Just won a bid... but what is this 'import tax'?

Hi, I'm new to Ebay and this is my first bid won: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SALE-MoMa-MUJI-Double-ring-Notebook-B5-7mm-48-SHeets-Pack-of-5-Beige-F-S-Jap... .

I was interested in it because of its cheap price and free shipping. However in their description it says, "Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer's responsibility. Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding/buying. These charges are normally collected by the delivering freight (shipping) company or when you pick the item up - do not confuse them for additional shipping charges." 

What exactly does this mean and how much more should I be expecting to pay? 

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

First of all, welcome to ebay!

Import tax is duty. When you place a winning bid or buy something from outside of Canada, you become an importer. Some sellers on ebay.com and ebay.co.uk use the Global Shipping Program which assesses and charges your duty up-front but others rely on the carrier to do it when applicable.

With the item you linked to, I would have to suggest that with its relatively low value in CAD, you won't be charged duty on it when it crosses the border and comes into Canada. 

If memory serves, if you import anything valued at less than $20 CAD by post, you are exempt from import taxes.

That is the short answer. Other community members will have other insight to share.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Fortunately, because the notebook is coming from Japan, you will not have any import charges

That's the short and simple.

If an item you import is valued under $20CDN (about $16USD) no Canadian duty or SALES TAX or shipper's service fees are charged.

The postie will drop in in your mailbox and that's it.

If you are purchasing  on eBay dotCOM or eBay dotcodotuk, there is a seller protection program called the Global Shipping Program  which charges buyers those import fees up front, before the seller even ships.

Canadians hate it.

If you want to know why, go to the Buyer Board and (starting at the end) read the 5000+ posting threads on the GSP.  I find gin helps in this, but a nice unoaked chardonnay is also soothing.

Items subject to the GSP are marked

Customs services and international tracking provided

Basically if the item is under $100 and has that note, don't bid.

And BTW, if you are shopping on a mobile or if you use Galley View in Search, the note doesn't show up.

Welcome to eBay.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply