Fedex for shipping to the u.s.

Anyone using fedex to ship larger items to the U.S. ( Automobile Fender) Any problems or concerns . I would like to try FEDEX . I've heard about hidden custom charges and brokers fees and sometimes customers having to pay extra when they receive their item.
Thanks
Bill
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Fedex for shipping to the u.s.

xeposter
Community Member

@winner188 wrote:
Anyone using fedex to ship larger items to the U.S. ( Automobile Fender) Any problems or concerns . I would like to try FEDEX . I've heard about hidden custom charges and brokers fees and sometimes customers having to pay extra when they receive their item.
Thanks
Bill

You can try calculating the shipping cost at https://www.fedex.com/ratefinder/standalone...I don't know if it would show you any fees though.

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I shipped an item to the States via Fedex and found that they charged brokerage fees even though there were no taxes or duty owing.

The fee was $65.  Perhaps other couriers don't charge brokerage fees unless the value is over the threshold ($800)  the  way they do for items coming into Canada. ($20).   I don't know.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/About-Fedex-Returns-to-the-US/m-p/320623/highlight/true#M...

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

I shipped an item to the States via Fedex and found that they charged brokerage fees even though there were no taxes or duty owing.

The fee was $65.  Perhaps other couriers don't charge brokerage fees unless the value is over the threshold ($800)  the  way they do for items coming into Canada. ($20).   I don't know.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/About-Fedex-Returns-to-the-US/m-p/320623/highlight/true#M...

Brokerage fees are different than taxes and duty,,in reality Brokerage fees is the fee the couriers , trucking company's etc charge to do the paperwork involved to transport an item across a border,,,if there is duty and taxes that's added on,,,,simply put when you mail an item via Canada Post to the US you fill out a CN22 form,,,all the info is on it,,,what is in the parcel,,value,,etc. Shipping large items by courier or a trucking company involves more paperwork,,,so they have to charge for the time invested,,,if the paperwork is not done correctly the item will get held at the border,,,causing delays for the whole load,,,costing money,,,,and time.  I do all the shipping documents for the company I work for and it involves a lot of time and paperwork just for a parcel going by courier or truck. There's a lot of forms to fill out that the average person doesn't realize,,contents of the shipment,,where it's made,,weight,,what's it used for,,where's it going,,value,,prior notice forms for the border which has to be done 24 hours before the item reaches the border,,etc, etc,,,so in reality,,$65 is not much,,

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@jyerxa10 wrote:

Brokerage fees are different than taxes and duty,,in reality Brokerage fees is the fee the couriers , trucking company's etc charge to do the paperwork involved to transport an item across a border,

jyerxa10:  I know what brokerage fees are.  Smiley Frustrated

That's the whole point.  There were no taxes or duties owing on the package and therefore no paperwork to complete  but Fedex  still charged brokerage fees.

In other words, even if the item is valued under $800 which it probably is, there could still be brokerage fees.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

There is still paperwork to complete even though no taxes or duties are owing.  That fact must be proven when a private company presents paperwork to allow a truck to cross the border.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@maggiebvintage2010 wrote:

There is still paperwork to complete even though no taxes or duties are owing. 

Yes, I know!

I did it before shipping.  

Shipping from Fedex is very labour intensive and requires much more work that shipping from the PO.

Thing is:  By the time the item is actually shipped the paperwork has already been completed by the shipper.

After that if there are no import fees Fedex merely has to toss the package into the correct pile and they are charging $65 for those two seconds of heavy labour. Smiley Tongue

Also, note that there is no brokerage fee when receiving an item in Canada via courier and it's valued under $20 and is duty free.  I'm pretty sure, although I don't know this first hand because I haven't received items from each company,  that this applies to all couriers.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

You can try calculating the shipping cost at https://www.fedex.com/ratefinder/standalone...I don't know if it would show you any fees though.

Alex

The sender is in Canada, so that link to the US branch is not useful.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Alex

The sender is in Canada, so that link to the US branch is not useful.

Oops, this should be the correct link: https://www.fedex.ca/ratefinder/standalone.

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

@maggiebvintage2010 wrote:

There is still paperwork to complete even though no taxes or duties are owing. 

Yes, I know!

I did it before shipping.  

Shipping from Fedex is very labour intensive and requires much more work that shipping from the PO.

Thing is:  By the time the item is actually shipped the paperwork has already been completed by the shipper.

After that if there are no import fees Fedex merely has to toss the package into the correct pile and they are charging $65 for those two seconds of heavy labour. Smiley Tongue

Also, note that there is no brokerage fee when receiving an item in Canada via courier and it's valued under $20 and is duty free.  I'm pretty sure, although I don't know this first hand because I haven't received items from each company,  that this applies to all couriers.

That is not really how it works! Any shipment over $200 (now $800) requires a formal entry, it's almost impossible to DIY a formal US customs entry and even if you could you would have to be present when it crosses the border.

Private carriers like FedEx or UPS usually include brokerage regardless of the value using their Express services. If you use a Ground service they charge a brokerage fee no matter what the value is. $65 sounds VERY high, UPS is probably a bit cheaper and of course ALL these fees are negotiable (I used to pay UPS a flat $15 regardless of value).

One thing for sure, If you are shipping to consumers in the US you should have any and all brokerage/duty charges billed back to the shipper (Free Domicile billing) and include that amount in the shipping charge to the customer. Having the courier charge the recipient is a recipe for disaster especially with FedEx.

One other thing to mention, both UPS & FedEx are highly negotiable on shipping rates as well as brokerage fees if you have any sort of regular volume. Retail counter rates are interesting but don't reflect reality unless you are just a one-off shipper.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I've only shipped out of Canada via courier one time, and that was the return I described earlier.

The paperwork I mentioned was what I had to do at the Fedex counter.

Compared to CPO it was much more detailed and time consuming.   If every shipment took that much time it would very significantly increase my workload.

I sent a beaded purse and they even wanted to know the exact materials the bag was made out of.

Apparently that wasn't even the end of it and you're saying even more was to follow.

Yikes!

Message 11 of 11
latest reply