How do I tell if a seller is selling a counterfeit ?

I was looking at the listings for the ADIDAS STAR WARS REBEL XWING MILITARY HOODIE and some of them are listed for 50-60$ dollars. Several of the sellers are top rated. However there is a pretty large jump between the first few listings and the last. I just have a gut feeling that the items listed are fakes as it is coming from hong kong and the photos are stock photo only. 

Is there any way for me to tell? I've never purchased Adidas products before so not really sure how to tell the value of. 

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re:How do I tell if a seller is selling a counterfeit ?

I'm not familiar with that product but generally, if the price is too good to be true..then it isn't true.

It looks like it may be a hard to find item and perhaps a collectable so it is unlikely to be authentic if a  seller has sold or has multiple jackets available.

I would stay away from any name brand item sold on ebay directly from Asia. Sure there are counterfeit items available in North America too but the odds of one from Asia being authentic is slim.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re:How do I tell if a seller is selling a counterfeit ?

Read the seller's feedback. Any percentage under 98% is weak to poor.

Look at the Detailed Seller Ratings. Watch for low marks (under 4.5 stars) in communication and description.

As noted, look for an unusually high number of identical garments, unless you can be assured the seller has a brick and mortar business in the same field.

Don't buy directly from Asia. Asian manufacturers sell to the brand, and the brand sells to retailers. Direct sales from Asia are either knockoffs, seconds or total counterfeits. Quality and sizing will be erratic.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply