My first neg!

Hi all,

Well, it finally happened, I got my first neg today. This id I only have just over 130 fb, my other id I have over 2800, so I guess it was about time someone finally got mad at me for providing stellar service, great packaging, reasonable prices, friendly communication, and quick shipping eh?

New user, lives in the U.S.,  $3.49 item, didn't like the shipping cost.  There was no contact from buyer, just a neg and "the shipping cost was almost twice the price of the magazine" comment. I have just sent this note to her, and will wait and see if I hear back before I reply to feedback.

Hello -----,

I just wanted to let you know that I have received your feedback and was disappointed to hear that you are unhappy with your purchase.

I would like to point out that the magazine was shipped to you from Ontario, Canada and weighed over 200 grams. The cost for shipping, including tax was $6.20, the price charged for shipping was $5.95, as stated in the auction listing.

I see by your feedback and registration date that you are fairly new to ebay, so I understand that you may be unaware that negative feedback is usually reserved for problematic, fraudulent, dishonest or difficult transactions. It is not usually used for a transaction that is completed promptly, and includes only the cost of the item and shipping as stated up front in the listing.

I am sorry that you are unhappy with the cost and if you would like to return the magazine I would be happy to refund your entire purchase price including the cost of shipping.

I look forward to hearing from you. Heather

I probably won't hear back but who knows? I thought ebay was going to make buyers contact sellers before leaving negs or opening disputes etc.

Well, I am sure this won't help my already completely dismal sales. Should buyers be able to leave negative feedback for a transaction that is problem free?  Why place the bid if you don't like the shipping cost?

**SIGH!**     

Heather

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: My first neg!

If sellers looking for help are going to have to worry about being embarrassed and put down for their perceived lack of experience (not true in Heather's case at all) then we won't feel comfortable coming to a place that exists to help us solve problems and learn more about selling.  It's bully behaviour and it's not wanted or needed in this discussion forum.

Message 21 of 38
latest reply

Kudos.

There are a few here who know all. And when you disagree with them they an get a little irritating. Especially, when you call them out. And don't get me started on the alternate usernames tat some hide behind.
Message 22 of 38
latest reply

Not saying it wasn't condescending.

Just sayin' that a condescending arrogant tone is not unusual here.

Also, that particular poster is usually not a bully.  That is, for him the post was out of character ......... but for others a condescending-arrogant tone is the norm.  Smiley Happy

(Sort of sets the stage for others.)

But, hey......... life is too short to go and on about this.

Message 23 of 38
latest reply

I don't think it's a waste of time at all to point out rude and inappropriate behaviour here when it occurs.  Maybe doing it more clearly and more often would help improve the general tone of these boards. 

I disagree with your impression about this particular person's behaviour.  From what I've seen, he seems to have a habit of bashing or cutting down many who come here to express an opinion or seek advice from other sellers. 

It's unwarranted, arrogant and, I agree with the opinion of an earlier poster, it is bullying when posters resort to name-calling or personal insults and the result is to make the recipient feel demeaned. 

Time for everyone here to act like respectful adults.  Is that so difficult? 

Message 24 of 38
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Good news for me, the negative feedback has been removed. The CS rep had a look and said that yes, the shipping cost that was charged was clearly stated in the listing, and the feedback would be removed within 24 hours. I just checked and it is indeed gone yeah, thanks ebay!.

I have been reading the subsequent posts and it seems I missed something exciting here (jeepers you go off to live your real life for five minutes and miss all of the action Smiley LOL). I didn't get to see the post in question that seemed to rankle some feathers and I don't know who put it there but I have a feeling it may have been someone I was having some good natured fun with earlier. I guess it was not perceived as good natured. In which case I sincerely apologize to you (you know who you are, I won't call you out).

Femmefan, thanks so much for your last post, you are correct as usual, I must admit that you always give good and accurate advice, and usually a good laugh too.  I thank-you and I am sure that there are many others who read the discussion boards that feel the same way. 

I will clarify what I was saying in an earlier post. I stated that I used to be able to ship for less, that is because I usually sell small flat items that have lower weights and I could just slap on a couple of stamps and send it on it's merry way.

Now, however I have to use more expensive shipping services, I realize it is not actually tracking that is included in light or small packet, and that it would not stand up to scrutiny by PayPal if a case was made regarding non-receipt.

My point, which I didn't make very clearly, was more in regard to the fact that ebay is basically forcing us to use more expensive shipping options so that we can put that little "tracking number" in with the buyer's shipping information, and we can keep our TRS status and all of the benefits that are supposed to go along with that.

I do have a tendency to throw the word tracking around all willy nilly, it's really more that I just don't know what to call it otherwise and ebay says it is an acceptable option for keeping up your 90% tracking figure to the U.S.

I do appreciate that you pointed out the difference though, because sometimes I forget to think about the fact that there are a lot of newer sellers that read these boards and it can cause confusion for them, so clarification is always a good idea.  I know that there are many ebayers like myself, we don't post on the boards all that often, but read them every day, so it is good for everyone when the responses aren't  just directed at the poster but give helpful information for all of the lurkers as well. You are a gentlewoman and a scholar!

Thanks so much everyone!

Heather

Message 25 of 38
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

If you switch to Free Shipping within Canada, you automatically get 5 Stars for Shipping Cost. Also your Shipping FVF is calculated on the basis of your domestic shipping cost. so you can save some pennies there.

As usual, great posts femme. You always take the time to post long and very detailed messages (just like Pierre) and it's really appreciated. I would like to point out however that free domestic shipping only protects sellers for domestic shipments as far as DSRs are concerned. USA and International buyers can leave any rate they want if their shipping is not free.

It seems I also missed the inappropriate comment from another poster, and maybe it's better that way.

Finally, I'm really glad your neg was removed threebears63too!! I agree that it was really not deserved. I also think your message to the buyer was very professional and I would have probably done the same. Some buyers - especially new buyers - do not know how the feedback system works and more often than not, it's up to sellers to "educate" them because eBay will not do it. 😞

Message 26 of 38
latest reply

Hi all,

The latest update. I received a reply from my buyer tonight

I told her I would be happy to send her refund through PayPal as soon as the package arrives. Now we'll both be happySmiley Happy

Cheers! Heather

Message 27 of 38
latest reply

Congratulations!  That is great news.

Message 28 of 38
latest reply

The best possible result - I'm happy for you.  And it seems through this experience the buyer will have learned something valuable for the future: read the information in the listing.  Smiley Happy

I think we probably all understand what the sting of a undeserved negative feels like, especially those of us who work so hard at providing great service 100% customer and satisfaction.  Good on you!!

Message 29 of 38
latest reply

Hi all,

Don't know what happened to my last post but the copy of the note from the buyer was missing. This is what it said:

Anyway, further update I got this nice little gem this morning, it made me smile.

From my buyer:

Isn't that sweet?

It's all good!

Heather

Message 30 of 38
latest reply

Hi Threebears...

The earlier one disappeared because you can't include text from buyers.... even if it is "good" stuff..... I found this out a week or so ago.....

Message 31 of 38
latest reply

Yes, my post(s) vanished too, on the basis that we can't discuss posts that have been removed, as I was subsequently informed, . 

A bit of absurd over-censorship, I think.  We might as well be in a correctional institution (pardon the pun).  It's certainly beyond simple editing -- so does that mean that this post discussing the removal of a post that was removed will be removed too??  Time will tell.

Message 32 of 38
latest reply

"A bit of absurd over-censorship,"

eBay owns the site and set up the rules.  They have not really changed in fifteen years:

NOT allowed:

• Advertising items, listing, services, or commercial websites, including offers to trade, "wanted" posts, or charitable solicitations (see more information about charitable projects below)

• Attempting to impersonate eBay staff or other eBay members

• Creating additional user IDs to avoid posting limits

• Discussing ways of getting around eBay policies

• Discussing or reposting deleted posts or warning letters

• Discussing restricted or suspended members, or members who are no longer registered

• Enabling, encouraging, or instructing others to leave eBay so that they can sell, buy, or participate on sites other than eBay that includes the sale of merchandise, auction-style listings, or services, such as off-eBay forums, off-eBay groups, and other sites

• Encouraging others to violate eBay policies or the eBay User Agreement

• Hostile comments and interpersonal disputes

• Posting an individual's contact information or email address

• JavaScript or active code

• Misusing the Report link to maliciously or frivolously report posts

• Posting email content from other individuals

• Posting information about member or listing violations (Instead, please review our policies and report the violation by contacting us)

• Posting material that in any way violates the eBay User Agreement or community values

• Posting web addresses (URLs), websites, or item numbers in the title of a post or threaded discussion

• Refusing to follow eBay staff instructions

• Repetitive, disruptive, or inappropiate threads

• Unacceptable images or text

• Other actions that interfere with site operations

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/everyone-boards.html#what

The overall policy: http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/everyone-boards.html

In the old days we used to get "pink slaps" for discussing posts that had been pulled by the moderators.  I do not know if the new moderators from Lithium will work the same way or just give warnings.

Message 33 of 38
latest reply

I suppose what I got was a "pink slap".  I had no idea that pointing out that a post was correctly removed for legitimate reasons was a no-no!

Message 34 of 38
latest reply

Message 35 of 38
latest reply

So, what's the policy on discussing the discussion of removed posts?

To the OP:  Glad to see another vendor from Bracebridge.  I don't think there are many of us.

Message 36 of 38
latest reply

NOT allowed:

• Advertising items, listing, services, or commercial websites, including offers to trade, "wanted" posts, or charitable solicitations (see more information about charitable projects below)

• Attempting to impersonate eBay staff or other eBay members

• Creating additional user IDs to avoid posting limits

• Discussing ways of getting around eBay policies

• Discussing or reposting deleted posts or warning letters

• Discussing restricted or suspended members, or members who are no longer registered

• Enabling, encouraging, or instructing others to leave eBay so that they can sell, buy, or participate on sites other than eBay that includes the sale of merchandise, auction-style listings, or services, such as off-eBay forums, off-eBay groups, and other sites

• Encouraging others to violate eBay policies or the eBay User Agreement

• Hostile comments and interpersonal disputes

• Posting an individual's contact information or email address

• JavaScript or active code

• Misusing the Report link to maliciously or frivolously report posts

• Posting email content from other individuals

• Posting information about member or listing violations (Instead, please review our policies and report the violation by contacting us)

• Posting material that in any way violates the eBay User Agreement or community values

• Posting web addresses (URLs), websites, or item numbers in the title of a post or threaded discussion

• Refusing to follow eBay staff instructions

• Repetitive, disruptive, or inappropiate threads

• Unacceptable images or text

Message 37 of 38
latest reply

Hi all,

Whoops, I guess I should have known I couldn't include the note from my buyer.  I received an apology and thanks for being great to work with. Am I allowed to say that?  Anyway I think you get the idea. 

Hey aztec! Another Muskokan, cheers!  I don't know anyone else around here (except my daughter) who sells on ebay. So, it's nice to "meet" you.

Heather

Message 38 of 38
latest reply