Requesting to cancel the transaction over expired goods.

Hello Everybody,

Recently I won an auction, but upon going to pay I noticed that the goods were expired.

I have kindly been asking the seller to cancel the transaction and after a few messages I still havent been able to cancel the transaction and I think this person is trying to get a strike against me.

Part of the last message stated from them "it's up to the bidder to read the description before bidding," which is true. Im guilty this time of not reading the very end of the plain type face of the expiry date.  I'm guess I've always assumed that it's not allowed to sell expired goods here, and people generally wouldn't do it.

It's starting to get on my nerves.  If someone bought something from me and then discovered it was expired I would just send them a cancel transaction ASAP.  This person, has already sent me a payment request after messages stating that I no longer wanted the item.

I've sent them another message requesting a cancel transaction, and straight out asking them if it is their intent to get a strike against me.  I just don't know what to do at this point.

What is your opinion on this?

There is no reasoning with the unreasonable.
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Requesting to cancel the transaction over expired goods.

It all depends on what you are purchasing and where you are purchsing it from.

If it is legal to sell the item in the sellers location then you must pay for the item.

If it is illegal to sell the item in the sellers location (  such as an expired car baby seat in Canada ) then you should not need to pay and ebay should cancal the transaction.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

The seller is probably trying to make sure you can't leave FB and in the process you could end up with a strike.

If you get a strike call ebay and they will almost certainly remove it after they read your messages.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Why did you NOT read the description the first time?  Sellers take the time to type in the descriptions for your information, the least you can do is read it.

I had two items returned this week.  First was for pin, described as 4 7/8" long, reason for return : "too big for me".  It cost me $18.50 to ship, eBay fees were $8.08, making my loss $26.58.

Second item pair of earrings, returned for "not suitable fastening".  Clearly listed as "Post", description includes "Suitable for PIERCED EARS ONLY", picture actually shows backing.  My loss:  $18.50 for shipping and $10.35 eBay = $28.85

Neither of these purchasers bothered to agree to the Mutual Release so I can get my eBay fees  back.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

worldwandering - When did you make that purchase and what is the listing number?

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Neither of these purchasers bothered to agree to the Mutual Release so I can get my eBay fees  back

gifts....If a buyer doesn't respond to a mutual cancellation case you can close it after 7 days and receive your fees back.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thank You for the info.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply