in, say, Yen or Australian Dollars, I have no clue what that currency is worth and I'll more than likely skip the auction.

Message 29 of 34
latest reply

"so why would I list in Canadian $.  "

That question has been asked - often - in one form or another - by many Canadian sellers who have previously and are currently listing in US$.

The only answer I can offer is that eBay, following a six month analysis of listings by Canadian sellers - suggests that  Canadian sellers may achieve better results by listing in Canadian dollars.

Whether Canadian sellers follow eBay suggestion and recommendation is up to them.  Sellers like yourself who are currently very satisfied with the sales results they get on eBay while listing in US$ have no reason to change currency.

Personally I approve of the recommendation and more than half my listings are listed in Canadian dollars, all with "free shipping" to compete with other eBay sellers offering "free shipping" (61% of all eBay listings - all categories - offer "free shipping".

Different strokes for different folks

Message 30 of 34
latest reply

if I'm shopping and see stuff listed in, say, Yen or Australian Dollars, I have no clue what that currency is worth and I'll more than likely skip the auction.

But if you are shopping on dotCOM, you would see the Canadian or Japanese or Australian listing in US dollars.
If you are shopping on dotCA, you see the price in Canadian (and US  Japanese or Australian currency), depending on the currency it was listed on.

That is you list an item on dotCA for $9.99 US with shipping to the USA.
If you look at it from dotCA you see the price as $10.35 C and as $9.99 US
If you look at it from dotCOM you see the price as $9.99US.

OT-- Is there an eBayJapan?

Message 31 of 34
latest reply

Message 32 of 34
latest reply

I was assured by eBay rep this would be corrected....another eBay lie. They dump on sellers to appease lyin buyers

Message 33 of 34
latest reply

"....this would be corrected"

???

What exactly would be corrected?  It is a new eBay.ca policy, explained by eBay staff and management a while back on the weekly thread.

Message 34 of 34
latest reply