New Boards

First observations:

1) Why do you show the wrong registration date for posters?  My profile shows 2003 while I was in fact registered with eBay way back in the last century (1998)

2) I noticed that the link shown in some recent posts are no longer linked.

Message 1 of 106
latest reply
105 REPLIES 105

Re: New Boards

Smiley Frustrated quick-typed emoticons athing of the past, I see 😞 a pain for some who only wish to use a small number.

And one has to manually click to see what you posted?  What's with that?  (Maybe also change tab label so that while previewviewing one knows to click "edit" to retrun there?)

Message 41 of 106
latest reply

fruitacres wrote:

Sandy, don't lose site of the fact you are looking at a new and different site, what you see on US site you won't see here (re: missing avatar)

Which also brings up, since our logins are the same on every eBay site I used to think our avatars stayed the same - mine is from a couple years back (one of the last updates in US did a number like this as well)

On the LiveWorld forums, your forum avatar came from your LiveWorld forum profile page.

On the new (Lithium) forums, your forum avatar comes from your eBay feedback page. The avatar you have showing in the posts you've made here is the same avatar as what is currently shown on your eBay feedback page and your eBay "My World" page.

Quick-typed emoticons are recognized on the new forums... here's a list of the text and what is displayed...

Message 42 of 106
latest reply

Interesting there is no direct link to Community>Myworld>member, only found it by clicking on my own name, which why would I do that? 😉

So, profiles are gone?  Replaced by Settings? What happens to existing LiveWorld avatars when the conversion takes place?  Do we have to hunt through our own archives to re-upload?

BTW, the sign in/out button really should be a "button", larger and more visible

Message 43 of 106
latest reply

@fruitacres wrote:

So, profiles are gone?  Replaced by Settings? What happens to existing LiveWorld avatars when the conversion takes place?  Do we have to hunt through our own archives to re-upload? 

Looks to me like there will no longer be separate avatars for boards and for regular eBay.

Message 44 of 106
latest reply

@sandypurins wrote:

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Interesting observation. I do not know why there is no avatar. I assumed it was because I never chose one. If it is supposed to pickup the eBay default, I do not know why. I do not recall ever setting one nor specifically turning it off somehow recently or in the distant past.

I do like it without the default avatar. Nice, simple, clean. Hopefully it will not get turned on.

OK, thanks...maybe Kalvin will provide the answer.  I agree with you that it's nice, simple and clean without the default avatar.

Hi sandypurins,

Just wanted to chime in with a few additional details about Avatars:

• You're right, current Avatars are based on your My World images.
  • If a member has the default image since they haven't specified an image, the default image won't carry over to the Boards, as is the case with pocomocomputing.
  • Members currently don't have the option to change or add an Avatar to their profiles.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, 

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 45 of 106
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

The current US discussion boards hosted by LiveWorld will log out automatically after about an hour, but no announcement is presented; I just notice that I have to log in again.

I'm never logged out of the US forums unless I close my browser.

Message 46 of 106
latest reply

@fruitacres wrote:

Smiley Frustrated quick-typed emoticons a thing of the past, I see 😞 a pain for some who only wish to use a small number.

And one has to manually click to see what you posted?  What's with that?  (Maybe also change tab label so that while previewviewing one knows to click "edit" to retrun there?)

IMO, the smilies are ugly ...I can barely tell what they are.

Message 47 of 106
latest reply

Another item for consideration by eBay.  Last time the update of the US (at least) boards happened the Post/Preview/Cancel buttons were on the far right of the screen as they currently are here.  After several complaints that depending on screen resolution or attempting to use community functions on a mobile device accessing Classic Site) the buttons would not be visible during post edit they were moved back to the left as they were previously.

So consider this one member's request to move the buttons back to the left where they are not lost.

(ability to access Community from a mobile device using the mobile app I'm sure is waaaaaaaay too much to ask, I would presume, except that other social media sites do provide for communicating with each other easily from mobile apps)

Message 48 of 106
latest reply

Default font size appears to be at least one size smaller than on current US site.  Intentional?  Fixable?   By user choice or admin?

Message 49 of 106
latest reply

@fruitacres wrote:

Default font size appears to be at least one size smaller than on current US site.  Intentional?  Fixable?   By user choice or admin?

In My Setting -> Preferences -> Display, you can change the text size from default medium to large.  I did this on the first day as I found it too small for my old eyes. Others had mentioned the default was small and suggested this large font fix. No problems since. It only affects the eBay.ca forums and does not change my default browser font sizes so nothing changed in my other eBay windows or other Internet Sites.

I guess it depends on what size display that you have. I have an old 17 inch tube monitor running at 1280x1024 pixels. I use Firefox 21.0.0. I have not checked other browsers except Apple Safari on an iPad where I read these forums one day. Looked good on the iPad.

Message 50 of 106
latest reply

I lost my Avatar after the change but got it back by uploading it to my feedback page.

Message 51 of 106
latest reply

Just jumping in with a test to see what shows up if I'm avatar-less. 

Should we allow Comic Sans to be one of the font choices?

Message 52 of 106
latest reply

Okay I'm not sure if i still understand. previously we did only have one common avatar. Whatever was in the MyWorld was the same here on the boards. Always thought it was stupid and redundant that they re-programmed it to have two different ones, or the same if we chose to.

I forget I have the Charlie Brown pic on my MyWorld because I hardly ever look at that!

So will we still be able to change the MyWorld avatars? Which in turn coincides with the board avatar like the old days? Or are they saying we have to change the MyWorld now and be stuck with that forever and ever?!

Message 53 of 106
latest reply

Your My World avatar will be used as your discussion board avatar; it will no longer be possible to use two different ones.

There will be no change to the way your My World avatar works. Changing it will be the same process as it is now. The only new thing is that it will be used as your discussion board avatar.

Message 54 of 106
latest reply

Thanks. So there's nothing new, it's just back to the old way! Splitting the two and adding a Community profile was pretty redundant. Not sure why they decided to concentrate on giving us two profile and two bios (not including a ME Page if we want) when there were so many more important things to work on last "upgrade".

Are they getting rid of the community meassage boxes too that get filled with spam?

I see now that the "3" font is more along what the recent '4' font used to be.

Message 55 of 106
latest reply

I just looked at the prefernces to allow more posts per page. But all I saw was a Bio Page, a huge page about "tagging" whatever that is, a macro, mobile, social media tabs. Is any of that even necessary for basic help and discussion on the boards?

Insert a video? Why?

A spoiler tag? This isn't a movie website. (Where those do come in handy!)

Message 56 of 106
latest reply

@blue_eyes_james wrote:

Thanks. So there's nothing new, it's just back to the old way! Splitting the two and adding a Community profile was pretty redundant. Not sure why they decided to concentrate on giving us two profile and two bios (not including a ME Page if we want) when there were so many more important things to work on last "upgrade".

Are they getting rid of the community meassage boxes too that get filled with spam?...

Maybe the LiveWorld hosting just wasn't able to automatically pull in the My World avatar and profile?.

I don't see any separate message board setup.

Message 57 of 106
latest reply

@blue_eyes_james wrote:

I just looked at the preferences to allow more posts per page. But all I saw was a Bio Page, a huge page about "tagging" whatever that is, a macro, mobile, social media tabs. Is any of that even necessary for basic help and discussion on the boards?

Insert a video? Why?

A spoiler tag? This isn't a movie website. (Where those do come in handy!)

I can't see the utility of several of those, either (some I don't even know what they are either).

But macros will be very handy: Pre-prepared chunks of text that you can automatically enter in your comment. How many times have you written the same response to chronic problems like what to do when a buyer doesn't pay?

Social Media is eBay's new big thing, I'm sure we'll be getting instructions and promos about it.

Some of the options might just be standard toolbar things that Lithium includes in most message boards by default because  most of their clients' boards want them. Like when  you buy a car and you have to get the fancy sun visor because it comes in the same package as a feature you really want like cup holders. This is just Phase 1 of the rollout, there is plenty of tweaking still to do, to make it fit eBay.

More posts per page is under Preferences > Linear Layout. So is the option to jump to the first new post when returning to a thread, one of the features that I've sorely missed in the current version of the boards.

Message 58 of 106
latest reply

I just looked at the preferences to allow more posts per page. But all I saw was a Bio Page, a huge page about "tagging" whatever that is, a macro, mobile, social media tabs. Is any of that even necessary for basic help and discussion on the boards?

Insert a video? Why?

A spoiler tag? This isn't a movie website.

I can appreciate why you're asking about these features but I can also easily imagine how they could be useful. The ebay "community" has a lot of potential. Far more, I believe, than is commonly realized.

Some people are unlikely to ever use the message boards at all. But having a wide range of features is probably a good way to attract more usage in the long run and create a more valuable resource for all eBay users.

So far I really like what I have seen from these new boards.

Will be good if the links to feedback and item listings come back soon!

Message 59 of 106
latest reply

Hello Everyone!

Just popping in from the UK , from THE GIF THREAD, to see what awaits us...

Hmm, that looks promising - seems we can put at last html into the reply box again...

Message 60 of 106
latest reply