How do I report a seller who's playing the reporting system?

How do I report a seller who dragged out the resolution of an unsatisfactory transaction (a broken component) past the 45 day limit for reporting?  I was strung along with apologies, commitments to sending another part, requests to be patient with overseas shipping etc. until they would no longer reply to any emails.  

I didn't know about this 45 day limit on reporting a transaction until I finally gave up and made the attempt.  I've given up on getting satisfaction with this transaction but I resent the fact that the seller is still selling this same item, presumably with the same lack of commitment to his customers.

I can't even find the means to provide negative feedback.

Yes, I'm a sucker.  But this is the first problem I've had on Ebay after dozens of deals.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

coretek1
Community Member

Im no expert on this but this may be on you now.  The fact that it dragged out past the 45 days means ebay is no longer obliged to investigate.  When you buy something always open up a line of communication right away in all purchases.  Ask a small squestion to the seller and see if you get a response.  That way later on if you have a problem with a purchase & you are ignored, you will know the seller has replied before.  If they drag their feet on issues, give them a week grace period to rectify the situation.  Basically it is a live and learn exerience for you.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

There's nothing you can do about the seller past the 45 days deadline and it sounds like you also past the 60 day deadline to leave feedback.

Now that you know about the deadlines, pay close attention to the dates on your future purchases. If an item is not received by day 30, file an item not received dispute. If an item is not described, file a not as described dispute. Contact the seller in either situation before filing the disputes as some sellers will try to resolve any problems you encounter.

Hopefully you will not encounter another seller like this one.

**********************************************************************************

Non payers should get unpaid item strikes and be added to block bidders lists. Period.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

If your Paypal payment was made from your credit card, call the customer service 1-800 number on the card and ask about a chargeback.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

coretek1
Community Member

Im no expert on this but this may be on you now.  The fact that it dragged out past the 45 days means ebay is no longer obliged to investigate.  When you buy something always open up a line of communication right away in all purchases.  Ask a small squestion to the seller and see if you get a response.  That way later on if you have a problem with a purchase & you are ignored, you will know the seller has replied before.  If they drag their feet on issues, give them a week grace period to rectify the situation.  Basically it is a live and learn exerience for you.

Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

There's nothing you can do about the seller past the 45 days deadline and it sounds like you also past the 60 day deadline to leave feedback.

Now that you know about the deadlines, pay close attention to the dates on your future purchases. If an item is not received by day 30, file an item not received dispute. If an item is not described, file a not as described dispute. Contact the seller in either situation before filing the disputes as some sellers will try to resolve any problems you encounter.

Hopefully you will not encounter another seller like this one.

**********************************************************************************

Non payers should get unpaid item strikes and be added to block bidders lists. Period.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Thanks. In hindsight I see that all their foot dragging was a conscious attempt to keep me from reporting until it was too late. Live and learn. I'm assuming there's a means to alert bad sellers to others, regardless of the time frame. Another thing I noticed scanning through my correspondence with this seller is that, at one point, they changed their name. I assume this is to start fresh?

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

If your Paypal payment was made from your credit card, call the customer service 1-800 number on the card and ask about a chargeback.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I'm assuming there's a means to alert bad sellers to others, regardless of the time frame.

Yes, you can add a Response to any feedback, your own or the seller's, indefinitely. The most effective feedback is calm and factual. Note however that this will not change his feedback and if he does a lot of selling you may be pages away from notice within a short time.

Another thing I noticed scanning through my correspondence with this seller is that, at one point, they changed their name. I assume this is to start fresh?

No big deal. Sometimes a product line changes and the name is no longer relevant. Sometimes the name was poorly chosen (vulgar or childish).

Since feedback and DSRs follow the name change, it's not a particularly useful disguise.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply