NIB new in box (taped) item from 15 yrs ago remove to see if working or not?

hi so i purchased a new taped box 15 yr old item but the tester button is not working yet the listing said 'singing' so i don't know if it sings ... if the tester button worked i would most likely leave it in the box should i wish to resell it...question 1: Do I unstrap the doll and see if 1.5 V cell batteries are corroding and replace to see if it actually works 2. will it decrease the value if I open the box & remove 3. if i don't remove i guess i can't list is as 'singing' like the seller did with me 4. should i ask the seller to reimburse me something since i don't know if it 'sings' & not as described that i would have to spend $ to replace 4 x 1.5 V cell button batteries?!

thank you : D

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: NIB new in box (taped) item from 15 yrs ago remove to see if working or not?

You can get those batteries for almost free from a dollar store. $1 is almost free nowadays. You would not open a case would you. You received what was described (new not opened). Did the seller state that they opened it and put new batteries in it? Hope you are not expecting 15 year old batteries to still have a charge.

Oh and this is a buyer question so I don't know why you posted it in seller central.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Re: NIB new in box (taped) item from 15 yrs ago remove to see if working or not?

Oh and this is a buyer question so I don't know why you posted it in seller central.

I don't think that it really matters where a question is posted but the OP is asking about scenarios if they resell it so the topic is just as relevant to the sellers board as it is to the buyers board.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@ez2curgr8 wrote:

hi so i purchased a new taped box 15 yr old item but the tester button is not working yet the listing said 'singing' so i don't know if it sings ... if the tester button worked i would most likely leave it in the box should i wish to resell it...question 1: Do I unstrap the doll and see if 1.5 V cell batteries are corroding and replace to see if it actually works 2. will it decrease the value if I open the box & remove 3. if i don't remove i guess i can't list is as 'singing' like the seller did with me 4. should i ask the seller to reimburse me something since i don't know if it 'sings' & not as described that i would have to spend $ to replace 4 x 1.5 V cell button batteries?!

thank you : D

What do you want to do with it? Keep it or sell it? A good seller would not entertain a partial refund and should say "return for refund".

Selling it, and not being able to prove it works, leaves you with "not working for parts only". Opening it up, fiddling with it, finding you can't make it work, voids any return privileges as you have altered it.

Batteries are most likely long dead. Thing is, corrosion can go downstream into the processor.

Decide what you want to do, keep it or return it. Then decide how you want to list it. Finding that it does work, after, is on you, as you decided not to return it.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Opening it up, fiddling with it, finding you can't make it work, voids any return privileges as you have altered it.

If they actual alter it then they can't return it but opening the box and replacing the batteries shouldn't be considered as altering an item.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply